Battlefield 2 pixelated shadows

Mike

Splendid

I've had a problem with BF2, even after a clean reinstall of windows, where
the realtime shadows seem to be extremely low resolution.. very blocky and
pixelated. Is this a common problem that can be fixed?

Athlon XP 3200+
1gig(512x2) OCZ performance series (2-3-3-6)
9700 Pro(stock)
XP Pro SP2
Cat. 5.7
All details are set to high with no AA and medium texture filtering in game
setting

"mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had a problem with BF2, even after a clean reinstall of windows,
> where the realtime shadows seem to be extremely low resolution.. very
> blocky and pixelated. Is this a common problem that can be fixed?
>
> Athlon XP 3200+
> 1gig(512x2) OCZ performance series (2-3-3-6)
> 9700 Pro(stock)
> XP Pro SP2
> Cat. 5.7
> All details are set to high with no AA and medium texture filtering in
> game setting

Yes, its a problem. But I don't know the fix (if there is one yet). I saw it
on the demo and its in the actual game.

I noticed it most on shadows cast on (and by) the aircraft on the carrier.

Your older video card cannot handle the video requirements of that modern
game on HIGH detail. Crank the detail down, or get a more powerful modern
card.

--
DaveW

"mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had a problem with BF2, even after a clean reinstall of windows,
> where the realtime shadows seem to be extremely low resolution.. very
> blocky and pixelated. Is this a common problem that can be fixed?
>
> Athlon XP 3200+
> 1gig(512x2) OCZ performance series (2-3-3-6)
> 9700 Pro(stock)
> XP Pro SP2
> Cat. 5.7
> All details are set to high with no AA and medium texture filtering in
> game setting

My 9800Pro runs the game fine at "high". The 9800Pro is what, 10% faster
than the 9700Pro?

> Your older video card cannot handle the video requirements of that modern
> game on HIGH detail. Crank the detail down, or get a more powerful modern
> card.

tonyc

> Your older video card cannot handle the video requirements of that modern
> game on HIGH detail. Crank the detail down, or get a more powerful modern
> card.
>
> --
> DaveW

Same problem here, pixellated shadows and some general weirdness. Though it
does play great with 50-90FPS at 1280x1024 all on high detail.

DFI NF4 SLI-DR (623-3)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice LBBLE 0515FPBW) @ 10x270 1.5v
Akasa AK913 Evo33 (31c idle 38c load)
Antec P160 - Hiper Type R Modular 580w
2x512Mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 @ 225Mhz 8-3-3-2.5 (2.85v Orange slots)
ATI Radeon X800XT 256Mb PCI-e 500/500 Cat5.6CP
SBLive (for joystick)
WD Caviar SE WD2000JB 200Gb 7,200rpm 8Mb
WD Caviar SE WD1600JB 160Gb 7,200rpm 8Mb
Seagate 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200Gb 8Mb SATA
NEC 3520 DVD-RW
ViewSonic VX912 19" TFT @ 1280x1024x32
Technics headphones
Windows XP Pro SP2

its a bug that ATI/EA need to work out

i run with shadows off cuz its so lame (nice speed boost for doing so)

Gingangooli wrote:
> "mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I've had a problem with BF2, even after a clean reinstall of windows,
>>where the realtime shadows seem to be extremely low resolution.. very
>>blocky and pixelated. Is this a common problem that can be fixed?
> Yes, its a problem. But I don't know the fix (if there is one yet). I saw it
> on the demo and its in the actual game.

I haven't seen any pixelated shadows and I previously had 9600pro, now
GF6600GT. I think there's something messed up with your video settings.
Have you used Radlinker or similar tweaking tool? Those sometimes mess
them up.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:33:26 -0400, "Richard Gnutered"
<rugnuts49@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>its a bug that ATI/EA need to work out

Likely ATI only.... usual sloppy driver QC .......

John Lewis

"" wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:33:26 -0400, "Richard Gnutered"
> <rugnuts49@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >its a bug that ATI/EA need to work out
> >

> Likely ATI only.... usual sloppy driver QC .......
>
> John Lewis

Maybe BF2 is designed around the nvidia card. Until they do a
fix/patch it can be resolved.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Battlefield-pixelated-shadows-ftopict59617.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304846

Well, the shadows look fine on my R9800Pro with Cat 5.7. The game runs
smoothly, too, impressive considering the pretty visuals.

BF2 may be *bundled* with several nVidia cards (eVGA 7800GTX comes to mind),
it probably wasn't designed around nVidia exclusively.