  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 10:42:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

just yesterday had the World of Warcraft Box in my hands and
it was completely clear the labeling they did
it has in BIG lettering "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED" in the
front cover, FRONT COVER!
in the same box it also has various warnings about additional
fees, not only subscription but online fees

so WoW is well labeled for its product and HL2 is horribly
misleadingly labeled for its product, but both are from vivendi
so why the difference? the difference is called VALVE!
WoW is an example of PROPER labeling and HL2 is an example of
complete IMPROPER labeling cause Valve is DELIBERATELY trying
to force a intrusive and abusive technology to the retail market
and knows it can't disclose what it is cause its so wrong

would a cigarets maker do in its own will a labeling in their
product stating smoke KILLS?
obviously not!
so will Valve disclose the true nature of steam in its own will?
OBVIOUSLY NOT! they want to mislead and deceive! so only with
intervention of regulators can valve be stoped
yes i know, its sad when a company makes the regulators intervene
but unfortunately with Valve it must be, cause they don't give a
damn about consumer rights, only about themselves

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

More about : wow box proves valve fault

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 10:42:22 AM

One Punch Mickey wrote:
> (wipes flecks of foam from glasses)
> In today's installment of 'Gibbering Paranoia' ....

.... games publisher Vivendi decided to improve the labelling on its new
game WoW, after criticism of the labelling on it's HL2 box.

Head honcho of Vivendi said "Whilst Valve were instrumental in the box
design for HL2, we are the publisher of the boxed game and must bear
ultimate responsiblity for the labelling. The final decision on the
design is ours.

"There has been much valid criticism of our HL2 box, so we took a
firmer line on WoW and insisted on putting the internet requirement in
big letters on the front."*

In other news, the UK Department of Health today announced that
cigarette manufacturers were no longer allowed to advertise their brand
name on the packet.** Instead the whole of the packet surface must be
given over to a new stark government warning: "Cigarettes kill you.
Horribly"

* May not be an actual true quote
** May alsonot be entirely true.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 11:34:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

(wipes flecks of foam from glasses)
In today's installment of 'Gibbering Paranoia' ....
Related resources
February 15, 2005 12:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Nice new name dfool
February 15, 2005 12:44:29 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> One Punch Mickey wrote:
>> (wipes flecks of foam from glasses)
>> In today's installment of 'Gibbering Paranoia' ....
>
> ... games publisher Vivendi decided to improve the labelling on its new
> game WoW, after criticism of the labelling on it's HL2 box.
>
> Head honcho of Vivendi said "Whilst Valve were instrumental in the box
> design for HL2, we are the publisher of the boxed game and must bear
> ultimate responsiblity for the labelling. The final decision on the
> design is ours.
>
> "There has been much valid criticism of our HL2 box, so we took a
> firmer line on WoW and insisted on putting the internet requirement in
> big letters on the front."*
>
> In other news, the UK Department of Health today announced that
> cigarette manufacturers were no longer allowed to advertise their brand
> name on the packet.** Instead the whole of the packet surface must be
> given over to a new stark government warning: "Cigarettes kill you.
> Horribly"
>

> * May not be an actual true quote
> ** May alsonot be entirely true.

Honest mate, fair dinkum, may lightning strike me dead,
I was there, I oughta know, it's what he REALLY said

;o)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 1:22:09 PM

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> just yesterday had the World of Warcraft Box in my hands and
> it was completely clear the labeling they did
> it has in BIG lettering "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED" in the
> front cover, FRONT COVER!
> in the same box it also has various warnings about additional
> fees, not only subscription but online fees

The HL2 box says "Minimum Requirements"...and then under it it says
"Internet Connection"....it can't get much simpler than that...

You are suppose to read these min specs before you buy any PC game...if you
don't...it's your own fault....
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 1:37:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> just yesterday had the World of Warcraft Box in my hands and
> it was completely clear the labeling they did
> it has in BIG lettering "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED" in the
> front cover, FRONT COVER!
> in the same box it also has various warnings about additional
> fees, not only subscription but online fees

HL2 clearly states on the system requirements that you need an internet
connection. If you are too stupid to check it, maybe you should shoot
yourself?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 5:15:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Iain Dingsdale" wrote...

> HL2 clearly states on the system requirements that you need an internet
> connection. If you are too stupid to check it, maybe you should shoot
> yourself?

He tried...... he missed !!!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 5:32:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN
[...]
YAWN YAWN YAW...(message truncated)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 7:24:05 PM

I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 7:33:19 PM

On 2/15/2005 8:24 AM The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm.
brightened our day with:

> I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.

depends on how careful you are with your v's ph's and f's

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The HL2 box says "Minimum Requirements"...and then under it it says
> "Internet Connection"....it can't get much simpler than that...
>
> You are suppose to read these min specs before you buy any PC game...if
you
> don't...it's your own fault....

Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for SINGLE
player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
register the game online to play the single player game.

World of Warcraft is I believe a multiplayer-only game so its labeling is
accurate.
February 15, 2005 8:09:56 PM

The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm. wrote:
> I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.

....salve? To heal, to save, soothing ointment etc

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell
February 15, 2005 8:25:49 PM

"The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm." <"The drummer for Def
Leppard only has one arm."> wrote in message
>I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.

Other than salve (which was already taken), I couldn't think of any
others...

Have a look here:

http://www.rhymezone.com

They couldn't even come up with salve... doh!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 9:32:49 PM

On 2/15/2005 9:25 AM Nick brightened our day with:

>"The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm." <"The drummer for Def
>Leppard only has one arm."> wrote in message
>

>>I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.
>>

>Other than salve (which was already taken), I couldn't think of any
>others...
>
>Have a look here:
>
>http://www.rhymezone.com
>
>They couldn't even come up with salve... doh!

How about halve?

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <difool's rant snipped>

You know, with today's medical technology, there must some way that they can
remove your head from inside your ass. Maybe then, you'll be able to get
oxygen to your brain again, and will start to think coherently.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 11:02:13 PM

"LymanAlpha" wrote
> On 2/15/2005 9:25 AM Nick brightened our day with:
>
>>"The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm." <"The drummer for Def
>>Leppard only has one arm."> wrote in message
>>
>>>I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.
>>>

>>Other than salve (which was already taken), I couldn't think of any
>>others...
>>
>>Have a look here:
>>
>>http://www.rhymezone.com
>>
>>They couldn't even come up with salve... doh!
>>
> How about halve?

kewl?

- Peter
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 15, 2005 11:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

This nutjob and his cult have gone too far with this crusade. I was
walking through a boiler room and I saw a pipe on the ceiling with a
sign on it: "Caution Steam"
Then on the wall there was wheel fastened to the pipe with another
sign: "Shutoff Valve"

When these whacko's start breaking into buildings to plant their
paranoid propaganda, it's time to do something about them.

If they want to start some insane suicide cult because of how their
lives were destroyed over copy protection then I say pass them the
Kool Aid and let's be done with it. The rest of us would welcome the
quiet. :)
Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 2:01:22 AM

How about Bossie is about ready to calve... Have a calf...

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:24:05 +0000, "The drummer for Def Leppard only
has one arm." <"The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm."> wrote:

>I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll
drag you down to their level and beat
you with experience..."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 2:08:37 AM

"Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The HL2 box says "Minimum Requirements"...and then under it it says
>> "Internet Connection"....it can't get much simpler than that...
>>
>> You are suppose to read these min specs before you buy any PC game...if
> you
>> don't...it's your own fault....
>
> Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for
> SINGLE
> player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
> multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
> register the game online to play the single player game.

Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it is
very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for Multiplayer" now
does it?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 3:29:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:08:37 -0000, "Craig Coope"
<coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The HL2 box says "Minimum Requirements"...and then under it it says
>>> "Internet Connection"....it can't get much simpler than that...
>>>
>>> You are suppose to read these min specs before you buy any PC game...if
>> you
>>> don't...it's your own fault....
>>
>> Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for
>> SINGLE
>> player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
>> multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
>> register the game online to play the single player game.
>
>Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it is
>very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for Multiplayer" now
>does it?

Since this is the first Steam game EVER how would anyone know it isn't
for Multi player games and not single player?

Are you going to tell me that you knew what Steam was and how it is
used from the "Internet connection required" listed under min spec?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 4:14:05 AM

> "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The HL2 box says "Minimum Requirements"...and then under it it says
>>> "Internet Connection"....it can't get much simpler than that...
>>>
>>> You are suppose to read these min specs before you buy any PC game...if
>> you
>>> don't...it's your own fault....
>>
>> Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for
>> SINGLE
>> player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
>> multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
>> register the game online to play the single player game.
>
> Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it is
> very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for Multiplayer"
> now does it?

Tell me, if you bought a car and found out it was designed to consume
gasoline *while sitting unpowered in your driveway* at the same rate that
normal cars consume it when being driven at 55 mph, would you accept the
manufacturer saying "We put a label on the car saying 'Requires Gasoline.'
It didn't say 'Requires Gasoline for driving.' That's all the disclosure
needed."

What if Steam not only required an internet connection when playing SP but
also at any time the game is installed - if Valve doesn't get a call-home
from your computer at least once a week, Valve quietly and permanently
deletes your Steam HL2 account for non-use? Would you still let them hide
behind the "Requires Internet connection" label (after all, it didn't say
"Requires Internet connection while the game is being used.") Or are you
going to start demanding that commercial product labels actually take into
account reasonable customer expectations based upon actual existing
experience with all of the other products sold in this same category?

HL2's labeling was deceptive and the German commission was absolutely right
to call them on it. You guys really look lame trying to defend this.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 4:19:24 AM

Won't work, if ya were able to do that he wouldn't be able to eat,
would die and then come back to haunt us...

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:41:58 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
wrote:

>"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <difool's rant snipped>
>>

>You know, with today's medical technology, there must some way that they can
>remove your head from inside your ass. Maybe then, you'll be able to get
>oxygen to your brain again, and will start to think coherently.

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll
drag you down to their level and beat
you with experience..."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:19:11 AM

"SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote in message

> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> you
>>>
>>> Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for
>>> SINGLE
>>> player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
>>> multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
>>> register the game online to play the single player game.
>>
>> Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it
>> is very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for
>> Multiplayer" now does it?
>
> Tell me, if you bought a car and found out it was designed to consume
> gasoline *while sitting unpowered in your driveway* at the same rate that
> normal cars consume it when being driven at 55 mph, would you accept the
> manufacturer saying "We put a label on the car saying 'Requires Gasoline.'
> It didn't say 'Requires Gasoline for driving.' That's all the disclosure
> needed."
>
> What if Steam not only required an internet connection when playing SP but
> also at any time the game is installed - if Valve doesn't get a call-home
> from your computer at least once a week, Valve quietly and permanently
> deletes your Steam HL2 account for non-use? Would you still let them hide
> behind the "Requires Internet connection" label (after all, it didn't say
> "Requires Internet connection while the game is being used.") Or are you
> going to start demanding that commercial product labels actually take into
> account reasonable customer expectations based upon actual existing
> experience with all of the other products sold in this same category?

You can come out with all of these unrealistic "what ifs" all you like...the
fact remains....It says "minimum requirements" (minimum being the absolute
lowest).....You can't argue that fact... it's there in black and white...

> HL2's labeling was deceptive and the German commission was absolutely
> right to call them on it. You guys really look lame trying to defend this.

I don't really care...I got my game for free with an ATI voucher and the
game was delivered via Steam....Which I have had not a single problem
with....
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:19:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:19:11 -0000, "Craig Coope"
<coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You can come out with all of these unrealistic "what ifs" all you like...the
>fact remains....It says "minimum requirements" (minimum being the absolute
>lowest).....You can't argue that fact... it's there in black and white...
That's the WHOLE point!
It's not enough to just say that.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:19:12 AM

Craig Coope wrote:

> You can come out with all of these unrealistic "what ifs" all you like...the
> fact remains....It says "minimum requirements" (minimum being the absolute
> lowest).....You can't argue that fact... it's there in black and white...

Well, I'm not sure what part of outer reality you think you're from, but
the very idea that a single-player game would require an almost constant
internet connection (as opposed to an initial connection for
registration, ONCE) IS unrealistic to expect someone to deduce from a
label which simply states "Internet Connection Required". Many software
products also list an internet connection as a minimum requirement, but
they do not require the same repeated login/verification as Steam.

Not that I agree with the OP, which I don't, but arguments like yours
are so devoid of merit as to almost lend credence to these dimwits.
Please water yourself in hopes of growing a clue...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 5:37:56 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:14:05 GMT, "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

>Tell me, if you bought a car and found out it was designed to consume
>gasoline *while sitting unpowered in your driveway* at the same rate that
>normal cars consume it when being driven at 55 mph, would you accept the
>manufacturer saying "We put a label on the car saying 'Requires Gasoline.'
>It didn't say 'Requires Gasoline for driving.' That's all the disclosure
>needed."

If I bought a car that consumed that much fuel when parked, I wouldn't
complain, I'd shoot myself in the head for being stupid enough to make
a huge purchase without doing any research.
On the other hand, if I got that car for the $60 cdn that HL2 sells
for at most stores I'd consider myself lucky.
(seems like a pretty dumb analogy)

>What if Steam not only required an internet connection when playing SP but
>also at any time the game is installed - if Valve doesn't get a call-home
>from your computer at least once a week, Valve quietly and permanently
>deletes your Steam HL2 account for non-use? Would you still let them hide
>behind the "Requires Internet connection" label (after all, it didn't say
>"Requires Internet connection while the game is being used.") Or are you
>going to start demanding that commercial product labels actually take into
>account reasonable customer expectations based upon actual existing
>experience with all of the other products sold in this same category?

WHAT IF.........it drained away your lifeforce when you played but the
box only said you need to be alive to play? That would be pretty bad
eh?
Seriously, you're arguing that it's deceptive advertising based on
What if? lol

>HL2's labeling was deceptive and the German commission was absolutely right
>to call them on it. You guys really look lame trying to defend this.

I hauled out a bunch of old game boxes and had a look at the system
req's. I checked the Boxes for Vietcong, Freelancer, Jedi Academy,
Full Spectrum Warrior, and Farcry.
They all specify "internet connection required....FOR MULTIPLAY"
Only HL2 drops that last part and simply states "Internet Connection
Required"
It's requirements are different and it's labeled different. Is the
distinction really THAT hard to understand?

It's amazing that people who consider themselves smart enough to run a
computer can't understand a simple box label.
It's sad that courts have to cater to those morons.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 7:59:00 AM

In article <cuui3m$baj$03$8@news.t-online.com>,
Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>It could have been clearer. Deceptive? No.

Of course it was deceptive and misleading, and invariably
intentional.

Anyone know what it said on the original HL box ?

Jim
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 9:26:01 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:59:00 GMT, bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote:

>Anyone know what it said on the original HL box ?

Because I'm trying to avoid work, I dug my old Half-Life box out of
the closet:

System requirements:
(CPU/HD space/video card/yadda yadda)

Internet/Multiplayer:
32-bit Internet service provider with
28.8+ modem of Local Area Network

Consider that network connection is only mentioned in direct reference
to multiplayer gaming, I think its pretty clear. Considering that HL2
says that it requires an internet connection, without reference to
multiplayer, I think that's also pretty clear.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 10:52:39 AM

Ralph?

"The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm." <"The drummer for Def
Leppard only has one arm."> schreef in bericht
>I can't think of a word that rhymes with Valve.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 11:57:47 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, "Kroagnon" wrote:

> Wrong. It does not state that an internet connection is required for SINGLE
> player. To the average user, that means an obvious requirement for a
> multiplayer component, not that you have to surrender your privacy and
> register the game online to play the single player game.
>
> World of Warcraft is I believe a multiplayer-only game so its labeling is
> accurate.

exactly!
that's why the biggest economy in the biggest market in the world decided
to do something about it!
we both know we are in the side of truth and that's the biggest assurance
someone can have!

--
"pc games are like women, the inside is the most important but
without good packaging you really won't buy it"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it is
> very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for Multiplayer"
now
> does it?

Again, this is a CHANGE IN PRECIDENT if "internet connection required" means
"internet connection required for single player game". For years and years,
"internet connection required" meant for multiplayer. It does not say on the
box that you have to register the product online in order to play the single
player game.

What is with some of you people? Are you really that stupid that you can't
comprehend this?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 2:35:42 PM

Thusly bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) Spake Unto All:

>>It could have been clearer. Deceptive? No.
>

>Of course it was deceptive and misleading, and invariably
>intentional.

How are six white-and-orange text boxes (on a black cover) saying
"MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: 1.2GHz processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level
graphics card, 4.5 GB hard drive, DVD ROM drive, internet connection"
deceptive or misleading?

The problem with them is that a buyer could miss them *despite* being
white-and-orange because they're surrounded by a bunch of company
logos. They should've been bigger and separate from the irrelevant
artwork.

I'm increasingly under the impression that very few bitching about the
design of the box (or Steam, or the game itself) has actually ever
seen the box.

I wonder if the German Trading Standards Commission has actually seen
the box, or if they're upset for having their warez version banned
too.

(Now, a more interesting question is WTH there is a bigger textbox
saying "not for distribution in the UK", next to the UK support
numbers.)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 2:57:53 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:35:42 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) Spake Unto All:
>
>>>It could have been clearer. Deceptive? No.
>>

>>Of course it was deceptive and misleading, and invariably
>>intentional.
>
>How are six white-and-orange text boxes (on a black cover) saying
>"MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: 1.2GHz processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level
>graphics card, 4.5 GB hard drive, DVD ROM drive, internet connection"
>deceptive or misleading?

Gabe is that you ?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 3:48:14 PM

sayNO2steam wrote:

> exactly!
> that's why the biggest economy in the biggest market in the world
> decided to do something about it!
> we both know we are in the side of truth and that's the biggest
> assurance someone can have!

Since when did Germany become the biggest economy and market in the world?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 7:25:49 PM

> "Craig Coope" <coope1999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Read it again "Minimum Requirements"...then "Internet Connection"....it
>> is
>> very clear to me....It doesn't say "Internet Connection for Multiplayer"
> now
>> does it?
>
> Again, this is a CHANGE IN PRECIDENT if "internet connection required"
> means
> "internet connection required for single player game". For years and
> years,
> "internet connection required" meant for multiplayer. It does not say on
> the
> box that you have to register the product online in order to play the
> single
> player game.
>
> What is with some of you people? Are you really that stupid that you can't
> comprehend this?

That's pushing it a bit - if it says "internet connection required" with no
qualification then one has to assume that it needs an internet connection to
play the game.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 8:03:16 PM

Kevin O'Donovan left a note on my windscreen which said:

> That's pushing it a bit - if it says "internet connection required" with no
> qualification then one has to assume that it needs an internet connection to
> play the game.

Why?

If we are talking about assumptions here then it would seem more likely
having played previous games marked 'Internet Connection Required'
without clarification as to SP or MP it would seem to me most people
would assume it's meant for multiplayer.

I think what many people here are missing the point about is that it
doesn't really matter what something may state on packaging but how
effective the label is at notifying or educating the consumer.

HL2 does state it needs an internet connection on the box. But how many
people can honestly say they read the little box on every purchase? If
HL2 stated on the system requirements "64MB nVidia VGA required" how
many people can *honestly* say they would of still purchased it for
their ATI based system either by not reading the requirements or
beliving it to be a slightly inaccurate description?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
February 16, 2005 10:01:33 PM

Say_no_to_sayNO2steam wrote:
> This nutjob and his cult have gone too far with this crusade. I was
> walking through a boiler room and I saw a pipe on the ceiling with a
> sign on it: "Caution Steam"
> Then on the wall there was wheel fastened to the pipe with another
> sign: "Shutoff Valve"
>
> When these whacko's start breaking into buildings to plant their
> paranoid propaganda, it's time to do something about them.
>
> If they want to start some insane suicide cult because of how their
> lives were destroyed over copy protection then I say pass them the
> Kool Aid and let's be done with it. The rest of us would welcome the
> quiet. :)
> Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
> Jeff H........

Lol, nice one Jeff

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell
February 16, 2005 10:12:17 PM

One Punch Mickey wrote:
> (wipes flecks of foam from glasses)
> In today's installment of 'Gibbering Paranoia' ....

...perpetuated by 'oh yes it is', 'oh no it isn't' tit-for-tat. All
reasonable folk (including me and I'm pro Steam) have already said the
box could have been clearer about the requirements...

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell
February 16, 2005 10:30:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"drocket" wrote

> Because I'm trying to avoid work, I dug my old Half-Life box out of
> the closet:

> System requirements:
> (CPU/HD space/video card/yadda yadda)

> Internet/Multiplayer:
> 32-bit Internet service provider with
> 28.8+ modem of Local Area Network

What on earth are you talking about?
February 16, 2005 10:31:26 PM

<emilo@comcast.com> wrote

> Mean_Chlorine wrote:

>>How are six white-and-orange text boxes (on a black cover) saying
>>"MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: 1.2GHz processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level
>>graphics card, 4.5 GB hard drive, DVD ROM drive, internet connection"
>>deceptive or misleading?

> Gabe is that you ?

DiFool is that you?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 10:46:56 PM

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "drocket" wrote
>
>>>Anyone know what it said on the original HL box ?
>>
>> Because I'm trying to avoid work, I dug my old Half-Life box out of
>> the closet:
>
>> System requirements:
>> (CPU/HD space/video card/yadda yadda)
>
>> Internet/Multiplayer:
>> 32-bit Internet service provider with
>> 28.8+ modem of Local Area Network
>
> What on earth are you talking about?

Perhaps if you didn't misquote it would make sense, question being replied
to added back in for clarity. He has posted the min requirements from the
back of the Original Half life jewel case.

yadda yadda would be:
3D Acceleration support
32 Meg RAM
Pentium 233 (266 recomended) or higher
400MB Hard Disk Space

Or are you taking issue with what was written under Internet/Multiplayer?

He made a simple error when typing, it should read:
28.8+ modem or Local Area Network

how hard was that to decipher?
February 16, 2005 10:57:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Les Steel" wrote

> "Vince" wrote

>> "drocket" wrote

>>> Because I'm trying to avoid work, I dug my old Half-Life box out of
>>> the closet:

>>> System requirements:
>>> (CPU/HD space/video card/yadda yadda)

>>> Internet/Multiplayer:
>>> 32-bit Internet service provider with
>>> 28.8+ modem of Local Area Network

>> What on earth are you talking about?

> Perhaps if you didn't misquote it would make sense,

I quoted the whole post. It starts "... I dug my old Half-Life box out of
the closet:".

That's bit's fairly easy to follow don't you think?

> question being replied to added back in for clarity. He has posted the min
> requirements from the back of the Original Half life jewel case.

> yadda yadda would be:
> 3D Acceleration support
> 32 Meg RAM
> Pentium 233 (266 recomended) or higher
> 400MB Hard Disk Space

> Or are you taking issue with what was written under Internet/Multiplayer?

> He made a simple error when typing, it should read:
> 28.8+ modem or Local Area Network

> how hard was that to decipher?

And "32-bit Internet service provider" means?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 16, 2005 11:20:26 PM

> "Les Steel" wrote
>
>> "Vince" wrote
>
>>> "drocket" wrote

>>> What on earth are you talking about?
>
>> Perhaps if you didn't misquote it would make sense,
>
> I quoted the whole post. It starts "... I dug my old Half-Life box out of
> the closet:".
>
> That's bit's fairly easy to follow don't you think?
>
>> question being replied to added back in for clarity. He has posted the
>> min requirements from the back of the Original Half life jewel case.
>
>> yadda yadda would be:
>> 3D Acceleration support
>> 32 Meg RAM
>> Pentium 233 (266 recomended) or higher
>> 400MB Hard Disk Space
>
>> Or are you taking issue with what was written under Internet/Multiplayer?
>
>> He made a simple error when typing, it should read:
>> 28.8+ modem or Local Area Network
>
>> how hard was that to decipher?
>
> And "32-bit Internet service provider" means?

I really can't be bothered anymore
February 17, 2005 12:16:35 AM

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> sayNO2steam wrote:
>

>>exactly!
>>that's why the biggest economy in the biggest market in the world
>>decided to do something about it!
>>we both know we are in the side of truth and that's the biggest
>>assurance someone can have!
>

> Since when did Germany become the biggest economy and market in the world?

Guess that depends on which particular reality he's living in tonight...

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 12:27:04 AM

"Killah Gorillah" <th@t.bitch> wrote in message

Many software
> products also list an internet connection as a minimum requirement, but
> they do not require the same repeated login/verification as Steam.

See the post by say_no_to_sayNO2steam....

Like he said....boxes will say Internet Connection required for
multiplayer....it says it on all my boxes too... HL2 doesn't...so
technically the box, and what it states is correct....
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 12:37:52 AM

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Kevin O'Donovan left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
>> That's pushing it a bit - if it says "internet connection required" with
>> no
>> qualification then one has to assume that it needs an internet connection
>> play the game.
>
> Why?
>
> If we are talking about assumptions here then it would seem more likely
> having played previous games marked 'Internet Connection Required'
> without clarification as to SP or MP it would seem to me most people
> would assume it's meant for multiplayer.

But this is my point...every time I have seen Internet Connection required
it has said for multiplayer...HL2 doesn't... So logically one would assume
an Internet connection is required for all of it...which it is!....

OK...I'll go one step your way and say that it really should have said a
boradband connection is really needed because of the updates via steam
etc....

> I think what many people here are missing the point about is that it
> doesn't really matter what something may state on packaging but how
> effective the label is at notifying or educating the consumer.
>
> HL2 does state it needs an internet connection on the box. But how many
> people can honestly say they read the little box on every purchase? If
> HL2 stated on the system requirements "64MB nVidia VGA required" how
> many people can *honestly* say they would of still purchased it for
> their ATI based system either by not reading the requirements or
> beliving it to be a slightly inaccurate description?

I always read the little box....and I'd have known where my graphics card
was in comparison to the nVidia model stated on the back....
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 12:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:57:48 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I quoted the whole post. It starts "... I dug my old Half-Life box out of
>the closet:".

Well, something is wrong with your newsgroup reader or something,
then.

>And "32-bit Internet service provider" means?

It essentially means 'Not AOL', because AOL used to be 16-bit based
well after the rest of the universe upgraded. AOL finally did get
around to upgrading their connections, so that doesn't apply anymore.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 1:12:12 AM

Craig Coope wrote:
> "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Kevin O'Donovan left a note on my windscreen which said:
>>
>>> That's pushing it a bit - if it says "internet connection required"
>>> with no
>>> qualification then one has to assume that it needs an internet
>>> connection to
>>> play the game.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> If we are talking about assumptions here then it would seem more
>> likely having played previous games marked 'Internet Connection
>> Required' without clarification as to SP or MP it would seem to me
>> most people would assume it's meant for multiplayer.
>
> But this is my point...every time I have seen Internet Connection
> required it has said for multiplayer...HL2 doesn't... So logically
> one would assume an Internet connection is required for all of
> it...which it is!....
>
> OK...I'll go one step your way and say that it really should have
> said a boradband connection is really needed because of the updates
> via steam etc....

it doesnt I use dial up it take a while but its useable

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2005 1:20:07 AM

Thusly emilo@comcast.com Spake Unto All:

>>How are six white-and-orange text boxes (on a black cover) saying
>>"MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: 1.2GHz processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level
>>graphics card, 4.5 GB hard drive, DVD ROM drive, internet connection"
>>deceptive or misleading?
>
>Gabe is that you ?

People often mistake me for him, but no, I'm the other guy.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!