ATI 9800Pro s/w upgrade

I'm just building a new PC etc with an ATI 9800Pro graphics card.

The CD that comes with the card says it's v5.3 (I guess this is the
Catalyst Control Centre ver) but I know this isn't the latest version.
I only want to install the Control Panel and drivers after lurking on
this NG and reading the advice; so my question is:

Q, should I install v5.3 on the CD first and then d/l the v5.7 upgrade
and install it -or- would I be better off installing the v5.7 from the
start?

Q, If I install v5.3 and then upgrade, do I have to uninstall v5.3
*before* installing v5.7 or does it install over the top?

Thanks for any guidance on this...

fisher

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:24:54 +0100, hummingbird
<VXWXCUWNJXAB@spammotel.com> wrote:

>I'm just building a new PC etc with an ATI 9800Pro graphics card.
>
>The CD that comes with the card says it's v5.3 (I guess this is the
>Catalyst Control Centre ver) but I know this isn't the latest version.
>I only want to install the Control Panel and drivers after lurking on
>this NG and reading the advice; so my question is:
>
>Q, should I install v5.3 on the CD first and then d/l the v5.7 upgrade
>and install it -or- would I be better off installing the v5.7 from the
>start?
>
>Q, If I install v5.3 and then upgrade, do I have to uninstall v5.3
>*before* installing v5.7 or does it install over the top?
>
>Thanks for any guidance on this...

Just install 5.7 from the start. When I update ATI drivers I always
run the CAT uninstaller available from the ATI website then install
the newer drivers. That way I always get a good clean install with no
issues. Some people install over the top of older drivers and are
usually ok doing that but I did that once and got a screwed up driver
install so I now always do a clean install by running the CAT
uninstaller first. The CAT uninstaller makes it really simple to do
too. If you just install straight to CAT 5.7 you won't have to do that
though.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:39:12 GMT, Fisher <fisher@no_email.here>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:24:54 +0100, hummingbird
><VXWXCUWNJXAB@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm just building a new PC etc with an ATI 9800Pro graphics card.
>>
>>The CD that comes with the card says it's v5.3 (I guess this is the
>>Catalyst Control Centre ver) but I know this isn't the latest version.
>>I only want to install the Control Panel and drivers after lurking on
>>this NG and reading the advice; so my question is:
>>
>>Q, should I install v5.3 on the CD first and then d/l the v5.7 upgrade
>>and install it -or- would I be better off installing the v5.7 from the
>>start?
>>
>>Q, If I install v5.3 and then upgrade, do I have to uninstall v5.3
>>*before* installing v5.7 or does it install over the top?
>>
>>Thanks for any guidance on this...
>
>Just install 5.7 from the start. When I update ATI drivers I always
>run the CAT uninstaller available from the ATI website then install
>the newer drivers. That way I always get a good clean install with no
>issues. Some people install over the top of older drivers and are
>usually ok doing that but I did that once and got a screwed up driver
>install so I now always do a clean install by running the CAT
>uninstaller first. The CAT uninstaller makes it really simple to do
>too. If you just install straight to CAT 5.7 you won't have to do that
>though.

Thanks for the guidance. That's what I'm going to try to do.
I've also d/l a copy of the CAT uninstaller just in case... ;-)