ATI 9600XT with Adobe Premiere

I have just loaded Adobe Premiere on one of my machines with the intention
of capturing video from a VCR connected to my ATI 9600XT video card.
Premiere does not show the ATI as an option for capturing, only a firewire
connection. Does anyone know if you can capture from an ATI with Adobe
Premiere and if you can, how do you get it to recognize this card? Also,
can anyone tell me what the correct driver version is for the 9600XT? Yes,
I have been to ATI's driver download but I can't find anything that
specifically says it is the latest driver for the 9600XT. Would appreciate
any help you experts could give me.

--
Barb

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a
nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
7 answers Last reply
More about 9600xt adobe premiere

    Barbara Mullenix wrote:
    > I have just loaded Adobe Premiere on one of my machines with the intention
    > of capturing video from a VCR connected to my ATI 9600XT video card.
    > Premiere does not show the ATI as an option for capturing, only a firewire
    > connection. Does anyone know if you can capture from an ATI with Adobe
    > Premiere and if you can, how do you get it to recognize this card? Also,
    > can anyone tell me what the correct driver version is for the 9600XT? Yes,
    > I have been to ATI's driver download but I can't find anything that
    > specifically says it is the latest driver for the 9600XT. Would appreciate
    > any help you experts could give me.

    ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers are unified for all Radeon cards.

    IMHO Premiere should see the ATI capture driver as a device.

    However, Adobe says the following about cards:

    " Problems may occur if the capture card or the video driver isn't
    compatible with Premiere and the operating system. For a list of
    Adobe-certified capture cards and drivers, visit the Adobe website at
    www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdwr.html. For a list of
    Microsoft-certified cards and compatible operating systems, visit the
    Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx (Choose 1394
    Controller from the "In the following types" pop-up menu, and then click
    Search.) If your capture card isn't certified, see document 322576 , "Su
    pport Limitations for Using Uncertified Capture Cards with Premiere 6.x."

    " -- If you use an OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences>
    Device Control 2.0.

    -- If you use a non-OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences >
    Scratch Disk/Device Control, and select the card's device control. "

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0528-1, 11/07/2005
    Tested on: 12/07/2005 00:09:24

    On ATI's customer care site they show Adobe as a Software Partner with
    drivers listed for each application. For Adobe Premiere Pro they show the
    driver version to be 7.88.41, which I downloaded and installed. Premiere
    still doesn't show the ATI capture card unless I'm doing something wrong. I
    just got Premiere and I admit I don't know much about it but I can't see
    anything I can do to force it to recognize the ATI card.

    Adobe Premiere Pro 7.88.4.1 FireGL X1-128

    "Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Barbara Mullenix wrote:
    >> I have just loaded Adobe Premiere on one of my machines with the
    >> intention of capturing video from a VCR connected to my ATI 9600XT video
    >> card. Premiere does not show the ATI as an option for capturing, only a
    >> firewire connection. Does anyone know if you can capture from an ATI
    >> with Adobe Premiere and if you can, how do you get it to recognize this
    >> card? Also, can anyone tell me what the correct driver version is for
    >> the 9600XT? Yes, I have been to ATI's driver download but I can't find
    >> anything that specifically says it is the latest driver for the 9600XT.
    >> Would appreciate any help you experts could give me.
    >>

    > ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers are unified for all Radeon cards.
    >
    > IMHO Premiere should see the ATI capture driver as a device.
    >
    > However, Adobe says the following about cards:
    >
    > " Problems may occur if the capture card or the video driver isn't
    > compatible with Premiere and the operating system. For a list of
    > Adobe-certified capture cards and drivers, visit the Adobe website at
    > www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdwr.html. For a list of
    > Microsoft-certified cards and compatible operating systems, visit the
    > Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx (Choose 1394
    > Controller from the "In the following types" pop-up menu, and then click
    > Search.) If your capture card isn't certified, see document 322576 , "Su
    > pport Limitations for Using Uncertified Capture Cards with Premiere 6.x."
    >
    > " -- If you use an OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences> Device
    > Control 2.0.
    >
    > -- If you use a non-OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences >
    > Scratch Disk/Device Control, and select the card's device control. "
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0528-1, 11/07/2005
    > Tested on: 12/07/2005 00:09:24

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:34:29 GMT, "Barbara Mullenix"
    <bmullenix@nospamhouston.rr.com> wrote:

    >On ATI's customer care site they show Adobe as a Software Partner with
    >drivers listed for each application. For Adobe Premiere Pro they show the
    >driver version to be 7.88.41, which I downloaded and installed. Premiere
    >still doesn't show the ATI capture card unless I'm doing something wrong. I
    >just got Premiere and I admit I don't know much about it but I can't see
    >anything I can do to force it to recognize the ATI card.
    >
    > Adobe Premiere Pro 7.88.4.1 FireGL X1-128
    >

    >Barb
    >
    >"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a
    >nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
    >
    >"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Barbara Mullenix wrote:
    >>> I have just loaded Adobe Premiere on one of my machines with the
    >>> intention of capturing video from a VCR connected to my ATI 9600XT video
    >>> card. Premiere does not show the ATI as an option for capturing, only a
    >>> firewire connection. Does anyone know if you can capture from an ATI
    >>> with Adobe Premiere and if you can, how do you get it to recognize this
    >>> card? Also, can anyone tell me what the correct driver version is for
    >>> the 9600XT? Yes, I have been to ATI's driver download but I can't find
    >>> anything that specifically says it is the latest driver for the 9600XT.
    >>> Would appreciate any help you experts could give me.
    >>>

    >> ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers are unified for all Radeon cards.
    >>
    >> IMHO Premiere should see the ATI capture driver as a device.
    >>
    >> However, Adobe says the following about cards:
    >>
    >> " Problems may occur if the capture card or the video driver isn't
    >> compatible with Premiere and the operating system. For a list of
    >> Adobe-certified capture cards and drivers, visit the Adobe website at
    >> www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdwr.html. For a list of
    >> Microsoft-certified cards and compatible operating systems, visit the
    >> Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx (Choose 1394
    >> Controller from the "In the following types" pop-up menu, and then click
    >> Search.) If your capture card isn't certified, see document 322576 , "Su
    >> pport Limitations for Using Uncertified Capture Cards with Premiere 6.x."
    >>
    >> " -- If you use an OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences> Device
    >> Control 2.0.
    >>
    >> -- If you use a non-OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences >
    >> Scratch Disk/Device Control, and select the card's device control. "
    >>

    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0528-1, 11/07/2005
    >> Tested on: 12/07/2005 00:09:24

    AFAIK none of ATI's own 9600 cards, except the AIW, are capture cards,
    Barbara, although many of the OEM versions are. A 'Built by ATI'
    9600XT would not be.

    Also, even if you have a capture card, it's necessary to to install
    the capture (WDM) drivers: a stand-alone display driver from ATI will
    not include this. You need either one of their 'all-in-one' Catalyst
    driver sets (the 'high speed' as opposed to the 'low speed' ones) or
    to download the appropriate separate capture driver and install it if
    you've already installed the stand-alone display driver.

    HTH Patrick

    <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    > AFAIK none of ATI's own 9600 cards, except the AIW, are capture cards,

    This is the key point. If the OP does indeed have a AIW card, it still will
    not be visible to Premier Pro. I think the last version of Premier to
    recognize my 9600 AIW was 6.0.

    To capture from a VCR for use in Premier, you just use the MMC app (Virtual
    VCR or Virtual Dub work fine as well) and capture to uncompressed avi format
    (the HuffYUV codec is usually best) and then import the file into Premier.

    I am able to capture with Ulead's DVD Movie Factory Studio and with Pinnacle
    Studio 7. Also have captured with the MMC app. I have also imported these
    files into Premiere. The problem with the imported files is that it does
    not allow me to use scene detect in Premiere, it imports the file as a
    single scene. It is much easier to edit if the file is broken into scenes
    as it is in Pinnacle Studio 7. I have another All-In-Wonder card on my
    older PC and had always used it for capturing until I got the newer PC with
    the faster card last year.

    --

    "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:34:29 GMT, "Barbara Mullenix"
    > <bmullenix@nospamhouston.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On ATI's customer care site they show Adobe as a Software Partner with
    >>drivers listed for each application. For Adobe Premiere Pro they show the
    >>driver version to be 7.88.41, which I downloaded and installed. Premiere
    >>still doesn't show the ATI capture card unless I'm doing something wrong.
    >>just got Premiere and I admit I don't know much about it but I can't see
    >>anything I can do to force it to recognize the ATI card.
    >>
    >> Adobe Premiere Pro 7.88.4.1 FireGL X1-128
    >>

    >>Barb
    >>
    >>"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a
    >>nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
    >>
    >>"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers are unified for all Radeon cards.
    >>>
    >>> IMHO Premiere should see the ATI capture driver as a device.
    >>>
    >>> However, Adobe says the following about cards:
    >>>
    >>> " Problems may occur if the capture card or the video driver isn't
    >>> compatible with Premiere and the operating system. For a list of
    >>> Adobe-certified capture cards and drivers, visit the Adobe website at
    >>> www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdwr.html. For a list of
    >>> Microsoft-certified cards and compatible operating systems, visit the
    >>> Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx (Choose 1394
    >>> Controller from the "In the following types" pop-up menu, and then click
    >>> Search.) If your capture card isn't certified, see document 322576 , "Su
    >>> pport Limitations for Using Uncertified Capture Cards with Premiere
    >>> 6.x."
    >>>
    >>> " -- If you use an OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences>
    >>> Device
    >>> Control 2.0.
    >>>
    >>> -- If you use a non-OHCI-compliant card, choose Edit > Preferences >
    >>> Scratch Disk/Device Control, and select the card's device control. "
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >>> Virus Database (VPS): 0528-1, 11/07/2005
    >>> Tested on: 12/07/2005 00:09:24
    >>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    >>>

    > AFAIK none of ATI's own 9600 cards, except the AIW, are capture cards,
    > Barbara, although many of the OEM versions are. A 'Built by ATI'
    > 9600XT would not be.
    >
    > Also, even if you have a capture card, it's necessary to to install
    > the capture (WDM) drivers: a stand-alone display driver from ATI will
    > not include this. You need either one of their 'all-in-one' Catalyst
    > driver sets (the 'high speed' as opposed to the 'low speed' ones) or
    > to download the appropriate separate capture driver and install it if
    > you've already installed the stand-alone display driver.
    >
    > HTH Patrick
    >
    > <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    patrickp wrote:
    <snip>

    > AFAIK none of ATI's own 9600 cards, except the AIW, are capture cards,
    > Barbara, although many of the OEM versions are. A 'Built by ATI'
    > 9600XT would not be.
    >
    > Also, even if you have a capture card, it's necessary to to install
    > the capture (WDM) drivers: a stand-alone display driver from ATI will
    > not include this. You need either one of their 'all-in-one' Catalyst
    > driver sets (the 'high speed' as opposed to the 'low speed' ones) or
    > to download the appropriate separate capture driver and install it if
    > you've already installed the stand-alone display driver.
    >
    > HTH Patrick
    >
    > <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    Patrick - I'm SO embarrassed - my eyes told me the OP was talking about
    an AIW card!! Sorry everybody!! ;-((

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0528-3, 13/07/2005
    Tested on: 14/07/2005 00:20:10

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:20:09 +0100, Ian <ian@nospam.net> wrote:

    >patrickp wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> AFAIK none of ATI's own 9600 cards, except the AIW, are capture cards,
    >> Barbara, although many of the OEM versions are. A 'Built by ATI'
    >> 9600XT would not be.
    >>
    >> Also, even if you have a capture card, it's necessary to to install
    >> the capture (WDM) drivers: a stand-alone display driver from ATI will
    >> not include this. You need either one of their 'all-in-one' Catalyst
    >> driver sets (the 'high speed' as opposed to the 'low speed' ones) or
    >> to download the appropriate separate capture driver and install it if
    >> you've already installed the stand-alone display driver.
    >>
    >> HTH Patrick
    >>
    >> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
    >
    >Patrick - I'm SO embarrassed - my eyes told me the OP was talking about
    >an AIW card!! Sorry everybody!! ;-((
    >

    >---
    >avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >Virus Database (VPS): 0528-3, 13/07/2005
    >Tested on: 14/07/2005 00:20:10
    >avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

    Looks like you're correct, actually, Ian: OP posted again a few hours
    before your last mentioning "another All-In-Wonder card," so
    presumably the first one is as well. She also mentions capturing with
    it in other apllications, so it must have video in.

    Patrick

    <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Radeon Adobe Premiere ATI Graphics