broadband security

August 5, 2005 10:24:36 PM

The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential area I
live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So I am
considering security implications.

The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC home
wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone Alarm (as
well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to each other in Peer to
Peer connections without a wireless router.

I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware firewall
(but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in the other PCs
connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at risk through the
broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do to protect the data on the
other PCs linked by wireless since some of the folders are obviously shared
on the wireless network.

Thanks for any advice and help.

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

More about : broadband security

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 5, 2005 10:24:37 PM

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
> The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential area I
> live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So I am
> considering security implications.
>
> The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC home
> wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone Alarm (as
> well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to each other in Peer
> to Peer connections without a wireless router.
>
> I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware firewall
> (but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in the other PCs
> connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at risk through the
> broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do to protect the data on
> the other PCs linked by wireless since some of the folders are obviously
> shared on the wireless network.
>
> Thanks for any advice and help.

Most cable modems do not have a built in firewall. Get a wireless router and
hook the modem up to it. Routers with a built in firewall can be had for
less than $100.00.

Kerry
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 5, 2005 10:24:37 PM

Here's what you can do to enhance the security on your PC

Internet firewalls: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewa...

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivi...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jeff" wrote:

| The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential area I
| live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So I am
| considering security implications.
|
| The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC home
| wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone Alarm (as
| well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to each other in Peer to
| Peer connections without a wireless router.
|
| I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware firewall
| (but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in the other PCs
| connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at risk through the
| broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do to protect the data on the
| other PCs linked by wireless since some of the folders are obviously shared
| on the wireless network.
|
| Thanks for any advice and help.
|

| --
|
| Jeff
a b 8 Security
August 5, 2005 11:44:59 PM

From: "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com>

| The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential area I
| live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So I am
| considering security implications.
|
| The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC home
| wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone Alarm (as
| well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to each other in Peer to
| Peer connections without a wireless router.
|
| I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware firewall
| (but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in the other PCs
| connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at risk through the
| broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do to protect the data on the
| other PCs linked by wireless since some of the folders are obviously shared
| on the wireless network.
|
| Thanks for any advice and help.
|
| --
|
| Jeff
| Jeff@falsepart.com

To add to the security of any SOHO Router I suggest going into the Router and block both TCP
and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445. This will help keep hackers and Internet worms out and MS
Networking information from leaking out.

You also have to take all measures to secure your wireless access point. You have to make
sure that no one can drive up in front of your house with a wireless notebook and get a
connection. Such practices are common and is know as "war driving". That person might
steal personal information from you or do something nefarious and you would be responsible
for that person's actions. That is why it would be imperative to secure the Wireless
Internet connectivity. Such measures are using Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) and only
allowing specified MAC addresses access to the wireless network. You must also realize that
even if you have a router with a "true" FireWall and block the ports I indicated, if you
don't secure the wireless network then a miscreant will access your network and will be
behind the FireWall (Aka, being within the enclave).

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman wrote:
> To add to the security of any SOHO Router I suggest going into the
> Router and block both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445. This will
> help keep hackers and Internet worms out and MS Networking
> information from leaking out.
>
> You also have to take all measures to secure your wireless access
> point. You have to make sure that no one can drive up in front of
> your house with a wireless notebook and get a connection. Such
> practices are common and is know as "war driving". That person might
> steal personal information from you or do something nefarious and you
> would be responsible for that person's actions. That is why it would
> be imperative to secure the Wireless Internet connectivity. Such
> measures are using Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) and only
> allowing specified MAC addresses access to the wireless network. You
> must also realize that even if you have a router with a "true"
> FireWall and block the ports I indicated, if you don't secure the
> wireless network then a miscreant will access your network and will
> be behind the FireWall (Aka, being within the enclave).

I already have changed the SSID to a weird one and use WEP (these adapters
are 2.4 and do not have WPA capability). Is that OK?

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to follow it.

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

From: "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com>

| I already have changed the SSID to a weird one and use WEP (these adapters
| are 2.4 and do not have WPA capability). Is that OK?
|
| Thanks for all the advice. I will try to follow it.
|
| --
|
| Jeff
| Jeff@falsepart.com

It's a good start. Read up on the subject and the manual and do what you can.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 3:08:57 AM

In article <uIfvsAhmFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
tems.c*a*m says...
> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
> > The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential area I
> > live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So I am
> > considering security implications.
> >
> > The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC home
> > wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone Alarm (as
> > well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to each other in Peer
> > to Peer connections without a wireless router.
> >
> > I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware firewall
> > (but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in the other PCs
> > connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at risk through the
> > broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do to protect the data on
> > the other PCs linked by wireless since some of the folders are obviously
> > shared on the wireless network.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and help.
> >

> Most cable modems do not have a built in firewall. Get a wireless router and
> hook the modem up to it. Routers with a built in firewall can be had for
> less than $100.00.

I agree with getting a NAT Router as a barrier device between the
DSL/Cable modem and the computer/network, it's a no-brainer and should
be done by all ISP's when the person subscribes.

The only disagreement is in the "firewall" term. Most of the sub-$100
devices are not firewalls, they are just NAT Routers that appear to have
Firewall-Like features and actually only provide their base protection
by means of NAT, not by true firewall methods.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Sorry for top posting, but if I understand what you are saying (I am a total
novice at this) is that rather than connect the wireless network as I now
have it (simple peer to peer) I should modify it by purchasing a wireless
router which, if I understand you correctly, I should then interpose between
the cable modem and all the PCs that connect through it. Did I understand
correctly?

Does this mean I then need to disable the peer to peer wireless setup I now
have (it took me forever to get it working <grin>) and replace it with the
other type of wireless (not peer to peer)? On my present home wireless
network I have changed the standard SSID and use WEP. The adapters do not
have WPA capability.

I already own an unused Dlink DI 514 wireless router. Is that adequate as
the router to interpose between the cable modem and the network? If not what
should I be getting? This is a 2.4 Ghz network and I am not in the markket
to replace all the adapters.

Thank you for the help. (I'll have to look up the difference between NAT and
true firewall).

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

Leythos wrote:
> In article <uIfvsAhmFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
> kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys- tems.c*a*m says...
>> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
>>> The possibility of broadband has finally arrived to the residential
>>> area I live in and I will soon be setup with Cox for broadband. So
>>> I am considering security implications.
>>>
>>> The PC that will be connected to the cable modem is part of a 4 PC
>>> home wireless network. All 4 PCs in the wireless network have Zone
>>> Alarm (as well as virus and spyware defenses) but are linked to
>>> each other in Peer to Peer connections without a wireless router.
>>>
>>> I am assuming that the cable modem will have a built in hardware
>>> firewall (but maybe not). I am wondering how much of the data in
>>> the other PCs connecting to the PC with the cable modem might be at
>>> risk through the broadband. Is that a concern? What should I do
>>> to protect the data on the other PCs linked by wireless since some
>>> of the folders are obviously shared on the wireless network.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice and help.
>>>

>> Most cable modems do not have a built in firewall. Get a wireless
>> router and hook the modem up to it. Routers with a built in firewall
>> can be had for less than $100.00.
>
> I agree with getting a NAT Router as a barrier device between the
> DSL/Cable modem and the computer/network, it's a no-brainer and should
> be done by all ISP's when the person subscribes.
>
> The only disagreement is in the "firewall" term. Most of the sub-$100
> devices are not firewalls, they are just NAT Routers that appear to
> have Firewall-Like features and actually only provide their base
> protection
> by means of NAT, not by true firewall methods.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 5:23:32 AM

In article <uO$XhxhmFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, jeff@naol.com says...
> Sorry for top posting, but if I understand what you are saying (I am a total
> novice at this) is that rather than connect the wireless network as I now
> have it (simple peer to peer) I should modify it by purchasing a wireless
> router which, if I understand you correctly, I should then interpose between
> the cable modem and all the PCs that connect through it. Did I understand
> correctly?
>
> Does this mean I then need to disable the peer to peer wireless setup I now
> have (it took me forever to get it working <grin>) and replace it with the
> other type of wireless (not peer to peer)? On my present home wireless
> network I have changed the standard SSID and use WEP. The adapters do not
> have WPA capability.
>
> I already own an unused Dlink DI 514 wireless router. Is that adequate as
> the router to interpose between the cable modem and the network? If not what
> should I be getting? This is a 2.4 Ghz network and I am not in the markket
> to replace all the adapters.
>
> Thank you for the help. (I'll have to look up the difference between NAT and
> true firewall).

I don't think I saw the post where you mentioned having a Wireless
router and I was replying to another reply about it.

With a DI514 wireless router, if that's what it's called, and I didn't
look it up, you should see the following:

1) Cable/DSL connection from ISP hardware to your DI-514
2) Inside the DI-514 there is something that relates to DHCP and your
internal LAN subnet (like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x....)
3) If you check the IP on your laptop (or wireless client) and it's
something like 192.168.x.y then you are using NAT built into the
wireless device (DI-514).

If you have an IP like 24.95.x.y or 64.y.d.s or something other than
192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z then you may be in Bridge mode and have a full
open public connection, and anyone can get directly to your laptop.

Changing the SSID, disable it's broadcasting, enabling WPA or WEP if you
can't do WPA, etc... all the minimum needed.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 6:48:07 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:16:26 -0400, "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote:
>David H. Lipman wrote:

>> You also have to take all measures to secure your wireless access

Yep. Why bother to hack via the 'net if you can tune into as a member
of your LAN, and bypass all Internet-facting defences entirely?

>I already have changed the SSID to a weird one and use WEP (these adapters
>are 2.4 and do not have WPA capability). Is that OK?

Not very - WEP is breakable. Personally, I'd rather have to plug in
bits of wire than trust WiFi "security", but that's just me.

Also, you prolly have hidden admins shares exposing the whole of all
HDs to writes, so an attacker can easily drop code into (say) a
Startup group and be up and running after you restart Windows.

XP Home is said not to expose these hidden admin shares.
XP Pro is said not to expose them if the account password is blank.
XP Pro will expose them if you have an account password.
XP Tasks won't run if account password is blank.

See where this is leading to? Users are likely to use a trivial
account password in order to get Tasks to run (the only way, in
pre-SP2 XP) and then hide the need to use the password via TweakUI
Autologin etc. and then forget about it -> rape via admin shares.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
August 13, 2005 7:41:11 PM

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:p jqrf191g1o9pq54bg9kirqcs3m03ogn73@4ax.com...

> Also, you prolly have hidden admins shares exposing the whole of all
> HDs to writes, so an attacker can easily drop code into (say) a
> Startup group and be up and running after you restart Windows.
>
> XP Home is said not to expose these hidden admin shares.
> XP Pro is said not to expose them if the account password is blank.
> XP Pro will expose them if you have an account password.
> XP Tasks won't run if account password is blank.
>
> See where this is leading to? Users are likely to use a trivial
> account password in order to get Tasks to run (the only way, in
> pre-SP2 XP) and then hide the need to use the password via TweakUI
> Autologin etc. and then forget about it -> rape via admin shares.

Now that is very worrisome. I'm on XP Home SP-2. How do I find out about my
hidden admins shares (whatever they are) and how do I make them secure?

Thanks.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 8:30:19 PM

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
news:o 9%23GkrEoFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:p jqrf191g1o9pq54bg9kirqcs3m03ogn73@4ax.com...
>>
>> Also, you prolly have hidden admins shares exposing the whole of all
>> HDs to writes, so an attacker can easily drop code into (say) a
>> Startup group and be up and running after you restart Windows.
>>
>> XP Home is said not to expose these hidden admin shares.
>> XP Pro is said not to expose them if the account password is blank.
>> XP Pro will expose them if you have an account password.
>> XP Tasks won't run if account password is blank.
>>
>> See where this is leading to? Users are likely to use a trivial
>> account password in order to get Tasks to run (the only way, in
>> pre-SP2 XP) and then hide the need to use the password via TweakUI
>> Autologin etc. and then forget about it -> rape via admin shares.
>
> Now that is very worrisome. I'm on XP Home SP-2. How do I find out about
> my hidden admins shares (whatever they are) and how do I make them secure?

Use strong passwords on all accounts including Guest and especially
Adminstrator.

Kerry
August 14, 2005 7:34:01 AM

> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9%23GkrEoFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
>> message news:p jqrf191g1o9pq54bg9kirqcs3m03ogn73@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> Also, you prolly have hidden admins shares exposing the whole of all
>>> HDs to writes, so an attacker can easily drop code into (say) a
>>> Startup group and be up and running after you restart Windows.
>>>
>>> XP Home is said not to expose these hidden admin shares.
>>> XP Pro is said not to expose them if the account password is blank.
>>> XP Pro will expose them if you have an account password.
>>> XP Tasks won't run if account password is blank.
>>>
>>> See where this is leading to? Users are likely to use a trivial
>>> account password in order to get Tasks to run (the only way, in
>>> pre-SP2 XP) and then hide the need to use the password via TweakUI
>>> Autologin etc. and then forget about it -> rape via admin shares.
>>
>> Now that is very worrisome. I'm on XP Home SP-2. How do I find out about
>> my hidden admins shares (whatever they are) and how do I make them
>> secure?
>>

> Use strong passwords on all accounts including Guest and especially
> Adminstrator.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> Kerry

Yes I know. But how do I find out about my "hidden admin shares" and what
that is?

Jeff
August 14, 2005 4:49:39 PM

Open a command prompt and type in "net share" without the quotes.

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
news:o jX$WKKoFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9%23GkrEoFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
>> message news:p jqrf191g1o9pq54bg9kirqcs3m03ogn73@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> Also, you prolly have hidden admins shares exposing the whole of all
>>> HDs to writes, so an attacker can easily drop code into (say) a
>>> Startup group and be up and running after you restart Windows.
>>>
>>> XP Home is said not to expose these hidden admin shares.
>>> XP Pro is said not to expose them if the account password is blank.
>>> XP Pro will expose them if you have an account password.
>>> XP Tasks won't run if account password is blank.
>>>
>>> See where this is leading to? Users are likely to use a trivial
>>> account password in order to get Tasks to run (the only way, in
>>> pre-SP2 XP) and then hide the need to use the password via TweakUI
>>> Autologin etc. and then forget about it -> rape via admin shares.
>>
>> Now that is very worrisome. I'm on XP Home SP-2. How do I find out about
>> my hidden admins shares (whatever they are) and how do I make them
>> secure?
>>

> Use strong passwords on all accounts including Guest and especially
> Adminstrator.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> Kerry

Yes I know. But how do I find out about my "hidden admin shares" and what
that is?

Jeff
August 14, 2005 7:00:58 PM

Tinkerer wrote:
> Open a command prompt and type in "net share" without the quotes.

Thanks Tinkerer. I did as you said on my laptop and got:
Share name: IPC$
Resource: (The column is blank)
Remark: Remote IPC

The Command completed successfully.

Not sure what that means, good or bad? <grin>

Jeff

>> "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 9%23GkrEoFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org>
>>> wrote in
>>> message news:p jqrf191g1o9pq54bg9kirqcs3m03ogn73@4ax.com...

>>> Now that is very worrisome. I'm on XP Home SP-2. How do I find out
>>> about
>>> my hidden admins shares (whatever they are) and how do I make them
>>> secure?
>>>

>> Use strong passwords on all accounts including Guest and especially
>> Adminstrator.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>>
>> Kerry
>
> Yes I know. But how do I find out about my "hidden admin shares" and
> what
> that is?
>
> Jeff
August 19, 2005 5:14:08 PM

Sorry I missed this before Jeff. I assume cquirke has answered your
questions...:-)

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer