WEP only laptop on a WPA network?

Hi-

I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than a
year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers or
something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If it
is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a Linksys
WRT54GS. Thanks!

-Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop network

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:29:16 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi-
    >
    >I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
    >security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than a
    >year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers or
    >something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If it
    >is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
    >connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a Linksys
    >WRT54GS. Thanks!
    >
    >-Dan

    Is the laptop a Centrino laptop? If it is then it will be using the
    Intel wireless system which is built in. I am not aware of any
    special Intel related software for this device, usually it will just
    be driven by the OS (assuming the OS is XP).

    There is a Windows Update (can't remember the no) which provides WPA
    capability for the XP wireless interface. Using it is not much fun.
    If, on the other hand, you are using a PCMCIA card to connect the
    laptop to the router then you are better off using the manufacturer's
    interface provided it supports WPA-PSK.

    If, for whatever reason, you cannot use WPA-PSK on the Dell laptop
    then the wireless network must be switched to WEP for everyone.

    Thanks for your response! I'll have to check with my friend and see but at
    least it is possible to get the update. Thanks again!

    -Dan

    "Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:29:16 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi-
    > >
    > >I will be setting up a wireless g network and I wanted to enable WPA
    > >security on it. I have a friend who has a Dell laptop that is less than
    > >year old but it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Can he update his drivers
    or
    > >something to support the new security or is that a hardware problem? If
    it
    > >is hardware, can he still access the WPA network but only use WEP for his
    > >connection or will the whole network have to be WEP? I am using a
    Linksys
    > >WRT54GS. Thanks!
    > >
    > >-Dan
    >
    > Is the laptop a Centrino laptop? If it is then it will be using the
    > Intel wireless system which is built in. I am not aware of any
    > special Intel related software for this device, usually it will just
    > be driven by the OS (assuming the OS is XP).
    >
    > There is a Windows Update (can't remember the no) which provides WPA
    > capability for the XP wireless interface. Using it is not much fun.
    > If, on the other hand, you are using a PCMCIA card to connect the
    > laptop to the router then you are better off using the manufacturer's
    > interface provided it supports WPA-PSK.
    >
    > If, for whatever reason, you cannot use WPA-PSK on the Dell laptop
    > then the wireless network must be switched to WEP for everyone.

    Actually, I don't think it is a Centrino machine, it is running Intel P4.
    It does have the Dell interface I believe, is there still a way to upgrade
    it? Thanks!

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:11:20 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Actually, I don't think it is a Centrino machine, it is running Intel P4.
    >It does have the Dell interface I believe, is there still a way to upgrade
    >it? Thanks!
    >
    >-Dan

    Buy a PCMCIA card for the Dell laptop. What make/model is the router?
    Preferably get something from the same manufacturer. In theory all
    certified wireless G products should be interoperable, but in practice
    as manufacturers test their products with their own products you are
    more likely to avoid any bizarre errors this way - and trust me,
    wireless is perfectly capable of generating bizarre errors!

    I have a Centrino laptop but I've bought a PCMCIA card anyway as the
    Intel wireless is only 11b.

    The router is a linksys WRT54GS. My friend is trying to download and
    install an update from dell that says adds WPA/CCX support though I have no
    idea what CCX is. I am hoping this works as I am sure he won't want to have
    to put in another card whenever he wants to use the network.

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:11:20 -0400, "Dan Orth" <danorth@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, I don't think it is a Centrino machine, it is running Intel P4.
    > >It does have the Dell interface I believe, is there still a way to
    upgrade
    > >it? Thanks!
    > >
    > >-Dan
    >
    > Buy a PCMCIA card for the Dell laptop. What make/model is the router?
    > Preferably get something from the same manufacturer. In theory all
    > certified wireless G products should be interoperable, but in practice
    > as manufacturers test their products with their own products you are
    > more likely to avoid any bizarre errors this way - and trust me,
    > wireless is perfectly capable of generating bizarre errors!
    >
    > I have a Centrino laptop but I've bought a PCMCIA card anyway as the
    > Intel wireless is only 11b.

Laptops Wireless WEP Wireless Networking