Active X component register/unregister failure

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

One of our clients reported the following issue:

They have our application installed that uses a number of ActiveX COM
dlls written in VB 6.0. They used this app for some time without any
problems.

Few days ago they took a single machine from the one of the users and
gave it to another user. They decided to upgrade our software after
that, but now they can't normally install or uninstall any of our
software versions. MSI installer gives them number of 1904
errors(failed to unregister, which is not a fatal error by itself). I
tried to manually register/unregister our DLLs and get 0x80004005 error
all the time.

The user has admin rights to a local machine, we did a test and he was
able to register/unregister few Microsfot DLLs in System32 folder. I
checked permissions in Registry for CLASS_ROOT, LOCAL_MACHINE,
everything looks OK.

I thought about possibility that some dependencies are missing and
tested it on my developer machine: like unregistering MSVBVM60.dll and
trying to register our components. They register fine on my developer
machine.

Any clues?

Regards,

Michael

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

0x80004005 = Unspecified error The machine probably just needs a new image
put on it.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional