What exactly is the pink stuff on the back of the X800XL?

Fisher wrote:

> I bought an ATI X800XL yesterday and noticed this pink square on the
> back of the card. The other vendors are not using it on their X800XL
> cards so why is ATI? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal compound.
> Here's a pic of it I found on the web.
>
> http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/images/20050329151909_21527.jpg

It does, indeed, look like some kind of thermal interface material. But
what's the use of that if there's no heatsink to transfer the heat to?

You can always pull it off carefully to see what kind of chip is underneath
it. Afterwards you can always attach a heatsink using Arctic Silver Thermal
Adhesive or something like that.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

The chip is the rialto bridge which is used to convert ,what is in essence,
a PCE express video card to an AGP card. the pink stuff is used as a type of
heatsink - do not remove it - you will invalidate your warranty and
potentially have heat issues.

I belive that all AGP type X800xl cards have this pink stuff - my Powercolor
one does.

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:11dajce4koid49d@corp.supernews.com...
> Fisher wrote:
>
>> I bought an ATI X800XL yesterday and noticed this pink square on the
>> back of the card. The other vendors are not using it on their X800XL
>> cards so why is ATI? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal compound.
>> Here's a pic of it I found on the web.
>>
>> http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/images/20050329151909_21527.jpg
>
> It does, indeed, look like some kind of thermal interface material. But
> what's the use of that if there's no heatsink to transfer the heat to?
>
> You can always pull it off carefully to see what kind of chip is
> underneath it. Afterwards you can always attach a heatsink using Arctic
> Silver Thermal Adhesive or something like that.
>
> =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

fisher

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:37:43 GMT, "Spud" <spud@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>The chip is the rialto bridge which is used to convert ,what is in essence,
>a PCE express video card to an AGP card. the pink stuff is used as a type of
>heatsink - do not remove it - you will invalidate your warranty and
>potentially have heat issues.
>
>I belive that all AGP type X800xl cards have this pink stuff - my Powercolor
>one does.

Kind of a flaky heatsink. I can see this stuff deteriorating over
time. I would rather have seen them put something more robust there,
you know, something made out of metal. It looks like a layer of bubble
gum. :)

raptor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
>I bought an ATI X800XL yesterday and noticed this pink square on the
> back of the card. The other vendors are not using it on their X800XL
> cards so why is ATI? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal compound.
> Here's a pic of it I found on the web.
>
> http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/images/20050329151909_21527.jpg

It's a pad to protect the chip and transistors. It should'nt be removed
and is not a fabric heat sink.

it is bubblegum, sniff it

Fisher wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:37:43 GMT, "Spud" <spud@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>The chip is the rialto bridge which is used to convert ,what is in essence,
>>a PCE express video card to an AGP card. the pink stuff is used as a type of
>>heatsink - do not remove it - you will invalidate your warranty and
>>potentially have heat issues.
>>
>>I belive that all AGP type X800xl cards have this pink stuff - my Powercolor
>>one does.
>

> Kind of a flaky heatsink. I can see this stuff deteriorating over
> time. I would rather have seen them put something more robust there,
> you know, something made out of metal. It looks like a layer of bubble
> gum. :)

thin and light ? for those leaky days ?

Raptor wrote:
> "Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
>
>>I bought an ATI X800XL yesterday and noticed this pink square on the
>>back of the card. The other vendors are not using it on their X800XL
>>cards so why is ATI? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal compound.
>>Here's a pic of it I found on the web.
>>
>>http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/images/20050329151909_21527.jpg
>

> It's a pad to protect the chip and transistors. It should'nt be removed
> and is not a fabric heat sink.

The pad is for protection, necessary because the bridge chip is exposed on
the back of the card. Think AthlonXP CPU shim.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:11:10 -0700, "Raptor" <raptor3344@comcast.net>
wrote:

>It's a pad to protect the chip and transistors. It should'nt be removed
>and is not a fabric heat sink.

Now that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

shawk

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:11:10 -0700, "Raptor" <raptor3344@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>It's a pad to protect the chip and transistors. It should'nt be removed
>>and is not a fabric heat sink.
>>

> Now that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Hoping to pick up an X800XL next month, have a 9800Pro currently. What do
you think of the card? I'm asking because the 6800GT has now come down to
the same price and though I've been ATI for many years friends rave about
their GT.

fisher

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:20:03 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Hoping to pick up an X800XL next month, have a 9800Pro currently. What do
>you think of the card? I'm asking because the 6800GT has now come down to
>the same price and though I've been ATI for many years friends rave about
>their GT.

Well, I haven't done any numbering benchmarking but I can tell it's
faster than my 9800pro was of course but it's not an amazingly amount
faster. Lots of web benchamarks show it on par with the 6800GT, it
wins some, it loses some. I didn't get the 6800GT because I read of
driver issues with some of the games I play. I like it but like all
newer vid cards I think it's overpriced for what you actually get.

shawk

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:20:03 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

>>Hoping to pick up an X800XL next month, have a 9800Pro currently. What do
>>you think of the card? I'm asking because the 6800GT has now come down to
>>the same price and though I've been ATI for many years friends rave about
>>their GT.
>>

> Well, I haven't done any numbering benchmarking but I can tell it's
> faster than my 9800pro was of course but it's not an amazingly amount
> faster. Lots of web benchamarks show it on par with the 6800GT, it
> wins some, it loses some. I didn't get the 6800GT because I read of
> driver issues with some of the games I play. I like it but like all
> newer vid cards I think it's overpriced for what you actually get.

Thanks for that - appreciate it.