Service Pack and Virus Removal .exe's?

One of our colleagues/coworkers acquired a virus in Outlook Express
yesterday, August 13th, not sure what it is. She operates Windows XP, Outlook
Express 6.0. Her computer won't allow her to download the service packs and
microsoft virus products: my question is this...are any or all of these
microsoft antivirus/virus removable tools -- as well as the service packs --
downloadable as .exe files so that I could download them and, in turn, give
them to her on a CD so she could run the executables?? Any ideas will help.
NOTE: she did have the may 2005 version of the Stinger from McAfee and she
ran it, it did not find a virus, so this must be a newer virus? Thanks to
anyone in advance for any suggestions. Jim At WorldWebTalk

Malke

WorldWebTalk wrote:

> One of our colleagues/coworkers acquired a virus in Outlook Express
> yesterday, August 13th, not sure what it is. She operates Windows XP,
> Outlook
> Express 6.0. Her computer won't allow her to download the service
> packs and microsoft virus products: my question is this...are any or
> all of these microsoft antivirus/virus removable tools -- as well as
> the service packs -- downloadable as .exe files so that I could
> download them and, in turn, give
> them to her on a CD so she could run the executables?? Any ideas will
> help. NOTE: she did have the may 2005 version of the Stinger from
> McAfee and she ran it, it did not find a virus, so this must be a
> newer virus? Thanks to
> anyone in advance for any suggestions. Jim At WorldWebTalk

Of course you can download programs and updates on a known-clean
computer with an Internet connection and either burn the files to cd-r
or use a usb thumbdrive with enough capacity. Stinger is a very limited
antivirus tool that only looks for around 40 or so viruses. It also has
not been updated for a while. Instead, start by running TrendMicro's
Sysclean as detailed on the website here:

Do all malware/virus removal work in Safe Mode with updated tools. After
you have done the initial scanning with Sysclean, install a
full-featured av on the machine, update it (have the updates for your
chosen av on the cd-r or usb thumbdrive) and do a thorough scan in Safe
Mode. Then to be thorough, run through the other non-viral malware
removal steps listed on the website above.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com