Woohoo STEAM update

Ladies and Gentleman

Choose your weapons

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch:
- Added SLAM, Stunstick and Crowbar

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

- Peter

--
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!
18 answers Last reply
More about woohoo steam update

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ladies and Gentleman
    >
    > Choose your weapons
    >
    > Half-Life 2: Deathmatch:
    > - Added SLAM, Stunstick and Crowbar
    >
    > http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news
    >
    > - Peter

    YEP! Steam updated itself when I started it up a while ago, and I got
    the news page too :) Hey, the following is for the Steam-Haters.... you
    just don't GET this stuff without Steam :)
    Thursday, February 17 2005

    At approximately 4:00 pm PST we'll be releasing an update that primarily
    focuses on Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. This update will include the
    addition of the Stunstick, SLAM, and the Crowbar. It will also include a
    new original map made by Valve, called Steamlab.

    Along with the update to the game, we'll be releasing the source code
    for Half-Life 2: Deathmatch in an update to the Source SDK, which should
    give our MOD community a wide range of functionality they can use to
    build their games. We're all excited to see what is built based off of
    it. The update to the SDK will also allow MOD developers to write their
    own custom shaders, which will lead to some unique visuals in their
    games.

    Looking ahead to next week, we're still on track for the Counter-Strike
    update, which will include a new map called cs_compound, along with a
    number of smaller changes and bug fixes.

    We get the SOURCE CODE for the HL2:DM!!!! Gee whiz. This is cool
    stuff!
    McG.

    > YEP! Steam updated itself when I started it up a while ago, and I got the
    > news page too :) Hey, the following is for the Steam-Haters.... you just
    > don't GET this stuff without Steam :)

    there are a lot of other ways to get updates besides steam. I have never
    had any problems downloading a patch and then clicking on the .exe that was
    downloaded ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "McGrandpa" wrote

    > We get the SOURCE CODE for the HL2:DM!!!! Gee whiz. This is cool stuff!

    And included is part of TF2 sourceode according to rumours

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" wrote
    >
    >> We get the SOURCE CODE for the HL2:DM!!!! Gee whiz. This is cool
    >> stuff!
    >
    > And included is part of TF2 sourceode according to rumours
    >
    > - Peter

    Aw man! I'm already drowning in stuff to dig through! :)
    McG.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:02:47 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
    wrote:

    >"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> YEP! Steam updated itself when I started it up a while ago, and I got the
    >> news page too :) Hey, the following is for the Steam-Haters.... you just
    >> don't GET this stuff without Steam :)
    >

    >there are a lot of other ways to get updates besides steam. I have never
    >had any problems downloading a patch and then clicking on the .exe that was
    >downloaded ;op

    God no! Right-click that exe and scan for viruses first, then
    right-click and 'extract with winrar or winzip'.....

    --
    steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

    "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message

    > God no! Right-click that exe and scan for viruses first,

    it gets scanned for viruses live as it downloads, no extra step for that
    needed ;o)

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    > Aw man! I'm already drowning in stuff to dig through! :)
    > McG.

    Does that include Joan Rivers' cunt boogers?

    "SpammersDie" wrote

    > Tell me again why Steam is a superior patch-management scheme.

    Do you wanna bet $1000 that you're going to get a virus via a Steam update?

    > "SpammersDie" wrote
    >
    >> Tell me again why Steam is a superior patch-management scheme.
    >>
    > Do you wanna bet $1000 that you're going to get a virus via a Steam
    > update?

    *I* won't get one because I'm not using Steam and won't be either.

    And this "do you wanna bet $1000" is a spectacularly dumb response. The fact
    that the odds are less than 50% that something bad will happen if you let
    your guard down is no reason to do so so when a perfectly workable
    alternative exists (or *should* exist) that doesn't require you to do that.

    Restricting updates through Steam prevents you from doing your own virus
    checks on executables delivered from a company that couldn't even keep its
    own source code secure from theft. There is no way you can spin that as an
    advantage of Steam over standard browser-based download.

    The only thing I don't like about Steam is the fact that you have to
    reauthenticate after so many months (I believe). So say you've got not
    internet connection (living in a rural area etc...) and you pop to your
    mates with an internet connection, get it authenticated, then go back home.
    Then you decide to move house to another rural area, and haven't played the
    game in months, then go to play it and it needs an internet connection to
    reauthenticate, how are you meant to reauthenticate it when you've got no
    internet connection.

    That's the only thing I don't like about it. Fair enough, when you first
    install the game when you've first bought it and it asks for authentication
    then yes I believe that is fine, just proving that you have a legal copy.
    But the "ticket" or whatever it's called should never expire at all, you've
    already proved you own a legit copy, why should you have prove yourself
    again???

    Just my pennies worth.

    WannaPieceOfme wrote:
    > The only thing I don't like about Steam is the fact that you have to
    > reauthenticate after so many months (I believe).

    AFAIK you never have to re-authenticate. There was a re-authenticate
    type bug when the game was released that was fixed with an update.
    Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

    Bertrand Russell

    SpammersDie wrote:
    > "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"SpammersDie" wrote
    >>

    >>>Tell me again why Steam is a superior patch-management scheme.
    >>>

    >>Do you wanna bet $1000 that you're going to get a virus via a Steam
    >>update?
    >

    > *I* won't get one because I'm not using Steam and won't be either.
    >
    > And this "do you wanna bet $1000" is a spectacularly dumb response. The fact
    > that the odds are less than 50% that something bad will happen if you let
    > your guard down is no reason to do so so when a perfectly workable
    > alternative exists (or *should* exist) that doesn't require you to do that.
    >
    > Restricting updates through Steam prevents you from doing your own virus
    > checks on executables delivered from a company that couldn't even keep its
    > own source code secure from theft. There is no way you can spin that as an
    > advantage of Steam over standard browser-based download.

    So from a risk point of view what do you think is more likely Valve
    screw up and deleivery a virus via Steam or someone manages to modiy a
    'patch' with a new virus, put it on a web-site and get people to
    download it?

    "SpammersDie" wrote

    > Restricting updates through Steam prevents you from doing your own virus
    > checks on executables delivered from a company that couldn't even keep its
    > own source code secure from theft.

    But nevertheless you go outside everyday, drive by bus, by train, even have
    a flight occasionally hmmm, oh well
    Having a virus attack is just annoying, real life gives you real threats

    And btw for the 10 years I have been in the business I haven't experienced
    got a severe SW problem caused by viruses or trojans

    Plenty of HW problems though but that's another story

    - Peter

    "JAB" wrote

    > So from a risk point of view what do you think is more likely ...

    Nahh don't bother as it's a "spectacularly dumb response"

    - Peter

    "JAB" <nothanks@nohope.net> wrote in message
    > SpammersDie wrote:
    >> "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"SpammersDie" wrote

    >>>Do you wanna bet $1000 that you're going to get a virus via a Steam
    >>>update?
    >>

    >> *I* won't get one because I'm not using Steam and won't be either.
    >>
    >> And this "do you wanna bet $1000" is a spectacularly dumb response. The
    >> fact that the odds are less than 50% that something bad will happen if
    >> you let your guard down is no reason to do so so when a perfectly
    >> workable alternative exists (or *should* exist) that doesn't require you
    >> to do that.
    >>
    >> Restricting updates through Steam prevents you from doing your own virus
    >> checks on executables delivered from a company that couldn't even keep
    >> its own source code secure from theft. There is no way you can spin that
    >> as an advantage of Steam over standard browser-based download.
    >>

    > So from a risk point of view what do you think is more likely Valve screw
    > up and deleivery a virus via Steam or someone manages to modiy a 'patch'
    > with a new virus, put it on a web-site and get people to download it?

    That's one reason I don't take patches from anywhere but the vendor's own
    site.

    And patches can be digitally signed so I can be sure that no virus or trojan
    was added after the vendor finalized the patch.

    So at worst, a vendor can provide a manual patch option that's no riskier
    than Steam. Plus in the manual scenario, the user has the choice to submit
    the patch to as many other probes as he wishes to before he runs it. Most
    other vendors are considerate enough to do this. But not Valve.

    > That's one reason I don't take patches from anywhere but the vendor's own
    > site.

    that has no bearing on anything. Corporate sites get hacked also. So
    getting it directly from the vendor is no guarantee. Hell, just look at
    valve ;o)

    > And patches can be digitally signed so I can be sure that no virus or
    > trojan was added after the vendor finalized the patch.

    digital signatures don't mean squat either. I am not saying they are
    useless, but they can be spoofed also.

    --

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    > "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote in message
    >>
    >>"JAB" <nothanks@nohope.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So from a risk point of view what do you think is more likely Valve
    >>> screw up and deleivery a virus via Steam or someone manages to modiy a
    >>> 'patch' with a new virus, put it on a web-site and get people to
    >>> download it?
    >>
    >> That's one reason I don't take patches from anywhere but the vendor's own
    >> site.
    >>

    > that has no bearing on anything. Corporate sites get hacked also. So
    > getting it directly from the vendor is no guarantee. Hell, just look at
    > valve ;o)
    >

    >> And patches can be digitally signed so I can be sure that no virus or
    >> trojan was added after the vendor finalized the patch.
    >>
    >>So at worst, a vendor can provide a manual patch option that's no riskier
    >>than Steam. Plus in the manual scenario, the user has the choice to submit
    >>the patch to as many other probes as he wishes to before he runs it. Most
    >>other vendors are considerate enough to do this. But not Valve.
    >
    > digital signatures don't mean squat either. I am not saying they are
    > useless, but they can be spoofed also.

    Since reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit, I'll spell it
    out one more time in nice short words, then that's it.

    Nobody here said manual patching was guaranteed risk free, idiot. This was
    about the comparative risks between Steam and manual patching and Steam
    carries all the risks above plus more.

    > Nobody here said manual patching was guaranteed risk free, idiot.

    that is a very good self description of yourself since apparently you
    apparently have big problems with reading comprehension. Plus you have a
    short memory.

    quote from earlier post:
    >>"And patches can be digitally signed so I can be sure that no virus or
    >>trojan was added after the vendor finalized the patch"

    If you are SURE there is no virus added, where is the risk??

    All I did was comment on what you said, there was no need for name calling.
    But now there is. Apparently you are an uneducated wet behind the ear
    pimple faced 12 year old that can't stand it when somebody comments on
    something you say, even when it wasn't even critical of your posting.

    idiot. ;o(

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm