USB Devices

August 9, 2005 5:44:41 PM

We have Windows XP Prof computers with no floopy and no cd rom in them. We
would like to prevent them from pluging in and installing any USB device
such as a memory stick.

We currently use the Group Policies to prohibit them from accessing the
desktop and other things. We tested plugging in a Memory Stick in the usb
port and the new hardware was found and installed. This is not a good thing
for us. Is there a place in the Group Policy that would prohibit them from
installing any new USB devices.

Thanks.

More about : usb devices

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:02:55 PM

Yes, you can use the Group Policy under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer, Prevent access to drives from My Computer. However, the choices offered are limited.

To enforce this manually, and restrict all but specific drives, the required value is stored in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

The value is: NoViewOnDrive

This a REG_DWORD type value. The number entered here is computed using binary math.

A = 1
B = 2
C = 4
D = 8
E = 16

and so on. Add up the numbers that correspond to the drive letters, you wish to prevent access to. The maximum decimal value is

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad file and save it with a REG extension. This sample prevents the user from accessing all drives but A, B, C and D. Add a line to your logon script that uses the command:

REGEDIT /S yourfile.reg

to import the REG file into the user's registry at logon.

------------ Copy below this line -------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoViewOnDrive"=dword:3fffff0

---------- Copy above this line, including the blank line ---------------------------

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Wayne Blosat" <wblosat@proconsrv.com> wrote in message news:%23alfRLRnFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> We have Windows XP Prof computers with no floopy and no cd rom in them. We
> would like to prevent them from pluging in and installing any USB device
> such as a memory stick.
>
> We currently use the Group Policies to prohibit them from accessing the
> desktop and other things. We tested plugging in a Memory Stick in the usb
> port and the new hardware was found and installed. This is not a good thing
> for us. Is there a place in the Group Policy that would prohibit them from
> installing any new USB devices.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:40:48 PM

Thanks. The second solution works better.

Wayne

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Wayne Blosat" <wblosat@proconsrv.com> wrote in message
> We have Windows XP Prof computers with no floopy and no cd rom in them.
> We
> would like to prevent them from pluging in and installing any USB device
> such as a memory stick.
>
> We currently use the Group Policies to prohibit them from accessing the
> desktop and other things. We tested plugging in a Memory Stick in the usb
> port and the new hardware was found and installed. This is not a good
> thing
> for us. Is there a place in the Group Policy that would prohibit them from
> installing any new USB devices.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:08:47 AM

You're welcome. Too bad its such a pain to implement manually.

!