Where do I get General Display Adapter?

Because of the failure of TV Tuner in MMC 7.7.0.1 using AIW Radeon 8500
DV video card, with DirectX 9.0b, I have upgraded to DirectX 9.0c on my
XP system, as advised on this Newsgroup. Now I have to re-install the
Display adapter, the ATI Control Panel and the video capture driver in
the Catalyst package. When the process of installing the Display
Adapter starts, ATI wants a general Dispaly adapter to replace the ATI
adapter working on my system before going to the upgrade. I have gone
through the Control Panel in XP and asked XP to let me select my driver
whihch was accepted. But when I asked XP to show all the drivers
available for Display adapter the General driver which normally shows
up for several other devices like modems, did not show up in the list.
All drivers shown were of ATI for different video cards. I even tried
to install a new Display adapter but even for that the only
manufacturer shown was ATI and there was no genral Display adapter in
the list.
So how do I install a general dispaly adapter to start the prosess of
installing the correct drivers over the standard, as required by ATI?

P. Jayant

On 11 Jul 2005 09:07:25 -0700, "pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in>
wrote:

>Because of the failure of TV Tuner in MMC 7.7.0.1 using AIW Radeon 8500
>DV video card, with DirectX 9.0b, I have upgraded to DirectX 9.0c on my
>XP system, as advised on this Newsgroup. Now I have to re-install the
>Display adapter, the ATI Control Panel and the video capture driver in
>the Catalyst package. When the process of installing the Display
>Adapter starts, ATI wants a general Dispaly adapter to replace the ATI
>adapter working on my system before going to the upgrade. I have gone
>through the Control Panel in XP and asked XP to let me select my driver
>whihch was accepted. But when I asked XP to show all the drivers
>available for Display adapter the General driver which normally shows
>up for several other devices like modems, did not show up in the list.
>All drivers shown were of ATI for different video cards. I even tried
>to install a new Display adapter but even for that the only
>manufacturer shown was ATI and there was no genral Display adapter in
>the list.
>So how do I install a general dispaly adapter to start the prosess of
>installing the correct drivers over the standard, as required by ATI?
>
>P. Jayant

It may be, pjayant, that the presence of previous ATI drivers is
what's preventing a standard display adapter from being set by your
system.

I would recommend that you always uninstall your ATI software and
drivers before installing a new one, and run a cleaner as well before
re-installing. This is, IMHO, good practice even when upgrading your
driver; when downgrading (as, for instance, trying different drivers
to try to fix your problem), it's essential.

If you've installed an all-in-one (i.e. including display driver,
capture driver and Control Panel/Centre) driver from the Catalyst
range, you should already have ATI's proprietary driver cleaner
installed: it's called the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility and you
can see it in Add/Remove Programs. If it's not there, you can
download it from http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe.

What you should do is uninstall all your ATI software and drivers,
finishing up with the display driver, and then reboot. Now run the
ATI utility; then you'll have to reboot again. But that should,
hopefully, clear the old drivers from your system.

When the wizard to install a videocard driver starts when you reboot,
after you've uninstalled the display driver, cancel out of it and do
the same each time you reboot until you install a new driver. When
you've finished cleaning and rebooting, look in Device Manager and see
if your display adapter is showing and, if it is, what as. It should,
hopefully, be one of the standard drivers (there are different ones,
and different cards don't actually all revert to the same one) and not
have any problem indications. Don't worry if it says it's a PCI
adapter; that's actually the most common one for an older ATI card
with no enhanced driver installed.

If it's not showing, or if it's showing with problems, reboot again;
this time let the wizard run and make its own choice for a driver.
Now you should have a standard driver installed and can start
installing the enhanced drivers. I recall that you're on dial-up, but
it is worth downloading the all-in-one driver suite rather than the
separate capture and display drivers, and Control Panel (don't bother
with the Control Centre, or all-in-one versions that include that
rather than the Control Panel: it's a larger download, it also
requires that you download and install M$' .net, and .net and the
Control Centre will do little more for you than use up your system
resources) because it should make the installation process easier.

So the problem was DirectX 9.0b after all, was it? I was fortunate
enough never to suffer it; although I get PAL broadcasts, I've usually
used VIVO rather than AIW cards, and never had a separate tuner card,
so it didn't affect me - no tuner (direct composite video in)! But
AIW users were dropping like flies all round me! ;-)

As to which driver to use, I know that you can use Catalyst 3.8 (which
does come as an all-in-one version as well as separates) and run MMC
7.7.0.1 quite happily with it, as I'm doing that myself with a Radeon
7200 in a W98SE box. I'm not sure, but you could probably go up to at
least Catalyst 4.12 and run MMC 7.7.0.1 with it.

However, you can also run higher versions of MMC and the Catalyst
drivers if you want. I know that for AIW cards older than the 9xxx
series, it's not recommended that you use later than MMC 9.02; I don't
know whether that goes with tuner cards as well.

As I've said, I've never had a separate tuner card, so I can't really
advise on those, but I would think it would be a good idea to
physically remove it after uninstalling, and install the drivers for
the videocard before replacing and reinstalling the tuner card.

An additional precaution that can help to clean your system is to
remove all ATI devices from Sound, video and game controllers in
Device Manager immediately before uninstalling the display driver. if
you've been messing about with different drivers, it might be an idea
to set View -> Show hidden devices in Device Manager to make sure you
get everything, although XP and 2000 are generally pretty good at
removing superfluous devices themselves.

Hope this is of some help in resolving your problems. Feel free to
ask more, and come back to us if you have further problems, but
remember - we need your feedback, too, to resolve your problems!

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...