Its not really needed to update , Is it ?

Peace

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Hi ... I have the ATI Radeon 9800 pro (128) video card and I am not using
the latest driver for it , Reason as to why I am not is because with the
driver I have now I notice the graphics is much richer , the colors are more
deeper if that make any sense , Now I did try out the latest driver but I
find it not to my liken , My question is , Is it wise to always being using
the latest driver ? Or can I just use the one that I perfer instead ? Also I
believe the driver that I am using is just 8 months old and the catalyst
control center program is working great too ., Where as to the newest one it
doesn't work , I would like to hear your advise as to this matter , thanks

"Peace" <spreadtheloce@heaven.com> wrote in message
> Hi ... I have the ATI Radeon 9800 pro (128) video card and I am not using
> the latest driver for it , Reason as to why I am not is because with the
> driver I have now I notice the graphics is much richer , the colors are
> more
> deeper if that make any sense , Now I did try out the latest driver but I
> find it not to my liken , My question is , Is it wise to always being
> using
> the latest driver ? Or can I just use the one that I perfer instead ? Also
> believe the driver that I am using is just 8 months old and the catalyst
> control center program is working great too ., Where as to the newest one
> it
> doesn't work , I would like to hear your advise as to this matter , thanks

People's mileage always seems to vary, but I will say that the Catalyst
5.6's made for some small but nice improvements on my built by ATI Radeon
9800 Pro. I have not tried the 5.7's, but not for any particular reason
other than lack of need. I've owned my 9800 Pro for two solid years now and
have never been disappointed with a driver set for it. But please note that
I'm using the regular Control Panel and not the Catalyst Control Center.
I've heard that the CCC continues to improve, but I'm going to avoid it for
as long as possible.

Sometimes a recent driver set is needed, if not required, for some newer
games to run. The thing that impresses me about ATI is that they seem
committed to also improving the performance of previous products rather than
just their latest product line. But hopefully the CCC doesn't get rammed
down our collective throats just yet. If that happens, and if I don't like
how it behaves, it's very possible that I may cross over back to nVidia on
my next build next year. I don't want to do that partly since I remember
quite distinctly how nVidia behaved when ATI released their 9700 Pro, but I
would not rule anything out. Things are too speculative at this point.

Use the driver that gives the best overall functioning and features for your
given older video card.

--
DaveW

"Peace" <spreadtheloce@heaven.com> wrote in message
> Hi ... I have the ATI Radeon 9800 pro (128) video card and I am not using
> the latest driver for it , Reason as to why I am not is because with the
> driver I have now I notice the graphics is much richer , the colors are
> more
> deeper if that make any sense , Now I did try out the latest driver but I
> find it not to my liken , My question is , Is it wise to always being
> using
> the latest driver ? Or can I just use the one that I perfer instead ? Also
> believe the driver that I am using is just 8 months old and the catalyst
> control center program is working great too ., Where as to the newest one
> it
> doesn't work , I would like to hear your advise as to this matter , thanks

Peace

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Hi ... Thanks for your reply ... I notice when I try out just the regular
Control Panel driver my screen resolution is always set at its max ( 1280 by
1024 ) which is kind of strange when I should be able to set it much higher
but that is the highest it goes , why is that ? I have a 19 inch LCD flat
panel screen

PS: I am using IE 6 and notice this screen resolution under the Display
Properties under the "Setting " tab

> Hi ... Thanks for your reply ... I notice when I try out just the regular
> Control Panel driver my screen resolution is always set at its max ( 1280
> by 1024 ) which is kind of strange when I should be able to set it much
> higher but that is the highest it goes , why is that ? I have a 19 inch
> LCD flat panel screen
>
> PS: I am using IE 6 and notice this screen resolution under the Display
> Properties under the "Setting " tab

Most 19" LCD's have a native resolution of 1280x1024 and this, of course, is
also their maximum resolution. You should check the manual to your LCD to
confirm your native resolution, but I'd be very surprised if it was anything
higher. Even if your video card is capable of going higher than that (which
it certainly is), the limitation is your display.

Peace

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Your right about my LCD Monitor but , That part I knew already , My
question is why with just using the Control Panel driver I do not have the
option to go higher then 1280 by 1024 but with the CCC software and driver I
am able to go as high as 2048 by 1536 pixels , Why doesn't the regular
control panel driver have the same options ? Thanks

> Your right about my LCD Monitor but , That part I knew already , My
> question is why with just using the Control Panel driver I do not have the
> option to go higher then 1280 by 1024 but with the CCC software and driver
> I am able to go as high as 2048 by 1536 pixels , Why doesn't the regular
> control panel driver have the same options ? Thanks

That's a good question, one I should leave to someone who knows more.

geoff

"Peace" <spreadtheloce@heaven.com> wrote in message
> Your right about my LCD Monitor but , That part I knew
> already , My question is why with just using the Control
> Panel driver I do not have the option to go higher then
> 1280 by 1024 but with the CCC software and driver I am
> able to go as high as 2048 by 1536 pixels , Why doesn't the regular
> control panel driver have the same options ?
> Thanks

your monitor driver details what resolutions your monitor can display, and
as such thats what limits it
if it#'s limited, it prob means it's working properly, if you don't like it
just play with monitor driver

Try playing B-i-A, HL2, Doom3, etc using older drivers. They don't
work, e.g., night vision goggles in Splinter Cell: CT only work with
the later drivers. If you play a game that has problems you should try
updating, otherwise, if the drivers you are using work for you, don't
upgrade. As far as I can tell, most ATI monthly updates are geared
towards optimization for specific games and aren't necessary unless you
play those games...

TV capture has only worked for me using the 2 yr old drivers! I did
try a program (GameXP.exe) which purports to reset the startup
configuration to only the processes necessary for the best gaming
experience. TV capture ran much longer with its' settings and I
haven't evaluated just what the program turns off. What I really need
is a program to trace the processes running during capture to see what
events occur when capture is trashed. Again, Event Viewer show
nothing.

Thanks for the reply, Bill

jk

You may have the box titled "Show only compatible resolutions" ticked.
Untick that box and it will give you all the resolutions that your video
card is capable of.

JK

"Peace" <spreadtheloce@heaven.com> wrote in message
> Your right about my LCD Monitor but , That part I knew already , My
> question is why with just using the Control Panel driver I do not have the
> option to go higher then 1280 by 1024 but with the CCC software and driver
> I am able to go as high as 2048 by 1536 pixels , Why doesn't the regular
> control panel driver have the same options ? Thanks
>
> "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> "Peace" <spreadtheloce@heaven.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ... Thanks for your reply ... I notice when I try out just the
>>> regular Control Panel driver my screen resolution is always set at its
>>> max ( 1280 by 1024 ) which is kind of strange when I should be able to
>>> set it much higher but that is the highest it goes , why is that ? I
>>> have a 19 inch LCD flat panel screen
>>>
>>> PS: I am using IE 6 and notice this screen resolution under the Display
>>> Properties under the "Setting " tab
>>>

>> Most 19" LCD's have a native resolution of 1280x1024 and this, of course,
>> is also their maximum resolution. You should check the manual to your
>> LCD to confirm your native resolution, but I'd be very surprised if it
>> was anything higher. Even if your video card is capable of going higher
>> than that (which it certainly is), the limitation is your display.

Peace

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Hi JK ... Could you explain as where this option is found ? Because I can't
seem to locate this option , Thanks