IE 6 sp2 - restrictions

I have set up my log in as the 'computer administrator' with another log in
as 'limited'. When I try to asccess 'Internet Options' from IE6 I get a
'Restrictions' message saying that I do not have sufficient authroority to
access and change details. However, when in the other log in I am allowed to
access inetrnet options.

In addition my default page is 'greyed' out as google.co.uk; whiol;st this
is not a problem I would like the access to change if I need to.

I have contacted the supplier of the PC but all they can say is that I must
have a virus; I have checked and do not have a virus, as far as the software
can see, or that I should instal a new log in name and delete the old!!.

How can I remove this restriction frokm my 'computer administration' account.

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Fix Internet Options Restriction. Run the referenced script from the affected account.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"BarryD" <BarryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A86276-0B85-40CA-AE4E-BFC2EEEB2A9C@microsoft.com...
>I have set up my log in as the 'computer administrator' with another log in
> as 'limited'. When I try to asccess 'Internet Options' from IE6 I get a
> 'Restrictions' message saying that I do not have sufficient authroority to
> access and change details. However, when in the other log in I am allowed to
> access inetrnet options.
>
> In addition my default page is 'greyed' out as google.co.uk; whiol;st this
> is not a problem I would like the access to change if I need to.
>
> I have contacted the supplier of the PC but all they can say is that I must
> have a virus; I have checked and do not have a virus, as far as the software
> can see, or that I should instal a new log in name and delete the old!!.
>
> How can I remove this restriction frokm my 'computer administration' account.

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the fix, your a star. However, how can I get authority over my
home page selection in IE options?

Barry

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Fix Internet Options Restriction. Run the referenced script from the affected account.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "BarryD" <BarryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A86276-0B85-40CA-AE4E-BFC2EEEB2A9C@microsoft.com...
> >I have set up my log in as the 'computer administrator' with another log in
> > as 'limited'. When I try to asccess 'Internet Options' from IE6 I get a
> > 'Restrictions' message saying that I do not have sufficient authroority to
> > access and change details. However, when in the other log in I am allowed to
> > access inetrnet options.
> >
> > In addition my default page is 'greyed' out as google.co.uk; whiol;st this
> > is not a problem I would like the access to change if I need to.
> >
> > I have contacted the supplier of the PC but all they can say is that I must
> > have a virus; I have checked and do not have a virus, as far as the software
> > can see, or that I should instal a new log in name and delete the old!!.
> >
> > How can I remove this restriction frokm my 'computer administration' account.

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

Look in the right pane for a value called HomePage. If it exists, it should be set to 0 (zero). If not, double click it and set it to 0. If the value doesn't exist, it shouldn't matter, but it doesn't hurt to create a new DWord value, naming it HomePage and leaving it set at 0.