8500DV windows, menus, balloons very sluggish with 5.6

Hi

I've just done a new install of Win XP Pro SP2 and installed the 5.6
catalyst drivers.

Much to my disappointment, I've found the display is very sluggish.

Menus are almost in slow motion, balloon/tool tips are very slow fading in
and out and moving windows around is full of jaggies.

And that's before I'm doing any useful with my PC!

I ran the optimise option within catalyst control panel but it hasn't made
any difference.

Also I ran DXDIAG and found that Direct 3D is unavailable. Is that normal
with the 5.6 or should I be able to run them?

FYI: My system is an AMD XP3000 Barton on MSI K7N2 Delta with 1Gb RAM

I had been using 5.3 on my previous install of XP Pro and the display seemed
much faster but I was getting frequent BSOD's and after submitting a Windows
error report it often blamed the Graphics Device Driver

Thanks for any info.

Ian
2 answers Last reply
More about 8500dv windows menus balloons sluggish

    Wasn't this a side-effect of VPU recover in some cases? Have you tried
    turning it off?

    HTH,
    Kendt

    <eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Wasn't this a side-effect of VPU recover in some cases? Have you tried
    > turning it off?
    >
    > HTH,
    > Kendt

    Thanks for that Kendt.

    I didnt even know what it was until I just did a google.

    I'll try switching it off and see how it goes.

    I'll let you know.

    Cheers

    Ian I^)

Radeon Graphics