Hidden Files and Folders Problem

August 7, 2005 7:39:36 AM

I'm having trouble with the 'Show hidden files and folders' setting in
the folder options. No matter how many times I try to set the computer
to display hidden files and folders, the computer completely ignores it
and resets it to 'Do not show hidden files and folders'. The account I
am using while trying to change the setting is a admin account though
not the default admin account. I have tried to change the setting in the
default admin account and the same thing happens. I'm running XP Pro
with SP2. As far as I can tell this problem started after I uninstalled
a browser hijack program that got installed without my consent though I
am not positive that this problem did not start before the browser
hijacker problem occurred. I'm assuming the registry is corrupted and
short of reinstalling windows I don't know how to fix the problem. Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

David
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:49:49 PM

Hi

After you have the setting in place, go to Tools>Folder Options>View and
enable 'Apply to All Folders'. Then restart Windows Explorer.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Szereck" <szereck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble with the 'Show hidden files and folders' setting in the
> folder options. No matter how many times I try to set the computer to
> display hidden files and folders, the computer completely ignores it and
> resets it to 'Do not show hidden files and folders'. The account I am
> using while trying to change the setting is a admin account though not the
> default admin account. I have tried to change the setting in the default
> admin account and the same thing happens. I'm running XP Pro with SP2. As
> far as I can tell this problem started after I uninstalled a browser
> hijack program that got installed without my consent though I am not
> positive that this problem did not start before the browser hijacker
> problem occurred. I'm assuming the registry is corrupted and short of
> reinstalling windows I don't know how to fix the problem. Any ideas would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> David
August 8, 2005 7:34:40 AM

Do you mean close the exploerer window that I makde the changes in and
open a new one or do you mean kill all instances of explorer.exe and
start a new instance of explorer to regain the desktop?

David

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> After you have the setting in place, go to Tools>Folder Options>View and
> enable 'Apply to All Folders'. Then restart Windows Explorer.

August 13, 2005 1:56:14 AM

Szereck Wrote:

take a look
@http://web.archive.org/web/20041123023608/www.blackvipe...
check out the WINDOWS XP configurations link.Look @
STRANGE SERVICES and SUPER TWEEKS . In there is a detailed description
of how to 'unhide' various files and folders from the RUN command. MAKE
SURE TO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND IF IN
DOUBT............................ DO NOT DO IT...

--
rvrw2c" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20041123023608/www.blackvipe...
check out the WINDOWS XP configurations link.Look @
STRANGE SERVICES and SUPER TWEEKS . In there is a detailed description
of how to 'unhide' various files and folders from the RUN command. MAKE
SURE TO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND IF IN
DOUBT............................ DO NOT DO IT...

--
rvrw2c
August 13, 2005 7:54:11 AM

rvrw2c wrote:
> Szereck Wrote:
Unfortuneatly the site you directed me to did little to solve my
problem, though I'm sure my computer will probably run faster now that I
have browsed the info on that site.

David

> take a look
> @http://web.archive.org/web/20041123023608/www.blackvipe...
> check out the WINDOWS XP configurations link.Look @
> STRANGE SERVICES and SUPER TWEEKS . In there is a detailed description
> of how to 'unhide' various files and folders from the RUN command. MAKE
> SURE TO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND IF IN
> DOUBT............................ DO NOT DO IT...
>
>" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20041123023608/www.blackvipe...
> check out the WINDOWS XP configurations link.Look @
> STRANGE SERVICES and SUPER TWEEKS . In there is a detailed description
> of how to 'unhide' various files and folders from the RUN command. MAKE
> SURE TO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND IF IN

August 13, 2005 7:56:26 AM

I shall assume that you mean the the explorer window that is used to
make the changes in. However I have tried that many times and windows
still ignores the change. Anyone else have any ideas before I do a fresh
reinstall?

David

!