DVI cable and ATI 9600 boot problem

Hi Group,
I recently got an Acer AL1914SMD-8 LCD monitor. My desktop computer is
a compaq s6200cl (windows xp home, AMD 2800, 768Megs of ram, and with a
256MB ATI 9600 video card) The video card has an analog output and a
DVI output. When I use the DVI cable to the monitor and turn the power
on, the computer fans turn on, the power light turns on and the hard
drive light is on. The computer does not boot, no bios screen is
displayed and the monitor never detects the computer is turned on.
(the light stays amber color on the LCD monitor) When I use the analog
output on the video card, everything boots fine 100% of the time. Any
ideas why the DVI connection from the video card to the monitor will
not allow the computer to boot?
thanks,
Matt Meerian
11 answers Last reply
More about cable 9600 boot problem

    Hi,
    As you suggested, I tried having the monitor off when the computer is
    powered on. Out of 6 power cycles, the computer booted on 3 of them.
    On the 3 no-boot's, the computer did the same thing as before. (The
    power light, fans and hard drive light all come on, but nothing
    displayed on the screen and no booting)
    So, it looks like the using the DVI cable with the ATI 9600 is not an
    option.
    I'll throw this out there for everyone: Why doesn't ATI get this fixed
    on the 9600???
    David, thanks sooo much for your input.
    Matt Meerian

    On 11 Jul 2005 07:44:37 -0700, matt6ft9@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi Group,
    >I recently got an Acer AL1914SMD-8 LCD monitor. My desktop computer is
    >a compaq s6200cl (windows xp home, AMD 2800, 768Megs of ram, and with a
    >256MB ATI 9600 video card) The video card has an analog output and a
    >DVI output. When I use the DVI cable to the monitor and turn the power
    >on, the computer fans turn on, the power light turns on and the hard
    >drive light is on. The computer does not boot, no bios screen is
    >displayed and the monitor never detects the computer is turned on.
    >(the light stays amber color on the LCD monitor) When I use the analog
    >output on the video card, everything boots fine 100% of the time. Any
    >ideas why the DVI connection from the video card to the monitor will
    >not allow the computer to boot?
    >thanks,
    >Matt Meerian

    I had the same problem with that card and a ASUS mother board AMD
    3200+ system. I found that my computer would not boot at all. After
    some testing I found that if I started the computer before turning
    the power on to the Monitor I could use the DVI output ok. I posted a
    message and was told that it was probably caused my monitor leakage
    from my Princeton 19" LCD Monitor. So I have just stayed with the
    analog hook up as could not really see any difference between the 2.
    As you have the same problem difference computer and Monitor I suspect
    it could just be the ATI 9600 video card. Try starting your computer
    first then power the LCD Monitor up after let me know how this goes.
    This should allow you to use the DVI outout .

    On 11 Jul 2005 12:34:02 -0700, matt6ft9@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >As you suggested, I tried having the monitor off when the computer is
    >powered on. Out of 6 power cycles, the computer booted on 3 of them.
    >On the 3 no-boot's, the computer did the same thing as before. (The
    >power light, fans and hard drive light all come on, but nothing
    >displayed on the screen and no booting)
    >So, it looks like the using the DVI cable with the ATI 9600 is not an
    >option.
    >I'll throw this out there for everyone: Why doesn't ATI get this fixed
    >on the 9600???
    >David, thanks sooo much for your input.
    >Matt Meerian
    As you have a different Monitor etc I supect like you it is a ATI
    9600 card problem when using DVI. My Computer does nothing at all no
    fans just sits like a door stop if I use the DVI output and the
    Monitor is powered up. I have sent a message to ATI re this problem so
    if I ever hear back will post more.

    Hook the monitor up with both the Analog and DVI to the video card.
    This should start the system.Open the Radeon control center and under the
    displays tab pick the FPD as the primary.
    under scheme set a hot key for switch amongst displays.
    hope this helps
    peterk

    the problem
    <matt6ft9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > As you suggested, I tried having the monitor off when the computer is
    > powered on. Out of 6 power cycles, the computer booted on 3 of them.
    > On the 3 no-boot's, the computer did the same thing as before. (The
    > power light, fans and hard drive light all come on, but nothing
    > displayed on the screen and no booting)
    > So, it looks like the using the DVI cable with the ATI 9600 is not an
    > option.
    > I'll throw this out there for everyone: Why doesn't ATI get this fixed
    > on the 9600???
    > David, thanks sooo much for your input.
    > Matt Meerian

    Hi,
    I tried hooking up both the DVI and analog cables, booting into windows
    xp, right clicking on the ATI icon and then selecting: Settings -> ATI
    Display Settings -> Display tab. I then selected the FPD and rebooted
    several times. The computer still does not boot and the monitor does
    not display anything about 50% of the time when the DVI connector is
    attached to the computer.
    An interesting thing I found out was that my compaq motherboard was
    made by ASUS. (which david (see above) also used for a motherboard)
    Matt M.

    I just changed my system to a socket 939 and PCI-E with an X700pro board,
    but only 1 week ago i still was using an 9600pro that connected with the dvi
    connector NEVER worked on my BenQ FP751 monitor.
    The system NEVER started....now it does!

    Hope it helps
    Ciao...Marco

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hook the monitor up with both the Analog and DVI to the video card.
    > This should start the system.Open the Radeon control center and under the
    > displays tab pick the FPD as the primary.
    > under scheme set a hot key for switch amongst displays.
    > hope this helps
    > peterk
    >

    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about the problem
    > <matt6ft9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> As you suggested, I tried having the monitor off when the computer is
    >> powered on. Out of 6 power cycles, the computer booted on 3 of them.
    >> On the 3 no-boot's, the computer did the same thing as before. (The
    >> power light, fans and hard drive light all come on, but nothing
    >> displayed on the screen and no booting)
    >> So, it looks like the using the DVI cable with the ATI 9600 is not an
    >> option.
    >> I'll throw this out there for everyone: Why doesn't ATI get this fixed
    >> on the 9600???
    >> David, thanks sooo much for your input.
    >> Matt Meerian

    And so do I ..........A7N8X Del ver2.0 with an Uber 1008 Bioswith an AMD
    barton 2500 running at 200x11and with an Enermax 435w PSU powering 2 dual
    layer dvr-r/rw DVD's /2 EIDE HD/2 Sata HD/Haupage TV card/ etc/etc
    and My 9600 pro connected by DVI to my Benq FP931 starts each and every
    time.
    have you checked your Bios settings to assure that AGP is before PCI??

    > Hi,
    > I tried hooking up both the DVI and analog cables, booting into windows
    > xp, right clicking on the ATI icon and then selecting: Settings -> ATI
    > Display Settings -> Display tab. I then selected the FPD and rebooted
    > several times. The computer still does not boot and the monitor does
    > not display anything about 50% of the time when the DVI connector is
    > attached to the computer.
    > An interesting thing I found out was that my compaq motherboard was
    > made by ASUS. (which david (see above) also used for a motherboard)
    > Matt M.

    To follow up: (no solution yet)
    In a computer with a Shuttle motherboard, (AMD1800, 256MB RAM, and win
    XP) it appears the Acer LCD monitor to DVI cable to ATI 9600 video card
    setup is working fine. The computer goes through BIOS and then boots
    normally into windows. (the computer was power cycled about 8 times
    and it booted flawlessly every time)
    So, it looks like the motherboard in the compaq computer is to blame
    for the no-boot when the DVI cable (and monitor) is hooked up to the
    ATI 9600 video card. The motherboard in the compaq is an ASUS A7V8X-LA
    according to the writing near the PCI slots. (Asus has listed a A7V8X,
    A7V8X-MX, A7V8X-MX SE, and a A7V8X-X but no A7V8X-LA) Anyway, I'll
    take my question to a motherboard group and burn up many more hours
    troubleshooting. :)
    thanks for all the input,
    Matt Meerian

    Can you leave both the analog and DVI connected and will it boot with that??
    then when(if) it does change to DVI once your in XP.............I know its
    not a solution just a workaround {=}

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:46:20 GMT, "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net>
    wrote:

    >Can you leave both the analog and DVI connected and will it boot with that??
    >then when(if) it does change to DVI once your in XP.............I know its
    >not a solution just a workaround {=}
    >peterk

    Hello

    David here if you every find a solution let me know as I said before
    my ASUS K8V delux will not start at all using DVI unless I power the
    computer up before the Monitor. I have tried to princeton LCD 19"
    monitors and both cause the same problem. I posted a E-Mail to ATI but
    no answer and knowing there track record don't expect to hear back.

    David

    Hi,
    Having both the analog and DVI connector attached to the ATI 9600 video
    card and LCD monitor does not allow the computer to boot.
    Compaq (HP) technical support seems to think the problem is caused by
    the integrated video controller. Their solution didn't work for me,
    but here it is if you want to try it:
    Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

    I see that an an ATI 9600 (256 MB) video card is installed in the AGP
    slot of your Compaq S6200CL. The computer does not boot when LCD
    monitor
    is connected to the video card using the DVI cable. However, the
    computer will boot when a monitor is connected using the analog 15 port

    on the ATI 9600 video card.

    This issue might occur if the on board video is enable. To resolve the
    issue, I suggested you to connect the monitor to the on board video and

    start the window. After starting up the window disable the on board
    video in the device manager and then uninstall and reinstall the ATI
    video card. Then install the driver for the card.

    To disable the onboard video controller, follow these steps:

    1. Turn on or restart the computer.
    2. At the blue Compaq screen, press the F8 key repeatedly to display
    the Windows Advanced menu.
    3. From the menu, choose Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    4. Click OK on the desktop message.
    5. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    6. Double-click the System icon.
    4. Click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.
    8. If View devices by type is not checked, select it by clicking it.
    9. Click the plus (+) sign next to the Display adapters category to
    expand it.
    10. Right-Click on the integrated video controller and click
    PROPERTIES.
    11. In the Device Usage pull down box, choose DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE
    (DISABLE).
    12. Click APPLY.
    13. Close the remaining windows.
    14. Restart the computer.
    15. At the blue HP screen, press the F1 key repeatedly until the
    message
    "Entering Setup" appears.
    16. At the setup screen, press F5 and then press ENTER to reset all
    data.
    17. Press F10 then ENTER to save and exit.

    Next, in order to install the Graphics card, follow these steps:

    1. Find the open AGP expansion slot for the video card.

    2. Remove the case insert that corresponds to the slot on the
    motherboard. This is usually done by unscrewing, but some cases have
    punch out inserts.

    3. Insert the video card in the slot. You might need to rock the card
    in, inserting one end first, then rocking the rest of the pins into
    place.If the board tends to bend, it may be necessary to place one hand

    underneath the board to hold it up.

    4. Screw the card into place.

    If you face any problem installing the graphics card, visit the nearest

    Compaq authorized service center.

    Matt Meerian

Radeon Computer DVI ATI Graphics