Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

Hello,

I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
Tournament 2004 I get the message:

"Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."

None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
unavailable.

I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
card.

I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

bill

In article <dc8u1s$9et2$1@news3.infoave.net>, ingramje@gmail.com
says...
> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
> but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
> Tournament 2004 I get the message:
>
> "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
> and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
> DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
>
> None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
> Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> unavailable.
>
> I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> card.
>
> I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
hardware setup.

Bill

Here are my system specs:

2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
1 Gig of RAM
1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
1 8x Sony DVD-RW
1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
256MB Sapphire 9600XT

I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
not).

I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
well over a year.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <dc8u1s$9et2$1@news3.infoave.net>, ingramje@gmail.com
> says...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what
happened
> > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run
Unreal
> > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
> >
> > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting
dxdiag
> > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after
installing
> > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
> >
> > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to
the
> > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> > unavailable.
> >
> > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> > card.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
> installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
> hardware setup.
>
> Bill

LM

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Hi. This maybe a bit far fetched, but what about your system cache
settings. (swap file)
I once got this kind of problem when I increasead system cache to 2G.
Ati writes about problems with large memory in some display driver
readme's, maybe this is it.

Now my system cache is about 1533M

My machine:
Xp pro sp2
Ati club 9800 pro 128
1G ram
3 hard drives

LM

I get this problem whenever I update my Catalyst drivers, but it goes away
after two reboots.

Go to Start -> Run and type "services.msc". Make sure the process ATISmart
is set to "automatic"

"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
> but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
> Tournament 2004 I get the message:
>
> "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
> and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
> DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
>
> None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
> Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> unavailable.
>
> I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> card.
>
> I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

shawk

> I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed.

Have you reinstalled them recently? Particularly the AGP chipset ones? If
not do that and report back. Also reinstall DirectX