my computer created its own password

I have a HP laptop running windows XP home edition.
There is only the one user and the account was not
password protected. After restarting my computer one
day, it now asks for a password. I have tried every
password that I have ever used in my life, and it is not
working. How can I access my files without this password?
Also, how does a computer make up its own, are there
ways around this? Help!
3 answers Last reply
More about computer created password

    "Jilynda" <Jilynda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a HP laptop running windows XP home edition.
    > There is only the one user and the account was not
    > password protected. After restarting my computer one
    > day, it now asks for a password. I have tried every
    > password that I have ever used in my life, and it is not
    > working. How can I access my files without this password?
    > Also, how does a computer make up its own, are there
    > ways around this? Help!

    Have you tried just hitting enter? Password is likely blank.

    Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
    disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
    operating system

    This can be a result of registry damage, sometimes caused by a hard disk
    problem. Try booting into safe mode and see if you can login using the
    original administrator account, which has a blank password unless you ever
    changed it. If this works reset the password for the user account. If it
    fails, try GreenieLeBrun's suggestion, but I suspect it may fail also.
    Windows will not change a password. A virus or Trojan conceivably might.
    --

    "Jilynda" <Jilynda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a HP laptop running windows XP home edition.
    > There is only the one user and the account was not
    > password protected. After restarting my computer one
    > day, it now asks for a password. I have tried every
    > password that I have ever used in my life, and it is not
    > working. How can I access my files without this password?
    > Also, how does a computer make up its own, are there
    > ways around this? Help!

Microsoft Security Computers HP Laptop Windows XP