9800 cooler

This is my first summer out here in CA with my R9800 Pro and it is
being defeated by the heat. When I run games during the day it will
only last a few minutes before the system shuts itself down. I've seen
VGA coolers out there but I'm not too sure which one to get (trying to
search for reviews is such a pain, I always just end up getting links
to online stores selling stuff). So can anyone recommend a cooler?

Before doing that I'd check to make sure the heatsink grease on your current
cooler isn't dried out to a fine flaky powder. This is what happened with my
9800 Pro. When I replaced the dried out goop with arctic silver iii all my
problems disappered and I even overclocked my 9800 Pro.

--
there is no .sig

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>Before doing that I'd check to make sure the heatsink grease on your current
>cooler isn't dried out to a fine flaky powder. This is what happened with my
>9800 Pro. When I replaced the dried out goop with arctic silver iii all my
>problems disappered and I even overclocked my 9800 Pro.

I surprised that he has problems with heat without O/C. Just how hot
is his room? My cousin has a special room for his computer complete
with its own air con. That's overdoing it a bit.

I agree with you that the gease is the most likely culprit. If not, I
would suspect the card has a problem.

--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Julian Richards wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Before doing that I'd check to make sure the heatsink grease on your current
>>cooler isn't dried out to a fine flaky powder. This is what happened with my
>>9800 Pro. When I replaced the dried out goop with arctic silver iii all my
>>problems disappered and I even overclocked my 9800 Pro.
>

> I surprised that he has problems with heat without O/C. Just how hot
> is his room? My cousin has a special room for his computer complete
> with its own air con. That's overdoing it a bit.

I had serious overheating with my 9700 Pro until I improved the airflow
around the card. Running Morrowind it would get too hot to touch.
Adding a PCI slot fan under the card eliminated the problem. I think
the main problem is that the heat from the fan and heat sink is blocked
from rising by the video card itself.

> I agree with you that the gease is the most likely culprit. If not, I
> would suspect the card has a problem.
>
> --
>
> Julian Richards
> computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk
>
> www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
> Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Doug,
How hard was it to remove your fan from the 9800 pro?

Randy

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Before doing that I'd check to make sure the heatsink grease on your
> current cooler isn't dried out to a fine flaky powder. This is what
> happened with my 9800 Pro. When I replaced the dried out goop with arctic
> silver iii all my problems disappered and I even overclocked my 9800 Pro.
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> "Kevin C." <megamankev@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is my first summer out here in CA with my R9800 Pro and it is
>> being defeated by the heat. When I run games during the day it will
>> only last a few minutes before the system shuts itself down. I've seen
>> VGA coolers out there but I'm not too sure which one to get (trying to
>> search for reviews is such a pain, I always just end up getting links
>> to online stores selling stuff). So can anyone recommend a cooler?

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On 6 Jul 2005 18:31:56 -0700, "Kevin C." <megamankev@gmail.com> wrote:

>|This is my first summer out here in CA with my R9800 Pro and it is
>|being defeated by the heat. When I run games during the day it will
>|only last a few minutes before the system shuts itself down. I've seen
>|VGA coolers out there but I'm not too sure which one to get (trying to
>|search for reviews is such a pain, I always just end up getting links
>|to online stores selling stuff). So can anyone recommend a cooler?

The Arctic Cooler line of video card fans is the most well known solution. I use
one for my X800 PRO and its more quiet and ALOT more efficent then the stock
cooler. Make sure you get the correct model for your video card however, as
there are many different versions. Check newegg.com for a good source.

Pluvious

Ian

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> Julian Richards wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Before doing that I'd check to make sure the heatsink grease on your
>>> current cooler isn't dried out to a fine flaky powder. This is what
>>> happened with my 9800 Pro. When I replaced the dried out goop with
>>> arctic silver iii all my problems disappered and I even overclocked
>>> my 9800 Pro.
>>

>> I surprised that he has problems with heat without O/C. Just how hot
>> is his room? My cousin has a special room for his computer complete
>> with its own air con. That's overdoing it a bit.
>

> I had serious overheating with my 9700 Pro until I improved the airflow
> around the card. Running Morrowind it would get too hot to touch.
> Adding a PCI slot fan under the card eliminated the problem. I think
> the main problem is that the heat from the fan and heat sink is blocked
> from rising by the video card itself.

Had some trouble with a 9600 pro. I had a full set of PCI cards, so
there was no space there. In the end I managed to get rid of one card
and leave an empty slot next to VGA, and it has been fine ever since.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 07/07/2005 13:42:36

"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>> Julian Richards wrote:

>>> I surprised that he has problems with heat without O/C. Just how hot
>>> is his room? My cousin has a special room for his computer complete
>>> with its own air con. That's overdoing it a bit.
>>

>> I had serious overheating with my 9700 Pro until I improved the airflow
>> around the card. Running Morrowind it would get too hot to touch. Adding
>> a PCI slot fan under the card eliminated the problem. I think the main
>> problem is that the heat from the fan and heat sink is blocked from
>> rising by the video card itself.
>>

> Had some trouble with a 9600 pro. I had a full set of PCI cards, so there
> was no space there. In the end I managed to get rid of one card and leave
> an empty slot next to VGA, and it has been fine ever since.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
> Tested on: 07/07/2005 13:42:36

You could also install an internal fan that fits in a PCI slot and is
adjustable in length. It takes it's air outside the case and blows exactly
in front of the GPU. Excellent results for less than 10 $.

SERVO

Ultra makes a VERY nice 2-fan PCI card with a fan speed slide-adjuster
on the back. I have one in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot blowing
right on my 9800 and it works very nicely.

--
Servo
"Heh, heh! Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy! Heh!" Glen Quagmire, Quohog, R.I.

On 6 Jul 2005 18:31:56 -0700, "Kevin C." <megamankev@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is my first summer out here in CA with my R9800 Pro and it is
>being defeated by the heat. When I run games during the day it will
>only last a few minutes before the system shuts itself down. I've seen
>VGA coolers out there but I'm not too sure which one to get (trying to
>search for reviews is such a pain, I always just end up getting links
>to online stores selling stuff). So can anyone recommend a cooler?

i replaced my 9700pro stock cooler with an arctic cooler. it uses the
pci backplane immediately next to the agp to expel hot air from the
gfx card out the back of the case.

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:40:40 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>The Arctic Cooler line of video card fans is the most well known solution. I use
>one for my X800 PRO and its more quiet and ALOT more efficent then the stock
>cooler. Make sure you get the correct model for your video card however, as
>there are many different versions. Check newegg.com for a good source.

Then why isn't it the fan fitted in the factory?
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:40:40 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The Arctic Cooler line of video card fans is the most well known solution.
>>I use
>>one for my X800 PRO and its more quiet and ALOT more efficent then the
>>stock
>>cooler. Make sure you get the correct model for your video card however,
>>as
>>there are many different versions. Check newegg.com for a good source.
>
> Then why isn't it the fan fitted in the factory?

Because under normal usage it's not necessary. It's for those that want
more cooling than needed, like overclockers.

DaveL

It wasn't that difficult. I had to re-install it just recently when the
handle on my case broke and my system fell four feet to the ground ;^(
You have to first unscrew the fan which will allow you to then access the
push-pins which hold the heatsink to the card. Once you carefully pull the
stopper in the push-pins out you can then separate the heatsink from the
card. Just make sure you know what I'm talking about before you pull the
heatsink off.

With my 9800 Pro, it was overheating at STOCK speeds, no overclocking at
all.

--
there is no .sig