hd sharing password

hi all,
in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How can i
have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?
Helio
2 answers Last reply
More about sharing password

    Helio wrote:
    > hi all,
    > in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How can i
    > have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?
    > Helio

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Helio wrote:
    > in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How
    > can i have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?

    You share your Windows XP Resources by Users or using "Simple File Sharing"
    on your network.

    You cannot "password protect" a single folder in Windows XP - you can
    however change the file/folder permissions on any file/folder so that only a
    certain user may access that folder and as long as there are not other
    administrative level users on the system - then that will hold strong. And
    adminstrative user, however, could merely take ownership and continue on
    with your data.

    In Windows XP Professional you also have Encrypted Files and Folders - but
    given the way you asked the question - it may be beyond what you need as
    well as possibly dangerous for you to consider. If you can learn about it
    and its dangers on your own, then you might try it.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and
    Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298399

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    --
    Shenan Stanley