How do I access files on my PC from another PC?

a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 9:36:02 AM

Hello. I have a Desktop and laptop running Windows XP. I have password
protected my login on the Desktop. Both computers are networked and I am able
to access files on the Shared Folder on the desktop from my laptop. The
problem I am facing is that I am unable to access other files on my desktop
and when I go to the location, the message I receive is that I do not have
sufficient privileges. How can I access my personal files on the desktop from
my laptop? In other words, is there a way to provide my login password and
access my files on the desktop from a laptop? At the moment, only if I remove
the password from the desktop am I able to access my files on the desktop -
but I need to have the password on the desltop as others use the desltop as
well but I need to access my personal files on the desktop using my laptop.
Appreciate your comments and solution to this problem.

More about : access files

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 1:11:50 PM

This works best when you have matching accounts (username and password) on both machines. Then its pretty transparent.

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.