Problem in downloading from microsoft website

Whenever I try and download from the microsoft site I get the following
message:
[Error number: 0x800A0046]

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
click Custom Level.
3. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
4. Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
5. Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

However, when I check the settings they are correct. I have just updated my
Zone Alarm suite - could this be the problem?

Anyone any ideas?

--
Regards/Cofion
Dafydd

Windows Update Troubleshooter
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en

You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

The update is not completed successfully after you scan for updates
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836932

You cannot view updates on the Windows Update site using secure socket layer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326253

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dafydd" wrote:

| Whenever I try and download from the microsoft site I get the following
| message:
| [Error number: 0x800A0046]
|
| Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
| To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
| userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
| then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
| 1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
| 2. Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
| click Custom Level.
| 3. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
| 4. Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
| 5. Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
|
| However, when I check the settings they are correct. I have just updated my
| Zone Alarm suite - could this be the problem?
|
| Anyone any ideas?
|

| --
| Regards/Cofion
| Dafydd

One cure for error code 0x800A0046. This was on a Win2K SP4 system.
Posted by Randy, 8/1/2005 5:55 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=54ff544b-5b9b-436a-a653-e82ff647dc09&cat=en-us-technet-mgmt&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
> I went to the Local User Account settings and went to the 'Member Of'
> tab and noticed the account was a member of the following groups:
> Administrators, Backup Operators, Guests, Power Users, Replicator and Users.
> I removed everyone but 'Administrators' from this Local User Account.
> So I decided to restart the workstation and voila Windows Update worked
> again and let me download the updates from the site and it also automatically
> downloaded critcal updates.

If the above does not resolve the issue I suspect that the update to ZA
is the culprit. ZA Security Suite is dangerous if not handled by an
expert User. Suggest you attempt to contact ZA if the above resolution
does not help.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dafydd wrote:

> Whenever I try and download from the microsoft site I get the following
> message:
> [Error number: 0x800A0046]
>
> Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
> To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
> userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
> then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
> 1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 2. Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
> click Custom Level.
> 3. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> 4. Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
> 5. Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
>
> However, when I check the settings they are correct. I have just updated my
> Zone Alarm suite - could this be the problem?
>
> Anyone any ideas?

I've had this problem for monthes. The other user on the machine had no
problem downloading updates. Didn't even think to check the User
Accounts...DUH! Somehow my account was an Admin and a Guest account.?
Dropped the Guest and it works like a charm.
Thanks,
Stevens

http://tinyurl.com/b8779