sapphire 9600xt install problem

I just bought a bulk radeon 9600xt agp8 card (no driver cd) and I’m
having trouble installing it.

I removed my old geforce mx400 agp, put the 9600 card in, removed the
nvidia drivers and installed the latest catalyst drivers for 98se.

Everything looks fine in windows in all resolutions and it lists the
card correctly in the device manager list. I saw that it listed the
card twice, once with ’- secondary’ after the name Is that normal?.
When I try to run a game (I tried several) I get a black screen, in
some cases with a few diagonal lines. I noticed that when I try to
run empire earth 2 it still runs the nvidia splash screen when the
game starts, or at least the sound, even after i un and re installed
the game. So I figured there were remaining nvidia drivers or
references to them in the system. I tried both detonator destroyer and
nasty file remover but neither found anything.

I tried different catalyst drivers reinstalled directx9 and also
flashed the bios for the card, with no change.

Is there a way I’m missing to make the system aware that theres a
different video card installed now? Should I reinstall windows,
install windows xp instead, or take the card out and stomp on it or
what?

Thanks
Steen

system:
m955g motherboard
celeron d 2.6 processor
512mb ddr400 ram

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-sapphire-9600xt-install-problem-ftopict58275.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294519

Stone123 wrote:
> I just bought a bulk radeon 9600xt agp8 card (no driver cd) and I’m
> having trouble installing it.
>
> I removed my old geforce mx400 agp, put the 9600 card in, removed the
> nvidia drivers and installed the latest catalyst drivers for 98se.
>
> Everything looks fine in windows in all resolutions and it lists the
> card correctly in the device manager list. I saw that it listed the
> card twice, once with ’- secondary’ after the name Is that normal?.
> When I try to run a game (I tried several) I get a black screen, in
> some cases with a few diagonal lines. I noticed that when I try to
> run empire earth 2 it still runs the nvidia splash screen when the
> game starts, or at least the sound, even after i un and re installed
> the game. So I figured there were remaining nvidia drivers or
> references to them in the system. I tried both detonator destroyer and
> nasty file remover but neither found anything.
>
> I tried different catalyst drivers reinstalled directx9 and also
> flashed the bios for the card, with no change.
>
> Is there a way I’m missing to make the system aware that theres a
> different video card installed now? Should I reinstall windows,
> install windows xp instead, or take the card out and stomp on it or
> what?
>
> Thanks
> Steen
>
> system:
> m955g motherboard
> celeron d 2.6 processor
> 512mb ddr400 ram

OK, you should have 1) removed the nvidia drivers then 2) removed the
nvidia card then 3) installed the ATI card and then 4) installed the ati
drivers. But you swapped numbers 2) and 3) which could cause problems.

None-the-less it appears that you have tried to sort the driver thing
out, what I recommend is using driver-cleaner or and detonator destroy
to be absolutely 100% sure that you have removed BOTH nvidia AND ATI
drivers. When there are neither of each, then install the latest
catalyst drivers (or you could try the 5.1 catalysts which I found
worked very well on my old 9600XT with Windows XP SP2)

The 9600XT does not draw much power, but if you could still post what
Power supply is in your machine (total watts and also the amps for the
12v, 5v and 3.3v rails) that would also help

TRENDING THREADS