possible bug/flaw in windows xp home edition

as unlikely as it maybe to want to do this. If you like keeping all your
important files/folders in my documents then when you may need to reinstall
windows for what ever reason (bloated registry or something) then you copy my
documents and place a copy of it on another partition.

reinstall windows xp HOME (i assume this is not an issue with pro)

map "my documents" to another folder (the one on your other partition) when
you reinstall again windows wont remove all your important files and your all
ready to go again.

Unfortunately the access permissions get fubar and even as an administrator
in safe mode windows still tells you "access denied" when you try to change
the privileges on random files. This is especially ture for my pictures
which i no longer even have read access for.

if you reinstall windows again now, it will carry the mistake across in the
files and yet again you can not access or change harmless pictures and mp3
files.

After some research I believe this problem may to be a with inherited access
privileges from higher up the file tree. However... being the home edition
and not the pro edition inherency can not be changed using the file ->
properties -> security tab as one does not exsist

Anybody got any ideas of possible command lines that may solve the problem
or if anyone else has suffered and possibly resolved something similar?

Thanks

Froggy

Froggy wrote:
> as unlikely as it maybe to want to do this. If you like keeping all
> your important files/folders in my documents then when you may need
> to reinstall windows for what ever reason (bloated registry or
> something) then you copy my documents and place a copy of it on
> another partition.
>
> reinstall windows xp HOME (i assume this is not an issue with pro)
>
> map "my documents" to another folder (the one on your other
> partition) when you reinstall again windows wont remove all your
> important files and your all ready to go again.
>
> Unfortunately the access permissions get fubar and even as an
> administrator in safe mode windows still tells you "access denied"
> when you try to change the privileges on random files. This is
> especially ture for my pictures which i no longer even have read
> access for.
>
> if you reinstall windows again now, it will carry the mistake across
> in the files and yet again you can not access or change harmless
> pictures and mp3 files.
>
> After some research I believe this problem may to be a with inherited
> access privileges from higher up the file tree. However... being
> the home edition and not the pro edition inherency can not be changed
> using the file -> properties -> security tab as one does not exsist
>
> Anybody got any ideas of possible command lines that may solve the
> problem or if anyone else has suffered and possibly resolved
> something similar?

Very well worded.
Should have searched the groups/googled with those words. *grin*

(As long as EFS is not involved - and with Windows XP Home, it is not.)

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Very well worded.
> Should have searched the groups/googled with those words. *grin*
>
> (As long as EFS is not involved - and with Windows XP Home, it is
> not.)
> How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
>
> How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
> on a shared folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

And since you missed it in your research before - the first article I gave
makes a point directed at those in the situation like yourself:

" Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab. "

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks for you reply stanley even if it was abit cheeky :)

With regards to the security tab that I said does not exsist except for in
the XP professional version, you gave me a link for a page telling you how to
turn off simple file sharing and thus get the security tab to appear for
files.

If you refer to the introduction on this page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

You will see this note

"Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition."

Thus there is no security tab to change the permissions. This is why I
believe this to be a bug. I have tried logging in as an administrator and
using the attrib command from prompt but all I get is access denied or not
changing hidden file etc etc etc.

Got any more suggestions or possible ways I could get around it?
....get xp pro? :)

Thanks

Alex

Malke

Froggy wrote:

> Thanks for you reply stanley even if it was abit cheeky :)
>
> With regards to the security tab that I said does not exsist except
> for in the XP professional version, you gave me a link for a page
> telling you how to turn off simple file sharing and thus get the
> security tab to appear for files.
>
> If you refer to the introduction on this page
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
>
> You will see this note
>
> "Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition."
>
> Thus there is no security tab to change the permissions. This is why
> believe this to be a bug. I have tried logging in as an administrator
> and using the attrib command from prompt but all I get is access
> denied or not changing hidden file etc etc etc.
>
> Got any more suggestions or possible ways I could get around it?
> ...get xp pro? :)

It is not a bug. XP Home is designed to only use simple sharing. Whether
you like it or not is another issue. Mr. Stanley told you how to access
the security tab in XP Home - by going into Safe Mode and logging into
an account with administrator privileges.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke

I think that you may have Shenan's gender wrong.. I always understood that
Shenan was a girl's name.. even in Australia, it is a girl's name.. lol..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Froggy wrote:
>
>> Thanks for you reply stanley even if it was abit cheeky :)
>>
>> With regards to the security tab that I said does not exsist except
>> for in the XP professional version, you gave me a link for a page
>> telling you how to turn off simple file sharing and thus get the
>> security tab to appear for files.
>>
>> If you refer to the introduction on this page
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
>>
>> You will see this note
>>
>> "Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP
>> Home Edition."
>>
>> Thus there is no security tab to change the permissions. This is why
>> believe this to be a bug. I have tried logging in as an administrator
>> and using the attrib command from prompt but all I get is access
>> denied or not changing hidden file etc etc etc.
>>
>> Got any more suggestions or possible ways I could get around it?
>> ...get xp pro? :)
>
> It is not a bug. XP Home is designed to only use simple sharing. Whether
> you like it or not is another issue. Mr. Stanley told you how to access
> the security tab in XP Home - by going into Safe Mode and logging into
> an account with administrator privileges.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Malke
>
> I think that you may have Shenan's gender wrong.. I always understood
> that Shenan was a girl's name.. even in Australia, it is a girl's
> name.. lol..

Ooh, I didn't know that. I've never heard the name before. I hope s/he
comes back into the thread and sets me straight!

Malke
--

Malke wrote:
> Ooh, I didn't know that. I've never heard the name before. I hope s/he
> comes back into the thread and sets me straight!

It would have been nice not to have been named after a location by biker
parents.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>> Ooh, I didn't know that. I've never heard the name before. I hope
>> s/he comes back into the thread and sets me straight!
>
> It would have been nice not to have been named after a location by
> biker parents.

Hey! I think your name is cool. What location? How do you pronounce your
name? And are you a grrl geek like me or a guy geek?

:)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Shenan

It could have been worse.. parents could so easily have been near Monument
Valley at the time..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User