Your question
Closed

Facebook Builds Data Center Near Arctic Circle

Last response: in News comments
October 28, 2011 10:31:31 AM

Good for cooling, bad for latency.
Score
October 28, 2011 10:34:44 AM

Though latency and facebook together are not things that anyone cares about.

Having 100+ ping on farmville isn't that critical
Score
October 28, 2011 10:39:18 AM

I think Greenpeace meant that Facebook is a waste of resources period.
Score
October 28, 2011 10:45:09 AM

cool idea for icebook.
only if it could protect users from privacy leaks and malware better.

apple called, they patented the arctic circle datacenter idea.
Score
October 28, 2011 10:46:27 AM

2 years later: Greenpeace will protest against Facebook servers, because they doubled ice melting rate
Score
October 28, 2011 10:53:28 AM

de5_roycool idea for icebook.only if it could protect users from privacy leaks and malware better.apple called, they patented the arctic circle datacenter idea.

rofl :) 
Score
October 28, 2011 10:56:16 AM

Translation:
"Facebook will be constructing a gigantic datacenter in Lulea, Sweden, to store the private information that you have deleted"
Score
October 28, 2011 11:05:28 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is where the humans found the Predators while drilling a whole in the Artic Circle. Been awhile since I watch that movie. Just a side note to this artical :) 
Score
October 28, 2011 11:23:56 AM

officeguyCorrect me if I am wrong but I believe that is where the humans found the Predators while drilling a whole in the Artic Circle. Been awhile since I watch that movie. Just a side note to this artical

never watched it predators, but do you mean the thing?

that said

didnt Greenpeace get hijacked by anti corperate people and loose its origional meaning...

that also said, why not just build more nuclear power plants, take all of americas power cost down significantly, and make everyone but the most stupid of hippy happy.
Score
October 28, 2011 11:54:10 AM

It's hole, not whole. And it was the Antarctic, not north pole. You can easily remember this because the guy with the camera was upset he didn't get to photograph the "PoR" North pole doesn't have a point of no return. (assuming you mean AvP here.)

I too am surprised Greenpeace and others aren't upset about this. You would think it would increase melting rates. Should help with their electric bill however.
Score
October 28, 2011 12:04:47 PM

posteris2 years later: Greenpeace will protest against Facebook servers, because they doubled ice melting rate

And Facebook will bring down the some countries and continents under water...
Score
October 28, 2011 12:27:12 PM

Error 000: Your data request was terminated by an avalanche. There are no reported fixes for this bug. Please try again later.
Score
October 28, 2011 1:24:21 PM

Error 503: The server is unable to handle the request due to an avalanche or a permanent too-fucking-cold weather, please try again in your next life.
Score
October 28, 2011 1:31:47 PM

Correct spelling of the city, Luleå.

The bad, The Swedish government give 100 Million SEK , aprox €10-9 million to facebook for this. Could have been used elsewhere.

To those thinking that it will accelerate the melting rate. Luleå does not intersect the north pole i.e. there is no ice caps around Luleå, it is far far away. So no melting of the ice caps, only snow.

Latency: Dont be shitting me, Sweden have one of the best infrastructure when it comes to fiber optics and copper.
Score
October 28, 2011 2:32:51 PM

3ddraftError 000: Your data request was terminated by an avalanche. There are no reported fixes for this bug. Please try again later.

Avalanches on flat ground? That's a new one.
Score
Anonymous
October 28, 2011 2:46:20 PM

This will be finished in 2014? LOL. Facebook will be history in 2014. This data center will become a giant museum.
Score
October 28, 2011 3:09:38 PM

pojk3nLatency: Dont be shitting me, Sweden have one of the best infrastructure when it comes to fiber optics and copper.

It doesn't matter what infrastructure there is in Sweden, when we're talking about a trip from Europe to USA. The Transatlantic latency alone is ~80ms.
Score
October 28, 2011 3:50:00 PM

thaile4everIt doesn't matter what infrastructure there is in Sweden, when we're talking about a trip from Europe to USA. The Transatlantic latency alone is ~80ms.

If you're in the US it would most likely use a datacenter in the US. And it's not like 80ms is alot ^^.
Score
October 28, 2011 4:21:02 PM

greghomeHow long until some of them web giants decides to build one at the antarctic ?

Never, it would violate several international treaties.

4745454bIt's hole, not whole. And it was the Antarctic, not north pole. You can easily remember this because the guy with the camera was upset he didn't get to photograph the "PoR" North pole doesn't have a point of no return. (assuming you mean AvP here.)I too am surprised Greenpeace and others aren't upset about this. You would think it would increase melting rates. Should help with their electric bill however.

It wouldn't increase melting rates unless they build it right inside a glacier.
Score
October 28, 2011 5:45:15 PM

Uberragen21Good for cooling, bad for latency.

not necessarily true...by that time latency will be a thing of the past....they will make it work
Score
October 28, 2011 5:47:02 PM

thaile4everIt doesn't matter what infrastructure there is in Sweden, when we're talking about a trip from Europe to USA. The Transatlantic latency alone is ~80ms.

are you telling me that you can't wait 80ms?....you have got to be kidding me
Score
October 28, 2011 6:25:25 PM

jacekringUmmm...did you miss that whole thing that happened over in Japan with 4 of their nuclear reactors?BTW: what happened to the news coverage of that incident??? There is nothing newer then June when they upgraded the severity level to that of Chernobyl. Which btw, is the MAXIMUM severity level we have established. A 7 out of a possible 7 on the nuclear disaster scale. The impacts of the radiation are not yet fully understood, as to what it will do to us here in the U.S.A and over in Europe. But it's safe to consider all sea food from within a few hundred KM of the nuclear plants to be radioactive and unhealthy for consumption. Probably within a year or two that radiation will spread all the way to the U.S. west coast, and I will refuse to eat any sea food fished from that side of the planet. High radiation levels (700 Bq/kg) has already been found in Plankton (a major fish food source) over 200km south of the nuclear plants.

Please, that was the Japanese being idiots and building a nuke plant in such an idiotic area. Modern nuclear power is extremely safe especially in an area like sweden. Nuclear is the only form of power that we currently have that has the capacity to replace all coal and oil burning plants. In the future we may have other alternatives but right now nukes are it.
Score
October 28, 2011 7:17:32 PM

Since when has Facebook been fast anyway?
Score
October 28, 2011 7:23:22 PM

jacekringUmmm...did you miss that whole thing that happened over in Japan with 4 of their nuclear reactors?BTW: what happened to the news coverage of that incident??? There is nothing newer then June when they upgraded the severity level to that of Chernobyl. Which btw, is the MAXIMUM severity level we have established. A 7 out of a possible 7 on the nuclear disaster scale. The impacts of the radiation are not yet fully understood, as to what it will do to us here in the U.S.A and over in Europe. But it's safe to consider all sea food from within a few hundred KM of the nuclear plants to be radioactive and unhealthy for consumption. Probably within a year or two that radiation will spread all the way to the U.S. west coast, and I will refuse to eat any sea food fished from that side of the planet. High radiation levels (700 Bq/kg) has already been found in Plankton (a major fish food source) over 200km south of the nuclear plants.

So did you miss exactly where they built the plant? The plant was fine and safe, the only down side was that Mother Nature was pissed and hit Japan on 2 different fronts and there is nothing we can do to protect against her fury. Had the plant been farther inland and away from the coast it would not have happened, there is only so much you can do to protect things from nature.
Score
October 28, 2011 10:26:14 PM

ok, how many tsunamis hit america in the mid west?
how many areas are low tornado risk?

the main crap with the japan tsunami is they stored the radioactive material on site, and there was an investigation into people running those plants were bribing people checking them for violations even before the tsunami hit.

just because they can fail, doesnt mean we should not build it.

you think a sky scraper wont be built again just because a plane can hit it or an earth quake can happen?
Score
October 28, 2011 11:05:56 PM

posteris2 years later: Greenpeace will protest against Facebook servers, because they doubled ice melting rate

who would have thought the end of the world would really be because of Zynga's games

:) 
Score
October 29, 2011 5:09:37 AM

Contributing to disturbance of pristine arctic land.
Score
October 29, 2011 7:55:55 AM

Great, now even hiding out in the arctic won't get me away from this pointless nonsense.
Score
October 29, 2011 2:56:46 PM

this is where all your 'deleted' profiles are stored. they never get rid of your data, obviously.
Score
October 31, 2011 10:58:18 PM

hey could put it in the arctic circle if they did it in alaska instead :-D
Score
November 1, 2011 4:11:22 AM

Cool idea,Cool place COOL DATA CENTER..less cost in COOLING SYSTEM...
Score
November 4, 2011 3:56:44 PM

Now watch it cause a strike with Sweden's Labor Unions.

What's latency matter when all your gonna do on FB is status updates and farmville?

jacekringUmmm...did you miss that whole thing that happened over in Japan with 4 of their nuclear reactors?*snip*

Cool rant bro. Did you forget that Unlike Japan most continents (USA being a prime one, and sited by the OP) not on the Pacific Ring of Fire? The idea of using Nuclear reactors is very good in regions that benefit from being stable. Of course you have a problem with waste fuel but what non renewable resource power plant doesn't have that problem? And lets not even go into what kind of environmental issues damns cause, and catastrophes they can cause if they fail.

Though I too am concerned about Japan's cleanup effort. Even if what was claimed (it's worse than chernobyl) is pure fecal matter. Unlike Chernobyl the main bulk of the material has been contained.
Score
!