The shield safe av versus grisoft av

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2005 11:35:29 PM

David H. Lipman Wrote:
> [...]
>
> It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
> Interpreter {
> http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five
> Kixtart scripts, one Link
> (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
> WGET.EXE. It will
> simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus
> Command Line Scanners to
> remove
> viruses and various other malware.
>
> C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in
> C:\AV-CLS}
> This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed
> in Normal Mode. This
> way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web
> site.
> The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the
> PC.
>
> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed
> files or you can
> download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
> downloaded the files
> needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into
> Safe Mode [F8 key
> during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you
> want to run in Safe
> Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal
> Mode.
>
> When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
> comprehensive PDF help
> file.
>
> To use this utility, perform the following...
> Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS
> }
> Choose; Unzip
> Choose; Close
>
> Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
>
> NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE
> and/or FTP.EXE to go
> through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor
> related files.
>
> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>
> hank-Thanks for your advice, I have downloaded AVG free edition,
> andamazingly it found 9 trojan
> | horses, yet I have subcribed to Norton for2 yrs and it never picked
> these up. Avg has put
> | them in a vault, do notfully understand this, do they just stay
> there? Have consulted
> | theirhelp notes but do not fully comprehend them either, but anyhow
> basedonthe fact that
> | it detected these, I will probably subcribe to the paidversion, do
> you know if it user
> | friendly to people that are not thatexperienced with computer
> termonology? Once again
> | thanks for your time, help and advice, so many things with acomputer
> are a minefield, but
> | i'm still learning and practicing!-- owl

yTo Dave
Tou so much for your advice,I downloaded MULTI_AVEXE as you said, I did
need some help to get to the start menu from some-one who understands
computers better than I do, but we got there. The first, Sophos found
7563 errors!!!, 3 viruses and 3 files infected, Trend and mcfee found
only a couple of viruses. I assume that running these programs has
either quarantined or deleted these items??
I also re-ran them in safe mode, but the Mcfee file would not open, so
have now re-booted, without that one being done. I really do appreciate
the time you have taken, it is difficult when you are still learning to
understand these things, I do subcribe to easy pc and have nearly
completed the collection, if only one had enough time to read them all!
I am so grateful there are people out ther who are prepared to help us
novices. Well I assume I am done on this subject, I am still using AVG
free anti virus, do you think that the paid for AVG AV is ok for my use
or do you have a preference for some-one else?
Once again many thanks
Owl

--
owl

More about : shield safe versus grisoft

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:45:12 PM

From: "owl" <owl.1t9jq0@pcbanter.net>

| yTo Dave
| Tou so much for your advice,I downloaded MULTI_AVEXE as you said, I didneed some help to
| get to the start menu from some-one who understandscomputers better than I do, but we got
| there. The first, Sophos found7563 errors!!!, 3 viruses and 3 files infected, Trend and
| mcfee foundonly a couple of viruses. I assume that running these programs haseither
| quarantined or deleted these items?? I also re-ran them in safe mode, but the Mcfee file
| would not open, sohave now re-booted, without that one being done. I really do
| appreciatethe time you have taken, it is difficult when you are still learning
| tounderstand these things, I do subcribe to easy pc and have nearlycompleted the
| collection, if only one had enough time to read them all!I am so grateful there are people
| out ther who are prepared to help usnovices. Well I assume I am done on this subject, I am
| still using AVGfree anti virus, do you think that the paid for AVG AV is ok for my useor
| do you have a preference for some-one else? Once again many thanks
| Owl-- owl

Continue to use the free version. I am sure the added abilities won't add to tor security
level.

You can contue to use the Multi AV tool on a perios bassis as a "On Demand" scanner as it
will keep you updated as long as you run the modules in Normal Mode.

--
!