Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2004 5:29:16 PM

Hi-

I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than a
year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers or
something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If it
is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a Linksys
WRT54GS. Thanks!

-Dan

More about : wep laptop wpa network

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 6:43:48 PM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:29:16 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi-
>
>I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
>security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than a
>year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers or
>something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If it
>is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
>connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a Linksys
>WRT54GS. Thanks!
>
>-Dan

Is the laptop a Centrino laptop? If it is then it will be using the
Intel wireless system which is built in. I am not aware of any
special Intel related software for this device, usually it will just
be driven by the OS (assuming the OS is XP).

There is a Windows Update (can't remember the no) which provides WPA
capability for the XP wireless interface. Using it is not much fun.
If, on the other hand, you are using a PCMCIA card to connect the
laptop to the router then you are better off using the manufacturer's
interface provided it supports WPA-PSK.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot use WPA-PSK on the Dell laptop
then the wireless network must be switched to WEP for everyone.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 6:43:49 PM

Thanks for your response! I'll have to check with my friend and see but at
least it is possible to get the update. Thanks again!

-Dan

"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:29:16 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi-
> >
> >I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
> >security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than
> >year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers
or
> >something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If
it
> >is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
> >connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a
Linksys
> >WRT54GS. Thanks!
> >
> >-Dan
>
> Is the laptop a Centrino laptop? If it is then it will be using the
> Intel wireless system which is built in. I am not aware of any
> special Intel related software for this device, usually it will just
> be driven by the OS (assuming the OS is XP).
>
> There is a Windows Update (can't remember the no) which provides WPA
> capability for the XP wireless interface. Using it is not much fun.
> If, on the other hand, you are using a PCMCIA card to connect the
> laptop to the router then you are better off using the manufacturer's
> interface provided it supports WPA-PSK.
>
> If, for whatever reason, you cannot use WPA-PSK on the Dell laptop
> then the wireless network must be switched to WEP for everyone.
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 6:43:49 PM

Actually, I don't think it is a Centrino machine, it is running Intel P4.
It does have the Dell interface I believe, is there still a way to upgrade
it? Thanks!

-Dan

"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:29:16 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi-
> >
> >I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
> >security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than
> >year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers
or
> >something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If
it
> >is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
> >connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a
Linksys
> >WRT54GS. Thanks!
> >
> >-Dan
>
> Is the laptop a Centrino laptop? If it is then it will be using the
> Intel wireless system which is built in. I am not aware of any
> special Intel related software for this device, usually it will just
> be driven by the OS (assuming the OS is XP).
>
> There is a Windows Update (can't remember the no) which provides WPA
> capability for the XP wireless interface. Using it is not much fun.
> If, on the other hand, you are using a PCMCIA card to connect the
> laptop to the router then you are better off using the manufacturer's
> interface provided it supports WPA-PSK.
>
> If, for whatever reason, you cannot use WPA-PSK on the Dell laptop
> then the wireless network must be switched to WEP for everyone.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2004 2:52:48 PM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:11:20 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Actually, I don't think it is a Centrino machine, it is running Intel P4.
>It does have the Dell interface I believe, is there still a way to upgrade
>it? Thanks!
>
>-Dan

Buy a PCMCIA card for the Dell laptop. What make/model is the router?
Preferably get something from the same manufacturer. In theory all
certified wireless G products should be interoperable, but in practice
as manufacturers test their products with their own products you are
more likely to avoid any bizarre errors this way - and trust me,
wireless is perfectly capable of generating bizarre errors!

I have a Centrino laptop but I've bought a PCMCIA card anyway as the
Intel wireless is only 11b.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 17, 2004 5:47:39 PM

The router is a linksys WRT54GS. My friend is trying to download and
install an update from dell that says adds WPA/CCX support though I have no
idea what CCX is. I am hoping this works as I am sure he won't want to have
to put in another card whenever he wants to use the network.