More about hidden admin shares

    From: "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com>

    | What are the "hidden" admin shares in XP Home and how are they a security
    | risk?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Johnson@naol.com

    They are such shares as C$, D$, etc.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    Double click on AutoShareServer and set it to 0 to disable it for a server.
    Double click on AutoShareWks and set it to 0 to disable it for a
    workstation.
    If the entries are not present, Add Value of type REG_DWORD. The Range is 0
    (disable) or 1 (enable - the default).

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    From http://www.chicagotech.net/winxphome.htm#Can%20I%20disable%20Simple%20File%20Sharing

    My XP Home Edition does not automatically create any special shared ($) folders.
    A: Because of security implications, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition does
    not automatically create the drive letter$, or Admin$ special shared folders.

    Take a risk... try googling it on your own

    Jeff schrieb:

    > What are the "hidden" admin shares in XP Home and how are they a security
    > risk?

    They can only be a security risk if you have administrative accounts with a
    simple password set (that can be guessed by an attacker). If your
    administrative account do not have a password set they can not be used to
    access these resources from a remote machine.

    Jan

Security Microsoft Windows XP