A Few Q's About WinXP Encrypted File System

I was wondering, in WinXP Pro, if I encrypted a folder on my NTFS drive and
then exported my key and deleted the original. I cannot access it anymore.
However if I import the key again, I will be able to access it again. My
question is however, is what happens after I make newer encryptions on other
folders after that? Does the certificate I imported previously in the
previous encryption get appended with the newer encryption key, or will
there be in the two certificates for my two different times of
encryption.... or is there only one certificate?

Malke

P.T. wrote:

> I was wondering, in WinXP Pro, if I encrypted a folder on my NTFS
> drive and then exported my key and deleted the original. I cannot
> access it anymore. However if I import the key again, I will be able
> to access it again. My question is however, is what happens after I
> make newer encryptions on other folders after that? Does the
> certificate I imported previously in the previous encryption get
> appended with the newer encryption key, or will there be in the two
> certificates for my two different times of encryption.... or is there
> only one certificate?

http://tinyurl.com/6l6xx - MS information about EFS (Encryption)
http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html - Encrypted files retrieval
application

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm - encryption info
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/ - more encryption
info
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm - making stuff private

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Interestesting read, Malke... Though some things Im still not quite sure
about - the guide shows how to enabled 3DES via mmc, but how do we enable
AES for the EFS system? Also, my original question is not fully answered.
Given the fact that every new encryption event triggers a new encryption
key, if I encrypt my files in multiple sessions, will my Certificate be
appended on after every session, or will there be multiple certificates for
each session?

> P.T. wrote:
>
>> I was wondering, in WinXP Pro, if I encrypted a folder on my NTFS
>> drive and then exported my key and deleted the original. I cannot
>> access it anymore. However if I import the key again, I will be able
>> to access it again. My question is however, is what happens after I
>> make newer encryptions on other folders after that? Does the
>> certificate I imported previously in the previous encryption get
>> appended with the newer encryption key, or will there be in the two
>> certificates for my two different times of encryption.... or is there
>> only one certificate?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6l6xx - MS information about EFS (Encryption)
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html - Encrypted files retrieval
> application
>
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm - encryption info
> http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/ - more encryption
> info
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm - making stuff private
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

P.T. wrote:

> Interestesting read, Malke... Though some things Im still not quite
> sure about - the guide shows how to enabled 3DES via mmc, but how do
> we enable AES for the EFS system? Also, my original question is not
> fully answered.
> Given the fact that every new encryption event triggers a new
> encryption key, if I encrypt my files in multiple sessions, will my
> Certificate be appended on after every session, or will there be
> multiple certificates for each session?

I'm sorry those sites didn't answer your question. I can't either since
I don't use XP's encryption, which is often called "the delayed Recycle
Bin". Maybe you'll get an answer from one of the encryption experts on
this group (not me). In the meantime, I have some notes from MVP
Torgeir Bakken as to what his company uses and recommends:

Some alternatives if you really want to encrypt the data:

SafeGuard PrivateDisk
http://www.utimaco.com/indexmain.html

(Torgeir is using their "SafeGuard Easy" product for local hard disk
encryption on all laptops, and is very satisfied with the product).

More on encryption from Torgeir: A friend of mine has tested a free
product called TrueCrypt to encrypt data on USB sticks, and he was very
satisfied.

TrueCrypt
http://www.truecrypt.org/

The BestCrypt product found at http://www.jetico.com/ also looks
interesting. Just be sure to export any encryption keys and save them
in a safe place (outside your computer).

Sorry I wasn't able to answer your questions.

Malke