Lose of hard drive space

In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am losing
a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I have
done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other problem.
I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.
6 answers Last reply
More about lose hard drive space

    How much space have you allocated for restore points??
    check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
    your HD and then settings.
    peterk

    the problem
    "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
    > losing
    > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
    > have
    > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    > problem.
    > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

    That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
    high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for your
    help.
    Bob

    "peterk" wrote:

    > How much space have you allocated for restore points??
    > check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
    > your HD and then settings.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
    > > losing
    > > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
    > > have
    > > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    > > problem.
    > > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

    That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
    high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for your
    help.
    Bob G.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > How much space have you allocated for restore points??
    > check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
    > your HD and then settings.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
    > > losing
    > > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
    > > have
    > > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    > > problem.
    > > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

    right click your HD under explorer
    properties............disk cleanup.............more options
    system restore......cleanup
    this cleans out ALL restore points except the last one.

    > That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
    > high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for
    > your
    > help.
    > Bob G.
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> How much space have you allocated for restore points??
    >> check under right click MY computer/properties/system
    >> restore........click
    >> your HD and then settings.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    >> about
    >> the problem
    >> "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
    >> > losing
    >> > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
    >> > have
    >> > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    >> > problem.
    >> > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

    Sounds very much like a security threat to me...make sure you have
    updated virus definitions, as well as, spyware search and destroy
    definitions and do a deel system scan...if you are running windows
    2000...go to the microsoft security site and look for information on
    the new virus that is around in the past several days

    gets wrote:
    > *In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I
    > am losing
    > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection.
    > I have
    > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    > problem.
    > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days. *

    --
    astephenhowell

    hmm...seems to me that there may be a few suggestions to every
    problem...some routes of action may be easier to take than others, but
    everything needs to be looked at
    gets wrote:
    > *In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I
    > am losing
    > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection.
    > I have
    > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
    > problem.
    > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days. *

    --
    astephenhowell

Virus Hard Drives Windows XP