problems installing radeon 9800 pro ( resource conflict, c..

Hi,
I just despair of installing my new video card.

It's a MSI RX9800 PRO TDI128 with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro chipset.
Everytime I try to install it, I got a code 12 resource conflict and
subsequently the vgsave driver is used.
This happens with the MSI, the latest ATI and the windows buildin drivers.

My configuration is:
Windows XP SP2
elitegroup K7SA Pro
ATLON XP 2200+ @1500MHz, FSB=100

My old gforce 440mx works without any problems

I searched the web on this and found the prolem quite common but most of
the time no solution is presented. Here a small and not complete list of
fixes that worked / don't worked for other people:

2x Buy a new card
1x Buy a new mainboard
1x put the card correctly into the socket
1x set agp aperture to 4M
1x switch off ACPI

0x reinstall Windows
0x reinstall drivers, in special order, etc.
0x removing all other cards
0x disable on board features
0x installing new mainboard driver
0x BIOS update

I tried most of it (except the first two), but nothing showed any effect.

The one thing I spoted is that the resource in question is the memory
range 0x4000000-0x7ffffff ( no, I don't miss a digit). I am no device
driver expert, but it seems to me a strange range for memory mapped IO,
all the other devices like pci are much nearer to the upper end of the
adress space.

Can anybody explain to me the strange memory range? Is my card simply
broken ( Unfortunatly I got no other system to test the card with.)? Is
it a compatibility problem with the main board?

Thanks in advance for anybody trying to help me,

Niklas Schaffrath

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:58:02 +0200, Niklas Schaffrath
<niklas4@killerorangen.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>I just despair of installing my new video card.
>
>It's a MSI RX9800 PRO TDI128 with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro chipset.
>Everytime I try to install it, I got a code 12 resource conflict and
>subsequently the vgsave driver is used.
>This happens with the MSI, the latest ATI and the windows buildin drivers.
>
>My configuration is:
>Windows XP SP2
>elitegroup K7SA Pro
>ATLON XP 2200+ @1500MHz, FSB=100
>
>My old gforce 440mx works without any problems
>
>I searched the web on this and found the prolem quite common but most of
>the time no solution is presented. Here a small and not complete list of
>fixes that worked / don't worked for other people:
>
>2x Buy a new card
>1x Buy a new mainboard
>1x put the card correctly into the socket
>1x set agp aperture to 4M
>1x switch off ACPI
>
>0x reinstall Windows
>0x reinstall drivers, in special order, etc.
>0x removing all other cards
>0x disable on board features
>0x installing new mainboard driver
>0x BIOS update

Omega drivers?
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

> Omega drivers?

no, still the same problem.

Ian

Niklas Schaffrath wrote:
> Hi,
> I just despair of installing my new video card.
>
> It's a MSI RX9800 PRO TDI128 with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro chipset.
> Everytime I try to install it, I got a code 12 resource conflict and
> subsequently the vgsave driver is used.
> This happens with the MSI, the latest ATI and the windows buildin drivers.
>
> My configuration is:
> Windows XP SP2
> elitegroup K7SA Pro
> ATLON XP 2200+ @1500MHz, FSB=100
>
> My old gforce 440mx works without any problems
>
> I searched the web on this and found the prolem quite common but most of
> the time no solution is presented. Here a small and not complete list of
> fixes that worked / don't worked for other people:
>
> 2x Buy a new card
> 1x Buy a new mainboard
> 1x put the card correctly into the socket
> 1x set agp aperture to 4M
> 1x switch off ACPI
>
> 0x reinstall Windows
> 0x reinstall drivers, in special order, etc.
> 0x removing all other cards
> 0x disable on board features
> 0x installing new mainboard driver
> 0x BIOS update
>
> I tried most of it (except the first two), but nothing showed any effect.
>
> The one thing I spoted is that the resource in question is the memory
> range 0x4000000-0x7ffffff ( no, I don't miss a digit). I am no device
> driver expert, but it seems to me a strange range for memory mapped IO,
> all the other devices like pci are much nearer to the upper end of the
> adress space.
>
> Can anybody explain to me the strange memory range? Is my card simply
> broken ( Unfortunatly I got no other system to test the card with.)? Is
> it a compatibility problem with the main board?
>
> Thanks in advance for anybody trying to help me,
>
> Niklas Schaffrath

Is your mother board one of those that has to be told to assign an IRQ
to the VGA card? That's one guess. Another approach would be to
manually alter the resources used by the card and pick and IRQ of your
choosing. You would be far less likely to have trouble with this using
ACPI. I'm guessing a bit, but you seem to have little else to go on...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-2, 08/07/2005
Tested on: 10/07/2005 04:36:20

I feel your pain. I went through hell and high water trying to get either a
9800 Pro or a 9500 Pro working on my ECS K7s5a. I never could do it. I doubt
you'll be able to do it with your K7s5a pro. I beleive your K7s5a Pro is
still based on the SiS 735 chipset, which I think is the fatal flaw in this
combo.

--
there is no .sig
"Niklas Schaffrath" <niklas4@killerorangen.de> wrote in message
> [...]

>0x reinstall Windows
>0x reinstall drivers, in special order, etc.
>0x removing all other cards
>0x disable on board features
>0x installing new mainboard driver
>0x BIOS update
>
>I tried most of it (except the first two), but nothing showed any effect.
>
>The one thing I spoted is that the resource in question is the memory
>range 0x4000000-0x7ffffff ( no, I don't miss a digit). I am no device
>driver expert, but it seems to me a strange range for memory mapped IO,
>all the other devices like pci are much nearer to the upper end of the
>adress space.
>
>Can anybody explain to me the strange memory range? Is my card simply
>broken ( Unfortunatly I got no other system to test the card with.)? Is
>it a compatibility problem with the main board?
>
>Thanks in advance for anybody trying to help me,

Niklas, you say "My old gforce 440mx works without any problems" and
this may have something to do with your problem. NVidia and ATI
drivers are well known for their incompatibilty and also for their
less than adequate uninstall procedures.

If you've previously had an NVidia card in your system, you need to
first uninstall the drivers, then to 'clean' the system using either
something like DriverCleaner - I don't have a link as I use a cleaner,
jv16, that's not available (as a free version) any more or I'd
recommend that - or one of the NVidia cleaners that you should be able
to find through the various NVidia forums. Perhaps someone else can
advise on where to find DriverCleaner or the NVidia cleaners.

I notice you say you reinstalled Windows - if this was a format and
new install, ignore my remarks. If it was a reinstall over your
NVidia drivers.

Also, if you're trying different ATI drivers, do the same: uninstall
and clean before installing something else. Fortunately, in this
case, ATI themselves produce a very effective driver cleaner: if you
install any of their more recent all-in-one drivers, it'll be there in
Add/Remove Programmes as 'ATI - Software Uninstall Utility.' Don't
use it straight away: uninstall your ATI software and drivers, reboot
and then run it. You'll then need to reboot again.

If you're not using one of the all-in-one drivers, you can get
'cat-uninstaller.exe' from the ATI driver site - just go to the first
link, Drivers and Software, then 'Utilities' -> 'Various' ->
'Catalyst - ATI Maintenance Utilities.' Use the same way as above.

HTH Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

patrickp schrieb:
> [...]
> new install, ignore my remarks. If it was a reinstall over your
> NVidia drivers.
>
> Also, if you're trying different ATI drivers, do the same: uninstall
> and clean before installing something else. Fortunately, in this
> case, ATI themselves produce a very effective driver cleaner: if you
> install any of their more recent all-in-one drivers, it'll be there in
> Add/Remove Programmes as 'ATI - Software Uninstall Utility.' Don't
> use it straight away: uninstall your ATI software and drivers, reboot
> and then run it. You'll then need to reboot again.
>
> If you're not using one of the all-in-one drivers, you can get
> 'cat-uninstaller.exe' from the ATI driver site - just go to the first
> link, Drivers and Software, then 'Utilities' -> 'Various' ->
> 'Catalyst - ATI Maintenance Utilities.' Use the same way as above.

I'm pretty sure it is no software problem. I even tried a windows
freshly installed on an empty parition.

As Dough said, there might be some fundamental incompatibilities with
older SIS chipsets. Some articles in the elitegroup faq pointing in the
same direction. So I give up working on this hw constallation and think
about whether I should sell the radeon card or buy new main board+cpu+ram.

Any suggestions for a moderate priced, stable and not to slow board /
cpu combination? ( any chipsets to avoid? )

thanks for your answers,

Niklas

Niklas, I was at the exact same spot you are three years ago. If you don't
want to upgrade your CPU you could go with an NF7s v2.0 like I did. You'll
probably be able to use your existing heatsink, RAM and CPU if you go with
an NF7s v2.0. I paid over $100.00 for my NF7s v2.0 you can probably get it a
lot cheaper than that off of ebay.

--
> [...]
>> and then run it. You'll then need to reboot again.
>>
>> If you're not using one of the all-in-one drivers, you can get
>> 'cat-uninstaller.exe' from the ATI driver site - just go to the first
>> link, Drivers and Software, then 'Utilities' -> 'Various' ->
>> 'Catalyst - ATI Maintenance Utilities.' Use the same way as above.
>>
>> HTH Patrick
>

> I'm pretty sure it is no software problem. I even tried a windows
> freshly installed on an empty parition.
>
> As Dough said, there might be some fundamental incompatibilities with
> older SIS chipsets. Some articles in the elitegroup faq pointing in the
> same direction. So I give up working on this hw constallation and think
> about whether I should sell the radeon card or buy new main board+cpu+ram.
>
> Any suggestions for a moderate priced, stable and not to slow board /
> cpu combination? ( any chipsets to avoid? )

TRENDING THREADS