Frequent crashes, re-boots only in vALVE games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
thoughts on the possible causes.
Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash can
be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the sound
for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to the
desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS. (Once ot
twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life or Team
Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1
motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam without any
effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing Half-Life 2
but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the time. Should
I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?

-Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
-AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
-512 MB Kingston DDR333
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
-Windows XP Professional SP2
-Enermax 350w power supply
-One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Sounds like you have something over-heating and then causing the pc to lock
up. Try with the case open and a house fan blowing onto the motherboard and
video card. Test your memory with Memtest86. Downclock the fsb to 266 and
test. Maybe the PSU is over-stressed. Try with a better, higher wattage
unit.

DaveL

"Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
> thoughts on the possible causes.
> Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an
> Athlon
> XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
> from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
> desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash
> can be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the
> sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to
> the desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS.
> (Once ot twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life
> or Team Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the
> SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam
> without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing
> Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the
> time. Should I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?
>
> -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
> -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
> -512 MB Kingston DDR333
> -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
> -Windows XP Professional SP2
> -Enermax 350w power supply
> -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

Getting this problem also. Suspect leaky capacitors though, because a
reformat didn't fix anything and my setup isn't that unusual....

Civilian_Target

Andrew K wrote:
> I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
> thoughts on the possible causes.
> Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
> XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
> from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
> desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash can
> be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the sound
> for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back to the
> desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of CS. (Once ot
> twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play Half-Life or Team
> Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1
> motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and reinstalled Steam without any
> effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in preparation of installing Half-Life 2
> but now I not so sure I can if it is going to crash all of the time. Should
> I go to a PCI sound card instead of the on-board sound?
>
> -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
> -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
> -512 MB Kingston DDR333
> -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
> -Windows XP Professional SP2
> -Enermax 350w power supply
> -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

Thanks, you probably saved me a re-format...ASUS here I come. (That's if the
Sound Blaster card won't help. Steam's site mentions occasional problems
related to on-board sound.)

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Getting this problem also. Suspect leaky capacitors though, because a
> reformat didn't fix anything and my setup isn't that unusual....
>
> Civilian_Target
>
> Andrew K wrote:
>> I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
>> thoughts on the possible causes.
>> Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an
>> Athlon
>> XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in
>> FSB
>> from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
>> desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. The crash
>> can be described as a sudden freeze in action with a rapid looping of the
>> sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes blank and goes back
>> to the desktop. This happens every time at the beginning of a round of
>> CS. (Once ot twice I played for 4 to 5 minutes.) I am able to play
>> Half-Life or Team Fortress for ten minutes before a sudden re-boot. I
>> replaced the SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers and
>> reinstalled Steam without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in
>> preparation of installing Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it
>> is going to crash all of the time. Should I go to a PCI sound card
>> instead of the on-board sound?
>>
>> -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
>> -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
>> -512 MB Kingston DDR333
>> -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
>> -Windows XP Professional SP2
>> -Enermax 350w power supply
>> -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

gariepyf

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Half life 2 crashes are software based. I have a Radeon 9600 XT card and when i updated the drivers (sept 2008 version), the game started crashing. It was related to the resolution and details. With high resolution, i wasn't able to even start the game, my computer did a shutdown each time. In low resolutions (800X600), I was able to play for a few minutes with low details, but there was often a shutdown after a while. I uninstalled the new drivers, and reinstalled the drivers supplied with my install disc (2004 drivers!) and the game now runs fine at low or high resolutions, high or low details. I never had the crash since I installed the old drivers. I suspected the hardware, but in my case, it was 100% software based. NOTE: The old drivers only allow the directx 8.1 mode, which is fine anyway for my old hardware.

gariepyf

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
february 2009
ATi updated the drivers for the Radeon 9600 XT to version 9.1

I installed the new drivers and HL2 lost coast is running fine. No crash or problems whatever the set-up.

inazuma

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I have same Problem. My day of defeat and css make my system shutdown. My Graphics card has the latest driver. pls help.. this morning i could played it. everything happened after i uninstalled Modernwarfar 2