Johnson@naol.com

From: "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com>

| What are the "hidden" admin shares in XP Home and how are they a security
| risk?
|
| --
|
| Johnson@naol.com

They are such shares as C$, D$, etc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Double click on AutoShareServer and set it to 0 to disable it for a server.
Double click on AutoShareWks and set it to 0 to disable it for a
workstation.
If the entries are not present, Add Value of type REG_DWORD. The Range is 0
(disable) or 1 (enable - the default).

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From http://www.chicagotech.net/winxphome.htm#Can%20I%20disable%20Simple%20File%20Sharing

My XP Home Edition does not automatically create any special shared ($) folders.
A: Because of security implications, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition does
not automatically create the drive letter$, or Admin$ special shared folders.

Take a risk... try googling it on your own

Jeff schrieb:

> What are the "hidden" admin shares in XP Home and how are they a security
> risk?

They can only be a security risk if you have administrative accounts with a
simple password set (that can be guessed by an attacker). If your
administrative account do not have a password set they can not be used to
access these resources from a remote machine.

Jan