hd sharing password

August 13, 2005 9:39:21 PM

hi all,
in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How can i
have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?
Helio

More about : sharing password

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 13, 2005 10:46:54 PM

Helio wrote:
> hi all,
> in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How can i
> have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?
> Helio

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 14, 2005 12:49:30 AM

Helio wrote:
> in my old win98se, i´d had a HD sharing by password protection, How
> can i have same password protected hd (or folder) in the XP pro ?

You share your Windows XP Resources by Users or using "Simple File Sharing"
on your network.

You cannot "password protect" a single folder in Windows XP - you can
however change the file/folder permissions on any file/folder so that only a
certain user may access that folder and as long as there are not other
administrative level users on the system - then that will hold strong. And
adminstrative user, however, could merely take ownership and continue on
with your data.

In Windows XP Professional you also have Encrypted Files and Folders - but
given the way you asked the question - it may be beyond what you need as
well as possibly dangerous for you to consider. If you can learn about it
and its dangers on your own, then you might try it.

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and
Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298399

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

--
Shenan Stanley