Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Change User Account Name

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 7, 2005 1:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

If I go to Run, type in control userpasswords2, click on my account, click
Properties, and type in a new name under "User name," and not "Full name"
(which are different in my case because I changed the name under Control
Panel>User Accounts>Change my name), will anything bad happen? And what will
happen? Will my account's folder in Documents and Settings change to the new
name? Will all the registry entries that refer to the old name change
automatically or will they be incorrect?

Also, if I click on the Advanced tab in the control userpasswords2 dialog
box, and check the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete option, will that
have an effect if I am using the Welcome screen? Or will it only show up if I
use the classic logon box?

I am using Windows XP Home.

More about : change user account

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> If I go to Run, type in control userpasswords2, click on my account, click
> Properties, and type in a new name under "User name," and not "Full name"
> (which are different in my case because I changed the name under Control
> Panel>User Accounts>Change my name), will anything bad happen?


There shouldn't be any negative consequences.


> And what will
> happen?


You'll have to start using the new username when you log in, unless
your system is already configured to login automatically.

> Will my account's folder in Documents and Settings change to the new
> name?


No. The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been. So,
your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783

How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151


> Will all the registry entries that refer to the old name change
> automatically or will they be incorrect?
>

For the most part, pre-existing registry entries will continue to
display the old name, new registry entries will bear the new name.


> Also, if I click on the Advanced tab in the control userpasswords2 dialog
> box, and check the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete option, will that
> have an effect if I am using the Welcome screen?


No, that will have no affect while the Welcome Screen is in use.




--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:33:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> If I go to Run, type in control userpasswords2, click on my account,
> click Properties, and type in a new name under "User name," and not
> "Full name" (which are different in my case because I changed the
> name under Control Panel>User Accounts>Change my name), will anything
> bad happen? And what will happen? Will my account's folder in
> Documents and Settings change to the new name? Will all the registry
> entries that refer to the old name change automatically or will they
> be incorrect?

Nothing will happen except now you would use that username to log into the
machine instead of the old one. The folders under C:\Documents and
Settings\ would remain the old username.

> Also, if I click on the Advanced tab in the control userpasswords2
> dialog box, and check the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete
> option, will that have an effect if I am using the Welcome screen? Or
> will it only show up if I use the classic logon box?

My bet would be the "Welcome Screen" would cease to function. However,
Windows XP Home edition is not something I deal with daily.

> I am using Windows XP Home.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Related resources
August 7, 2005 7:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Ok, I went ahead and renamed my account, and everything is fine, except now
my <account name>'s Documents folder is missing from My Computer. How can I
get it back?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:32:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> Ok, I went ahead and renamed my account, and everything is fine,
> except now my <account name>'s Documents folder is missing from My
> Computer. How can I get it back?

Have the Microsoft Powertoy "TweakUI"?
If not - grab it - it will do so much more for you as well..

Anyway - My Computer --> make sure "Files stored on this computer" is
checked.. Apply and exit.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
August 7, 2005 9:32:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Pat wrote:
> > Ok, I went ahead and renamed my account, and everything is fine,
> > except now my <account name>'s Documents folder is missing from My
> > Computer. How can I get it back?
>
> Have the Microsoft Powertoy "TweakUI"?
> If not - grab it - it will do so much more for you as well..
>
> Anyway - My Computer --> make sure "Files stored on this computer" is
> checked.. Apply and exit.

Yep, I have it, and it was checked.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:47:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> Ok, I went ahead and renamed my account, and everything is fine,
> except now my <account name>'s Documents folder is missing from My
> Computer. How can I get it back?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Have the Microsoft Powertoy "TweakUI"?
> If not - grab it - it will do so much more for you as well..
>
> Anyway - My Computer --> make sure "Files stored on this computer" is
> checked.. Apply and exit.

Pat wrote:
> Yep, I have it, and it was checked.

"Cycle" it..

Off.. Reboot. On.. Reboot.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
August 7, 2005 9:47:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Nope, still not there.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:19:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> Nope, still not there.

Do you use "Show Common Tasks in Folders" so you have the bar on the left?
If so, when you are at the root - do you see "My Documents" listed there and
if so - what happens when you select it?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:23:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Pat wrote:
> Nope, still not there.

Type this command in Start/Run:

regsvr32 /n /i:U Shell32.dll

If that does not help, open Registry Editor and goto:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths]

What does the OLD USERNAME value read, in the right pane?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
August 7, 2005 10:23:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

> If that does not help, open Registry Editor and goto:
>
> [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths]
>
> What does the OLD USERNAME value read, in the right pane?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Ahh... I renamed the entry that represented my account to the new name and
the folder came back. Thanks a lot!
!