ATI Radeon X600 SE or nVidia GeForce 6800: need quick answ..

I am asking the same question at the nVidia newsgroup. I don't want a
war between the two names, just want to know which card I should go with.

I am doing a configure to order system (which I want to process asap)
and I can get:
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
or
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 add $140
other options are
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
subtract $40
or
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT add $500
(this one is out of the question, too expensive)

I'll be hooking it up to a 20" wide screen lcd. I don't do intense
gaming except on rare occasion, but I do use photoshop a lot for digital
imaging. Which card will do? Why is the 6800 more expensive for what
looks like the same memory as the Radeon x600?

Thanks for any help!

The geforce 6800 is a bit faster then the x600.
I hear everywhere that the x800xl is a good purchase.
Check out toms hardware link...
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:27:48 -0400, JEC <DontSendMeSpam@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Flow wrote:
>
>> The geforce 6800 is a bit faster then the x600.
>but is it worth the $140? for what I need it for

Not just a bit faster the 6600series score around 8000 point in
3dmark03 that is for the gigabyte ant the bfg one.

the x600 would probably do 4500, imo.

>> I hear everywhere that the x800xl is a good purchase.
>> Check out toms hardware link...
>> http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html
>Thanks for the info

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

JEC wrote:
> I'll be hooking it up to a 20" wide screen lcd. I don't do intense
> gaming except on rare occasion, but I do use photoshop a lot for
> digital imaging. Which card will do? Why is the 6800 more expensive
> for what looks like the same memory as the Radeon x600?

For Photoshopping, you'll just be using 2D. The 2D speed of all cards of the
last 5 years is about the same. The more expensive cards are faster in 3D,
but if you dont use the PC for gaming, it's no use.

If you indeed only game very occasionally, you could stick with the x600.

What resolution will you be using on the 20" screen? I dont know if you'll
be needing dual-link DVI or something like that...

--
greets,
Thomas

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:53:55 -0400, JEC wrote:

> I am asking the same question at the nVidia newsgroup. I don't want a
> war between the two names, just want to know which card I should go with.
>
> I am doing a configure to order system (which I want to process asap)
> and I can get:
> 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
> or
> 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 add $140
> other options are
> 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
> subtract $40
> or
> 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT add $500
> (this one is out of the question, too expensive)
>
> I'll be hooking it up to a 20" wide screen lcd. I don't do intense
> gaming except on rare occasion, but I do use photoshop a lot for digital
> imaging. Which card will do? Why is the 6800 more expensive for what
> looks like the same memory as the Radeon x600?

I have the 24 inch 1920x1200 Dell LCD. AN AIW 9600 drove its VGA input
perfectly. The DVI on my AIW X600 drives it at least as well.

The downside to my X600 is the TV portion. Every so often vertical lines
appear in the video, and capture tends to wedge itself into a catatonic
unkillable state that requires a hardware reset. And the FM only tunes up
to about 102 MHz, leaving the top 6 MHz of the US FM band out of reach.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

I have a 24 inch Dell LCD with 1920x1200. The VGA output
on an AIW 9600 drove it just fine. The DVI output on my
AIW X600 drives it perfectly.

Unfortunately, the X600 gets vertical lines in the video
now and then. Capture to disk locks up the program now and then.
FM won't tune above 102.