Sapphire 9800Pro vs. ATI x700 vs. ??

I’m looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
haha). I’m thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.
I would love to look into a Sapphire x700 but as far as i know they
are only making a pci-e version. Cost is somewhat of an issue so I
wont be going all out, but i want a good bang/buck ratio. The
Sapphire 9800Pros are around 130 and I remember seeing an x700 for
around 160 online. What do you guys think?

System specs:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
ATI Radeon 8500
Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
Antec TruePower 330 power supply
Others:
Gigabyte wireless ethernet (PCI adapter) (802.11g)
Modem

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Sapphire-9800Pro-x700-ftopict59544.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301360
7 answers Last reply
More about sapphire 9800pro x700

    "SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
    > myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
    > i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
    > haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
    > heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.

    GeCube makes one. Sapphire does not. As you can see from the tests below,
    it's a poor choice. The 9800 Pro outperforms it on almost every game bench
    at higher resolutions. It's 3DMark05 test is identical to the 9800 Pro and
    it's '03 bench is the only one where it pulls ahead (6400 vs 7800) Read the
    review
    http://www.digital-daily.com/video/gecube-rx700-pro/index03.htm

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:57:25 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
    wrote:

    >"SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
    >> myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
    >> i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
    >> haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
    >> heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.
    >
    >GeCube makes one. Sapphire does not. As you can see from the tests below,
    >it's a poor choice. The 9800 Pro outperforms it on almost every game bench
    >at higher resolutions. It's 3DMark05 test is identical to the 9800 Pro and
    >it's '03 bench is the only one where it pulls ahead (6400 vs 7800) Read the
    >review
    >http://www.digital-daily.com/video/gecube-rx700-pro/index03.htm

    I personally own a x700pro build by ati and it's a vivo card. The
    256mb one. I had a 9800pro before, And imo it has more stability with
    the same frame rate maybe more. Again i've switch to this card for
    it's vivo feature and it's little improvement.

    The spec are good it has
    Gddr3 128bit
    256mb
    In/out svido
    an rv410 core 425mghz
    the mem is at 432mhz
    and pixel shader 2.b
    And it has high definition tv

    The 9800pro is an equivalent in fps in low resolution but...

    Any way an other card from nvdia that posses all that is the gigabyte
    6600gt there is one with video in. That one will out perform any card
    mentioned here.

    Make your choice...

    "SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
    > myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
    > i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
    > haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
    > heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.
    > I would love to look into a Sapphire x700 but as far as i know they
    > are only making a pci-e version. Cost is somewhat of an issue so I
    > wont be going all out, but i want a good bang/buck ratio. The
    > Sapphire 9800Pros are around 130 and I remember seeing an x700 for
    > around 160 online. What do you guys think?
    >
    > System specs:
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
    > Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
    > OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
    > ATI Radeon 8500
    > Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
    > MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
    > Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
    > Antec TruePower 330 power supply
    > Others:
    > Gigabyte wireless ethernet (PCI adapter) (802.11g)
    > Modem

    Best bang per buck right now is nVidia 6600GT, whips a 9800Pro.

    "" wrote:
    > "SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda
    > stuck
    > > myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this
    > originally so
    > > i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500
    > sitting aroudn
    > > haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe
    > ultimate but i
    > > heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an
    > ATI x700.
    > > I would love to look into a Sapphire x700 but as far as i
    > know they
    > > are only making a pci-e version. Cost is somewhat of an
    > issue so I
    > > wont be going all out, but i want a good bang/buck ratio.
    > The
    > > Sapphire 9800Pros are around 130 and I remember seeing an
    > x700 for
    > > around 160 online. What do you guys think?
    > >
    > > System specs:
    > > Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
    > > Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
    > > OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
    > > ATI Radeon 8500
    > > Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
    > > MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
    > > Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
    > > Antec TruePower 330 power supply
    > > Others:
    > > Gigabyte wireless ethernet (PCI adapter) (802.11g)
    > > Modem
    >
    > Best bang per buck right now is nVidia 6600GT, whips a
    > 9800Pro.

    6600 hmm ... I’m not very familiar w/ the nVidia cards, do you have
    any recommendations for which builder to get it from (AOpen, BFG,
    PNY)?

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Sapphire-9800Pro-x700-ftopict59544.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301726

    "TonyC" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > "SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
    >> myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
    >> i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
    >> haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
    >> heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.
    >> I would love to look into a Sapphire x700 but as far as i know they
    >> are only making a pci-e version. Cost is somewhat of an issue so I
    >> wont be going all out, but i want a good bang/buck ratio. The
    >> Sapphire 9800Pros are around 130 and I remember seeing an x700 for
    >> around 160 online. What do you guys think?
    >>
    >> System specs:
    >> Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
    >> Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
    >> OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
    >> ATI Radeon 8500
    >> Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
    >> MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
    >> Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
    >> Antec TruePower 330 power supply
    >> Others:
    >> Gigabyte wireless ethernet (PCI adapter) (802.11g)
    >> Modem
    >
    > Best bang per buck right now is nVidia 6600GT, whips a 9800Pro.

    Best Buy has the X800XL's on for 250 or something.

    Certainly a little more expensive but in a whole other league than the
    9800's and 6600 gts.

    Tom

    > 6600 hmm ... I'm not very familiar w/ the nVidia cards, do you have
    > any recommendations for which builder to get it from (AOpen, BFG,
    > PNY)?

    6600GT.

    Pretty much any will do unless you want to overclock it.

    You can get an excellent 9800 for £80 if you shop around. This is easily the
    best bang/buck ratio around right now. I bought this one which comes with a
    free Artic cooler:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9299455897&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198

    Superb card which runs everything perfectly on my 19" TFT.

    Bobby

    "SublimeZ31" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to upgrade my video card, unfortunately I kinda stuck
    > myself w/ AGP instead of pci-e. (ironically, i did this originally so
    > i wouldnt have to buy a new vid card bc i had an 8500 sitting aroudn
    > haha). I'm thinking either a Sapphire 9800Pro (maybe ultimate but i
    > heard they dont stay cool enough w/out having a fan) or an ATI x700.
    > I would love to look into a Sapphire x700 but as far as i know they
    > are only making a pci-e version. Cost is somewhat of an issue so I
    > wont be going all out, but i want a good bang/buck ratio. The
    > Sapphire 9800Pros are around 130 and I remember seeing an x700 for
    > around 160 online. What do you guys think?
    >
    > System specs:
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
    > Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
    > OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
    > ATI Radeon 8500
    > Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
    > MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
    > Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
    > Antec TruePower 330 power supply
    > Others:
    > Gigabyte wireless ethernet (PCI adapter) (802.11g)
    > Modem

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Sapphire-9800Pro-x700-ftopict59544.html