Netgear Network Problems

We are a small charity with a wired network, and one PC (Win98) linked to
it through a wireless Netgear Access Point (WG602). Since this morning,
wireless connectivity has been lost. The access point's power indicator and
the network indicator are lit, the network activity indicator on the access
point is blinking constantly, but no connection is being established.

I have tried to access the 192.168.0.227 page on the browser to see whether
there are any settings I might need to change but it ony gives me a 'page
not found' error message, while I can ping the same IP address without
problem. Any pointers on what to do or what further information I might
need to provide (and where to find it as I'm a wireless ignoramus) would be
much appreciated.

Norbert

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

have you tried powering down and restarting the access point?

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in

> have you tried powering down and restarting the access point?

Yes, well, 'powr down' sound so sophisticated when all one can do is remove
the power plug, but have done that, and have also removed the network cable
and plugged it back in.

N.

We have to do this nearly every time with the router and I just unplug the
dc adapter in the back which restarts it. I must admit it is getting to be
a pain but can't understand why I have to keep doing this. I do switch off
the power at night as the router does get quite hot. Any suggestions why it
constantly needs rebooting? Using Belkin ASDL Modem with Built-in 802.11g
wireless router, connected to 2 pcs one windows xp, the other xp pro. Once
up and running okay but when I go to reset it the status indicates a private
ip address, once rebooted goes to belkins settings 192.168 etc

Thanks.

On 16 Jul 2004 10:19:55 GMT, Norbert Lieckfeldt
<nl@stammering.spamtrap.org> wrote:

>We are a small charity with a wired network, and one PC (Win98) linked to
>it through a wireless Netgear Access Point (WG602). Since this morning,
>wireless connectivity has been lost. The access point's power indicator and
>the network indicator are lit, the network activity indicator on the access
>point is blinking constantly, but no connection is being established.
>
>I have tried to access the 192.168.0.227 page on the browser to see whether
>there are any settings I might need to change but it ony gives me a 'page
>not found' error message, while I can ping the same IP address without
>problem. Any pointers on what to do or what further information I might
>need to provide (and where to find it as I'm a wireless ignoramus) would be
>much appreciated.
>
>Norbert

Can you scan for available wireless networks? Is yours listed as
available? Are there any others broadcasting on the same (or similar)
channel number? Is there any security on the network?

Simon Pleasants <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On 16 Jul 2004 10:19:55 GMT, Norbert Lieckfeldt
> <nl@stammering.spamtrap.org> wrote:
>

> Can you scan for available wireless networks? Is yours listed as
> available? Are there any others broadcasting on the same (or similar)
> channel number? Is there any security on the network?

No, couldn't do any of these things. A call to Netgear support confirmed
that the access point was defect. They sent a replacement (for a £20
charge, otherwise it would have been at least five working days) and I
plugged it in and it worked. Out of the box.

Norbert

On 21 Jul 2004 08:27:25 GMT, Norbert Lieckfeldt
<nl@stammering.spamtrap.org> wrote:

>Simon Pleasants <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On 16 Jul 2004 10:19:55 GMT, Norbert Lieckfeldt
>> <nl@stammering.spamtrap.org> wrote:
>
>> Can you scan for available wireless networks? Is yours listed as
>> available? Are there any others broadcasting on the same (or similar)
>> channel number? Is there any security on the network?
>
>No, couldn't do any of these things. A call to Netgear support confirmed
>that the access point was defect. They sent a replacement (for a £20
>charge, otherwise it would have been at least five working days) and I
>plugged it in and it worked. Out of the box.

Glad to hear that it's all working now - although £20 seems bit mean!
Could you not have replaced the unit through the retailer?