Closed

Frequent crashes, re-boots only in vALVE games?

I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
thoughts on the possible causes.
Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash can
be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the sound
for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to the
desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS. (Once ot
twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life or Team
Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1
motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam without any
effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing Half-Life 2
but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the time. Should
I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?

-Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
-AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
-512 MB Kingston DDR333
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
-Windows XP Professional SP2
-Enermax 350w power supply
-One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner
8 answers Last reply
More about frequent crashes boots valve games

    Sounds like you have something over-heating and then causing the pc to lock
    up. Try with the case open and a house fan blowing onto the motherboard and
    video card. Test your memory with Memtest86. Downclock the fsb to 266 and
    test. Maybe the PSU is over-stressed. Try with a better, higher wattage
    unit.

    DaveL

    "Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
    > thoughts on the possible causes.
    > Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an
    > Athlon
    > XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
    > from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
    > desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash
    > can be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the
    > sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to
    > the desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS.
    > (Once ot twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life
    > or Team Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the
    > SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam
    > without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing
    > Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the
    > time. Should I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?
    >
    > -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
    > -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
    > -512 MB Kingston DDR333
    > -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    > -Windows XP Professional SP2
    > -Enermax 350w power supply
    > -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

    Getting this problem also. Suspect leaky capacitors though, because a
    reformat didn't fix anything and my setup isn't that unusual....

    Civilian_Target

    Andrew K wrote:
    > I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
    > thoughts on the possible causes.
    > Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
    > XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
    > from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
    > desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash can
    > be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the sound
    > for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to the
    > desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS. (Once ot
    > twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life or Team
    > Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1
    > motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam without any
    > effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing Half-Life 2
    > but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the time. Should
    > I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?
    >
    > -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
    > -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
    > -512 MB Kingston DDR333
    > -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    > -Windows XP Professional SP2
    > -Enermax 350w power supply
    > -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

    Thanks, you probably saved me a re-format...ASUS here I come. (That's if the
    Sound Blaster card won't help. Steam's site mentions occasional problems
    related to on-board sound.)

    "Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Getting this problem also. Suspect leaky capacitors though, because a
    > reformat didn't fix anything and my setup isn't that unusual....
    >
    > Civilian_Target
    >
    > Andrew K wrote:
    >> I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
    >> thoughts on the possible causes.
    >> Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an
    >> Athlon
    >> XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in
    >> FSB
    >> from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
    >> desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash
    >> can be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the
    >> sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back
    >> to the desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of
    >> CS. (Once ot twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play
    >> Half-Life or Team Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I
    >> replaced the SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and
    >> reinstalled Steam without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in
    >> preparation of installing Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it
    >> is going to crash all of the time. Should I go to a PCI sound card
    >> instead of the on-board sound?
    >>
    >> -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
    >> -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
    >> -512 MB Kingston DDR333
    >> -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    >> -Windows XP Professional SP2
    >> -Enermax 350w power supply
    >> -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

  4. Half life 2 crashes are software based. I have a Radeon 9600 XT card and when i updated the drivers (sept 2008 version), the game started crashing. It was related to the resolution and details. With high resolution, i wasn't able to even start the game, my computer did a shutdown each time. In low resolutions (800X600), I was able to play for a few minutes with low details, but there was often a shutdown after a while. I uninstalled the new drivers, and reinstalled the drivers supplied with my install disc (2004 drivers!) and the game now runs fine at low or high resolutions, high or low details. I never had the crash since I installed the old drivers. I suspected the hardware, but in my case, it was 100% software based. NOTE: The old drivers only allow the directx 8.1 mode, which is fine anyway for my old hardware.
  5. My name is Grim, and I have come to take you, gariepyf to your grave!
  6. february 2009
    ATi updated the drivers for the Radeon 9600 XT to version 9.1

    I installed the new drivers and HL2 lost coast is running fine. No crash or problems whatever the set-up.
  7. I have same Problem. My day of defeat and css make my system shutdown. My Graphics card has the latest driver. pls help.. this morning i could played it. everything happened after i uninstalled Modernwarfar 2

Games Video Games