problems after downloading 12 Aug 05 updates

I downloaded and installed the latest up dates from Microsoft, succesfully
according to the results screen, then restarted the machine as instructed.
Now my destop shortcuts will not work, I can open the control panel but
trying to select a catagory in the control panel or even going right to an
..exe such as internet explorer return an error that no program is associated
with it and that I need to make a change in the file association in the
folder options.

Has anyone else run into this, if so, what had to be done to correct it? I
have tried to get to the add remove programs to take out the new update but
so far I keep getting errors about file association.
2 answers Last reply
More about problems downloading updates

    srw51623,
    Try WU again. Seems like there were corrupted files in the download for
    IE6.
    'MS Corrects IE Patch Download Glitch '
    (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1846882,00.asp)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    dropdeadfred,
    I have three PC's in this room. Two running SP2, and this one running
    SP1.
    Seems like notebooks have the hardest time with SP2 updates. The reason
    I say that is that notebooks are the hardest to upgrade, and the fastest
    to drop out of software/driver support.
    So the laptop is the first to get the updates. If it continues to
    function, then my SFF computer get's updated next.
    This computer just puked on SP2, but it runs all the updates except
    SP2.
    (Perfnet & Dcom errors, Firewire & DV camera quit working, external H.
    drive got "delayed write failures, just for starters.)
    Tier level 5, SP2 tech support from "Larry" in India was a joke. So
    this computer will remain SP1 until these issues are fixed.
    Folks with only one computer are at the mercy of these patches. My
    advice would be to set a restore point before installing any updates,
    and/or wait a week to see how other people's experiences with the
    updates went.
    Sorry to hear about your read/write problem. Check with your Rom
    burning software updates web site. In-Cd has the most problems posted.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

Control Panel Microsoft File Association Windows XP