Latest Steam update weird

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I logged into steam yesterday and it began updating. When it was finished I
ran HL2. But before the Valve avi played the pc rebooted by itself. I
thought, "WTF?" This thing has never had that problem. So the machine
boots back up and there is lots of hard drive activity. I'm starting to
think I have a virus from Steam! I hit ctrl-alt-del to see what processes
are running and I see wuauclt.exe. Strange. I never saw that before. So I
do a search on google for it and it turns out it's the executable for
Windows auto update. But I have auto updates turned off. After a while of
disk activity the machine settles down and wuauclt.exe goes away. I launch
HL2 and all is well.

Freaky. Anybody else have something like this happen?

DaveL

Ive noticed that process as well when logging on and then goes away, does
this on both my XP machines. think its SP2 thing, can only remember it doing
this since installing SP2

"ragamuffin" <ragamuffin@ed.com> wrote in message
> Ive noticed that process as well when logging on and then goes away, does
> this on both my XP machines. think its SP2 thing, can only remember it
doing
> this since installing SP2

nope, its windows update v5. it will appear on any machine that has used the
ms update site recently.

dr ratt

schrodinger

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I logged into steam yesterday and it began updating. When it was finished
>I ran HL2. But before the Valve avi played the pc rebooted by itself. I
>thought, "WTF?" This thing has never had that problem. So the machine
>boots back up and there is lots of hard drive activity. I'm starting to
>think I have a virus from Steam! I hit ctrl-alt-del to see what processes
>are running and I see wuauclt.exe. Strange. I never saw that before. So
>I do a search on google for it and it turns out it's the executable for
>Windows auto update. But I have auto updates turned off. After a while of
>disk activity the machine settles down and wuauclt.exe goes away. I
>launch HL2 and all is well.
>
> Freaky. Anybody else have something like this happen?
>
> DaveL

Steam seemed to stop responding after the latest update and, like you, I had
loads of hard disk thrashing going on. Took about 5 mins then calmed down.

It was also going a bit crazy whilst downloading the HL2 update.

Figured it was simply Valve examining the contents of my hard disk to check
for anti-Steam posts and subsequently have somebody follow me if any were
found...

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:46:20 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:

>Steam seemed to stop responding after the latest update and, like you, I had
>loads of hard disk thrashing going on. Took about 5 mins then calmed down.
>
>It was also going a bit crazy whilst downloading the HL2 update.
>
>Figured it was simply Valve examining the contents of my hard disk to check
>for anti-Steam posts and subsequently have somebody follow me if any were
>found...

No, I think Bill Gates is behind this whole thing. It's a
Microsoft/Valve conspiracy to egg the poor consumer into upgrading to
a new system to play the game. I knew he had a hand in this!