I ran Spybot this morning and it alerted on the below listed items. Should I
have Spybot clean them or are they legitimate changes? I'm a little
suspicious because I haven't made any major setting changes to my computer
lately. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I use Norton
Anti-Virus. Thanks Mike

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Mike950 wrote:
> I ran Spybot this morning and it alerted on the below listed
> items. Should I have Spybot clean them or are they
> legitimate changes? I'm a little suspicious because I
> haven't made any major setting changes to my computer
> lately. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but
> I use Norton Anti-Virus. Thanks Mike
>

> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings
> (Registry change, nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings
> (Registry change, nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Recently the makers of Spybot S & D decided to
include a feature which would report if alerts that are
generated by the Windows Security Center have been disabled. A
number of antivirus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.) disable the
antivirus alert during installation. Unfortunately, some
spyware does that as well so an up-to-date version of Spybot
will report this behavior.

If you want to test this, do the following: run Spybot and have
it fix those two problems. Now restart your computer. At some
point during the startup process you may receive a message from
your AV program asking if you want it to stop Windows Security
center from monitoring your AV protection. Answer yes. Run
Spybot and you're going to see those errors showing up again.
If you right click on the errors in Spybot you can choose to
exclude them from future scans.

Here are a few threads from the Spybot forum which
discuss this issue:

Antivirus Is Off Alert, after the latest defs update
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=32300

Spybot Search And Destroy 1.4, Possible Problem or false
postivie
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=32260

Security Risks, Is this a false positive?
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=32257

Nepatsfan