NAV subscription renewal

I have Norton 2002 anti-virus, and it's subscription renewal time again.
It's $25 to renew or $30 to upgrade to 2005. Should I consider a
different package altogether? Is there a way to protect yourself w/o
having to pay $25 every year? should I upgrade, change, or stay at
2002?

--
ejaggers

For $5 more I would go for the upgrade + extras. Eventualy old subscriptions
drop support.
--
Thanks,
ponderxpo

"ejaggers" wrote:

> It's $25 to renew or $30 to upgrade to 2005. Should I consider a
> different package altogether? Is there a way to protect yourself w/o
> having to pay $25 every year? should I upgrade, change, or stay at
> 2002?
>

> --
> ejaggers

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ejaggers.1tdppn@pcbanter.net,
ejaggers <ejaggers.1tdppn@pcbanter.net> had this to say:

> I have Norton 2002 anti-virus, and it's subscription renewal time
> again. It's $25 to renew or $30 to upgrade to 2005. Should I consider
> a different package altogether? Is there a way to protect yourself w/o
> having to pay $25 every year? should I upgrade, change, or stay at
> 2002?

While aimed at cleaning specifically the products here are free (one is free
for a year.) All do a decent enough job...

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

I used to use NAV on all my computers. I now use Nod32.
Sounds like you don't mind paying, but I like the low system overhead
of Nod32. It's a very capable AV program.
'NOD32 for Microsoft Windows XP' (http://eset.com/products/nt.htm)
MY2¢,
Treeman

--
Treeman

ejaggers wrote:
> I have Norton 2002 anti-virus, and it's subscription renewal time again.
> It's $25 to renew or $30 to upgrade to 2005. Should I consider a
> different package altogether? Is there a way to protect yourself w/o
> having to pay $25 every year? should I upgrade, change, or stay at
> 2002?

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

ejaggers wrote:
> I have Norton 2002 anti-virus, and it's subscription renewal time
> again. It's $25 to renew or $30 to upgrade to 2005. Should I consider
> a different package altogether? Is there a way to protect yourself w/o
> having to pay $25 every year? should I upgrade, change, or stay at
> 2002?

2002?!
*shrug*

Get something else that takes less overhead.
Many are FREE to the home user and which you choose is a matter of
taste, really. Many people have emotional attachments or performance
issues with one or another AntiVirus software.
Try some out, read reviews and decide for yourself which you like more:

( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
perform a full scan periodically (yes, most protect you actively, but a
full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP