TV-out problem on Toshiba laptop

Hi everyone,

i have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Mobility Radeon graphics chip
and i'm having trouble getting the TV-out to work. I have an s-vhs cable
from the laptop into my TV via a SCART adapter but the picture is in
black and white. i've played around with the ati settings to no avail.
also, when i play video files, they don't appear on the TV - only on the
laptop screen. Is it likely to be a problem with the laptop, the
cable/adapter, or the TV? the TV is a cheap one but it does connect OK
via SCART to my digibox and DVD player. the cable is also cheap but I
would have thought it would be OK. any help appreciated!

thanks

neil
8 answers Last reply
More about problem toshiba laptop

    andmoreagain kirjoitti:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > i have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Mobility Radeon graphics chip
    > and i'm having trouble getting the TV-out to work. I have an s-vhs cable
    > from the laptop into my TV via a SCART adapter but the picture is in
    > black and white. i've played around with the ati settings to no avail.
    > also, when i play video files, they don't appear on the TV - only on the
    > laptop screen. Is it likely to be a problem with the laptop, the
    > cable/adapter, or the TV? the TV is a cheap one but it does connect OK
    > via SCART to my digibox and DVD player. the cable is also cheap but I
    > would have thought it would be OK. any help appreciated!
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > neil

    Your TV most likely does not support s-video. You can connect an s-video
    cable via scart, but it won't work if the TV doesn't support it. The
    picture will be black and white since the TV isn't capable of receiving
    separate chrominance (colors) and luminance (brigthness) signals (which
    is what is carried via s-video). Only the luminance part is shown, hence
    b&w.

    There might be an option somewhere in Mobility Radeon TV-out settings to
    change the tv-out signal to COMPOSITE. You'd still use the same exact
    cables you do now (the s-video) but the signal carried would hold both
    color and brightness information on the same pin.

    If not, you could try to find an S-Video to Composite adapter on a local
    electronics shop. It shouldn't cost too much.

    vellu wrote:
    > Your TV most likely does not support s-video. You can connect an s-video
    > cable via scart, but it won't work if the TV doesn't support it. The
    > picture will be black and white since the TV isn't capable of receiving
    > separate chrominance (colors) and luminance (brigthness) signals (which
    > is what is carried via s-video). Only the luminance part is shown, hence
    > b&w.

    that sounds likely. its a cheap-o tv - it only has one scart input and
    no actual s-video input. i'll try looking for an s-video > composite
    adapter. thanks for your help

    vellu wrote:

    > If not, you could try to find an S-Video to Composite adapter on a local
    > electronics shop. It shouldn't cost too much.

    one last question, if the TV doesn't support s-vhs, will an adapter make
    any difference? i mean, won't the signal still be the same however it
    plugs into the TV - it will still be an s-vhs signal, not a composite one?

    neil

    vellu kirjoitti:
    > andmoreagain kirjoitti:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> i have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Mobility Radeon graphics chip
    >> and i'm having trouble getting the TV-out to work. I have an s-vhs
    >> cable from the laptop into my TV via a SCART adapter but the picture
    >> is in black and white. i've played around with the ati settings to no
    >> avail. also, when i play video files, they don't appear on the TV -
    >> only on the laptop screen. Is it likely to be a problem with the
    >> laptop, the cable/adapter, or the TV? the TV is a cheap one but it
    >> does connect OK via SCART to my digibox and DVD player. the cable is
    >> also cheap but I would have thought it would be OK. any help appreciated!
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> neil
    >

    > Your TV most likely does not support s-video. You can connect an s-video
    > cable via scart, but it won't work if the TV doesn't support it. The
    > picture will be black and white since the TV isn't capable of receiving
    > separate chrominance (colors) and luminance (brigthness) signals (which
    > is what is carried via s-video). Only the luminance part is shown, hence
    > b&w.
    >
    > There might be an option somewhere in Mobility Radeon TV-out settings to
    > change the tv-out signal to COMPOSITE. You'd still use the same exact
    > cables you do now (the s-video) but the signal carried would hold both
    > color and brightness information on the same pin.
    >
    > If not, you could try to find an S-Video to Composite adapter on a local
    > electronics shop. It shouldn't cost too much.

    PS. Do you have different AV channels on your TV set? For example, my TV
    set has two SCART slots and corresponding two AV channels AV1 and AV2.
    But only slot number two supports s-video, and even then I need to
    select a third AV channel AV2-S to get a color picture (at the same time
    channel AV2 shows a b&w image).

    andmoreagain kirjoitti:
    > vellu wrote:
    >
    >> If not, you could try to find an S-Video to Composite adapter on a
    >> local electronics shop. It shouldn't cost too much.
    >

    > one last question, if the TV doesn't support s-vhs, will an adapter make
    > any difference? i mean, won't the signal still be the same however it
    > plugs into the TV - it will still be an s-vhs signal, not a composite one?
    >
    > neil

    Well, I guess I should've said S-video to Composite CONVERTER... It
    should be short cable with an S-video plug in one end and and an RCA
    plug in the other, and some dongle in between.
  6. Hi there,

    I have a Thomson 21mg17e TV and want to connect it over a S-Video output of my Toshiba Satellite laptop (ATI graphics) to the SCART outlet. However, all the effort was without success. What could be the reason for getting only blue screen on the TV, and not being able to find the TV among the options in the laptop ?

    Thanks in advance !
  7. TomBo00 said:
    Hi there,

    I have a Thomson 21mg17e TV and want to connect it over a S-Video output of my Toshiba Satellite laptop (ATI graphics) to the SCART outlet. However, all the effort was without success. What could be the reason for getting only blue screen on the TV, and not being able to find the TV among the options in the laptop ?

    Thanks in advance !

    :non:
    Create your own thread and stop hijacking this one, and thenmaybe you ca get some answers! :pfff: :pfff:
  8. Starges said:
    :non:
    Create your own thread and stop hijacking this one, and thenmaybe you ca get some answers! :pfff: :pfff:

    Hijacking a thread :o ... you are funny.

    The thread is about Toshiba Satellite and ATI ...

Radeon TV Laptops Toshiba Graphics