  • Virus
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
August 11, 2005 10:19:12 PM

In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am losing
a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I have
done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other problem.
I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

More about : lose hard drive space

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:43:45 AM

How much space have you allocated for restore points??
check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
your HD and then settings.
peterk

the problem
"gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D DB6CC23-CAB4-44EC-B35A-6DAB5EAD78AC@microsoft.com...
> In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
> losing
> a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
> have
> done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
> problem.
> I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:47:02 AM

That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for your
help.
Bob

"peterk" wrote:

> How much space have you allocated for restore points??
> check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
> your HD and then settings.
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D DB6CC23-CAB4-44EC-B35A-6DAB5EAD78AC@microsoft.com...
> > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
> > losing
> > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
> > have
> > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
> > problem.
> > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

August 12, 2005 8:47:03 AM

That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for your
help.
Bob G.

"peterk" wrote:

> How much space have you allocated for restore points??
> check under right click MY computer/properties/system restore........click
> your HD and then settings.
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D DB6CC23-CAB4-44EC-B35A-6DAB5EAD78AC@microsoft.com...
> > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
> > losing
> > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
> > have
> > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
> > problem.
> > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:08:12 AM

right click your HD under explorer
properties............disk cleanup.............more options
system restore......cleanup
this cleans out ALL restore points except the last one.

> That may have been it. It was set to max. I don't know how it got set that
> high. Is there anyway to get back my space I lost? Thanks "petrek" for
> your
> help.
> Bob G.
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> How much space have you allocated for restore points??
>> check under right click MY computer/properties/system
>> restore........click
>> your HD and then settings.
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about
>> the problem
>> "gets" <gets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D DB6CC23-CAB4-44EC-B35A-6DAB5EAD78AC@microsoft.com...
>> > In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I am
>> > losing
>> > a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection. I
>> > have
>> > done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
>> > problem.
>> > I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:51:45 PM

Sounds very much like a security threat to me...make sure you have
updated virus definitions, as well as, spyware search and destroy
definitions and do a deel system scan...if you are running windows
2000...go to the microsoft security site and look for information on
the new virus that is around in the past several days

gets wrote:
> *In the past week I have noticed that every time I start my system I
> am losing
> a .5 GB of space on my hard drive. I use Norton for virus protection.
> I have
> done a chkdsk with no avail. Scans show no worms, virus or any other
> problem.
> I have gone from 65 GB to 55 GB in two days. *

--
astephenhowell
August 22, 2005 11:45:44 PM

hmm...seems to me that there may be a few suggestions to every
problem...some routes of action may be easier to take than others, but
everything needs to be looked at