Cannot set permissions on a folder

I want to set permissions on a folder so that my son does not get in. I
right click on the folder and go to sharing. However, the box to make it
private is greyed out.
I have three drives on therre and get the same problem with all three. The
folder is on a different drive to my user account. I thought it might be
because the folder and the account were on different drives but it doesn't
seem to be. I can't put the folder onto my C drive as there is no more room
left on it.
Can anyone help?
I am running XP Professional and not Home.

Are both you and your son using the same computer? If so, I am assuming that
you each have your own user accounts. Again following this assumtion,
navigate to the folder you want to assign specific permissions to, right
click on it and select properties. Then click the Security tab. Make sure
your user account is listed with full control on the folder and its contents.
If the Everyone special group is listed and has permissions to the folder,
remove it and any other accounts (aside from yours!). That should take care
of it. The sharing tab will allow you to set share level security on a
folder that is shared on the network.

-D

"Johnles" wrote:

> I want to set permissions on a folder so that my son does not get in. I
> right click on the folder and go to sharing. However, the box to make it
> private is greyed out.
> I have three drives on therre and get the same problem with all three. The
> folder is on a different drive to my user account. I thought it might be
> because the folder and the account were on different drives but it doesn't
> seem to be. I can't put the folder onto my C drive as there is no more room
> left on it.
> Can anyone help?
> I am running XP Professional and not Home.

TRENDING THREADS