Problem with ATI Radeon AIW 9600 - Video Flutter top 10% -..

I am having a on going problem on the primary pc.

I have traced it to the Ati all in wonder radeon 9600 agp card.

At times when I turn on cable tv and go to the program guide for
a couple of moments I see the video defects.

ok so they go away after that for watching tv.

Ok next...

When I try and hook up any VCR to the card. I get intermitant
video defects at the top 10 percent to 15 percent portion of
the screen.

I do not believe it to be a macrovision thing....

It's frustrating that I cant do family vactions vcr stuff on the
machine that has that card.

How do I know it is not macrovision ?

Well I am guessing really.

When I put the same vcr's yes vcr's I have gone through five already,
on to a a ATI All In Wonder 128 rage card. I dont have these problems.

Since the ATI aiw 128 card does not work in Windows 2000 pro I am forced
in to using Windows 98 se mode on the secondary machine.

Do I use the MMC software to record with? No. I dont like it and the
video is not as good in my opinion for the work I do.

ATI's website for problem reporting wants to know serial numbers and
all that stuff. THis kind of stinks because I would really rather
now tear down the machine to pull the video card.

I am not really sure what to do next and I thought I would come here and
see if others have the same problems with the 9600 card like I do.

Please lets not discuss drivers. Thew latest drivers make the video look
worse on this card of mine and I had to remove them and put the older
drivers back in.

Peoples faces were looking like they were burned or .. well there was
pixel defects in the colors I guess I can put it that way. All in all
it was unacceptable.

Thoughts ?

(not interested in drivers suggestions)

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:db123p0s1g@drn.newsguy.com...

> I am having a on going problem on the primary pc.
>
> I have traced it to the Ati all in wonder radeon 9600 agp card.
>
> At times when I turn on cable tv and go to the program guide for
> a couple of moments I see the video defects.
>
> ok so they go away after that for watching tv.
>

> Ok next...
>
> When I try and hook up any VCR to the card. I get intermitant
> video defects at the top 10 percent to 15 percent portion of
> the screen.
>
> I do not believe it to be a macrovision thing....
>
> It's frustrating that I cant do family vactions vcr stuff on the
> machine that has that card.
>

> How do I know it is not macrovision ?
>
> Well I am guessing really.
>
> When I put the same vcr's yes vcr's I have gone through five already,
> on to a a ATI All In Wonder 128 rage card. I dont have these problems.
>

> Since the ATI aiw 128 card does not work in Windows 2000 pro I am forced
> in to using Windows 98 se mode on the secondary machine.
>
> Do I use the MMC software to record with? No. I dont like it and the
> video is not as good in my opinion for the work I do.
>
> ATI's website for problem reporting wants to know serial numbers and
> all that stuff. THis kind of stinks because I would really rather
> now tear down the machine to pull the video card.
>

> I am not really sure what to do next and I thought I would come here and
> see if others have the same problems with the 9600 card like I do.
>
> Please lets not discuss drivers. Thew latest drivers make the video look
> worse on this card of mine and I had to remove them and put the older
> drivers back in.
>
> Peoples faces were looking like they were burned or .. well there was
> pixel defects in the colors I guess I can put it that way. All in all
> it was unacceptable.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> (not interested in drivers suggestions)
>

> --
You really aren't leaving anything to discuss. You're trying to build a
house on an defective foundation. Sounds like you have a driver, heat or
power supply problem. Only thing I can suggest is checking the Crop Video
Box. I doubt that's it. AFAIK that only affects MMC. I've been using an
AIW9600XT on another computer for months w/o problem. I have seen a lot of
post about installation problems for capture drivers and MMC. Sometimes the
ATI components don't install correctly sometime their O/S has problems. MMC
works fine for capturing when installed correctly. FYI this computer has
been running W2K with an AIW128PRO for 2 years w/o problem. The theater200
chip on the 9600 is better for capturing.
Good luck, you'll need it.

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:db123p0s1g@drn.newsguy.com...
>>

>> I am having a on going problem on the primary pc.
>>
>> I have traced it to the Ati all in wonder radeon 9600 agp card.
>>
>> At times when I turn on cable tv and go to the program guide for
>> a couple of moments I see the video defects.
>>
>> ok so they go away after that for watching tv.
>>

>> Ok next...
>>
>> When I try and hook up any VCR to the card. I get intermitant
>> video defects at the top 10 percent to 15 percent portion of
>> the screen.
>>
>> I do not believe it to be a macrovision thing....
>>
>> It's frustrating that I cant do family vactions vcr stuff on the
>> machine that has that card.
>>

>> How do I know it is not macrovision ?
>>
>> Well I am guessing really.
>>
>> When I put the same vcr's yes vcr's I have gone through five already,
>> on to a a ATI All In Wonder 128 rage card. I dont have these problems.
>>

>> Since the ATI aiw 128 card does not work in Windows 2000 pro I am forced
>> in to using Windows 98 se mode on the secondary machine.
>>
>> Do I use the MMC software to record with? No. I dont like it and the
>> video is not as good in my opinion for the work I do.
>>
>> ATI's website for problem reporting wants to know serial numbers and
>> all that stuff. THis kind of stinks because I would really rather
>> now tear down the machine to pull the video card.
>>

>> I am not really sure what to do next and I thought I would come here and
>> see if others have the same problems with the 9600 card like I do.
>>
>> Please lets not discuss drivers. Thew latest drivers make the video look
>> worse on this card of mine and I had to remove them and put the older
>> drivers back in.
>>
>> Peoples faces were looking like they were burned or .. well there was
>> pixel defects in the colors I guess I can put it that way. All in all
>> it was unacceptable.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> (not interested in drivers suggestions)
>>

>> --
> You really aren't leaving anything to discuss. You're trying to build a
> house on an defective foundation. Sounds like you have a driver, heat or
> power supply problem. Only thing I can suggest is checking the Crop Video
> Box. I doubt that's it. AFAIK that only affects MMC. I've been using an
> AIW9600XT on another computer for months w/o problem. I have seen a lot of
> post about installation problems for capture drivers and MMC. Sometimes
> the
> ATI components don't install correctly sometime their O/S has problems.
> MMC
> works fine for capturing when installed correctly. FYI this computer has
> been running W2K with an AIW128PRO for 2 years w/o problem. The theater200
> chip on the 9600 is better for capturing.
> Good luck, you'll need it.

using a 9600aiw here, works okay, but my hauppauge pvr 150 is much easier to
install when changing mbs, etc...cpu load is also less...

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:27:35 -0700 xmradio said :

>using a 9600aiw here, works okay, but my hauppauge pvr 150 is much easier to
>install when changing mbs, etc...cpu load is also less...

I have been considering the Hauppage and dum the ati 9600 because of
the bad borders.

Just cropping huge sections of video is undesireable. Would anyone want
dear old Aunt Mabel's forehead being cut off from a recording of a family
event ?

I dont think so.

I see there may be another reply so will browse to that next.

--

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:14:18 GMT T Shadow said :
>FYI this computer has
>been running W2K with an AIW128PRO for 2 years w/o problem. The theater200
>chip on the 9600 is better for capturing.
>Good luck, you'll need it.

I cant record anything on the w2k pro in reguards to the Aiw128
because of the drivers. All it gives me is :

ATI Bt829 Capture

352x288 is the largest box I can bring up.

But if I go in to Windows 98 SE then I can access 720x480 using YUY2
and get a lot better looking video capture. Also no screen flutter
using the same VCR's that were tested on the Primary machine.

I may be doing a a wedding video soon so looks like I will have to
do the capture on a slower machine using the old AIW that works better
video frame wise than the AIW 9600.

--

xmradio wrote:

> [...]
>> house on an defective foundation. Sounds like you have a driver, heat or
>> power supply problem. Only thing I can suggest is checking the Crop Video
>> Box. I doubt that's it. AFAIK that only affects MMC. I've been using an
>> AIW9600XT on another computer for months w/o problem. I have seen a lot
>> of post about installation problems for capture drivers and MMC.
>> Sometimes the
>> ATI components don't install correctly sometime their O/S has problems.
>> MMC
>> works fine for capturing when installed correctly. FYI this computer has
>> been running W2K with an AIW128PRO for 2 years w/o problem. The
>> theater200 chip on the 9600 is better for capturing.
>> Good luck, you'll need it.
>>
> using a 9600aiw here, works okay, but my hauppauge pvr 150 is much easier
> to install when changing mbs, etc...cpu load is also less...

It should be. The Hauppauge PVR boards have hardware encoding.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:db50vg010lv@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:14:18 GMT T Shadow said :
> >FYI this computer has
> >been running W2K with an AIW128PRO for 2 years w/o problem. The
theater200
> >chip on the 9600 is better for capturing.
> >Good luck, you'll need it.
> >

> I cant record anything on the w2k pro in reguards to the Aiw128
> because of the drivers. All it gives me is :
>
> ATI Bt829 Capture
>
> 352x288 is the largest box I can bring up.
>
> But if I go in to Windows 98 SE then I can access 720x480 using YUY2
> and get a lot better looking video capture. Also no screen flutter
> using the same VCR's that were tested on the Primary machine.
>
> I may be doing a a wedding video soon so looks like I will have to
> do the capture on a slower machine using the old AIW that works better
> video frame wise than the AIW 9600.

I can bring up the DVD high setting from the Custom Button but my PIII-450
won't do it. Too many dropped frames.
Looks like your W2K install is hosed too. The AIW128PRO has the Theater chip
not a BT.