Setup of new Wireless-G Access Point

I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in preparation
of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
wireless networks, so I have a few questions.

My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.

The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is setup
to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set it
up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.

On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify the
IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the IP
Address to my network's Router?

Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my local
network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it and
not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the Access
Point?

Thanks for any info you provide!

Tim
7 answers Last reply
More about setup wireless access point

    If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than as a
    router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
    gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired network.
    Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
    workstations.

    -Frank

    "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in
    preparation
    > of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
    > wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
    >
    > My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
    > workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
    >
    > The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is
    setup
    > to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set
    it
    > up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
    >
    > On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify
    the
    > IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the IP
    > Address to my network's Router?
    >
    > Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my local
    > network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it
    and
    > not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
    > power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
    > address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the Access
    > Point?
    >
    > Thanks for any info you provide!
    >
    > Tim

    Ahhh that answers my question. So basically it's a "wireless hub", and my
    wireless workstations will receive an IP from my main router (or Win2k
    server, if/when I decide to implement that option of DHCP).

    This AP I have is an Access Point only, it doesn't have a router/DHCP
    function built into it. My "goal" was to save a bit of money and not have to
    buy a brand new router, as the one I have now isn't even 2 months old yet.

    Thanks for the info

    Tim

    "Frank" <Frank@REMOVEALLCAPSitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than as
    > router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
    > gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired network.
    > Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
    > workstations.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in
    > preparation
    > > of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
    > > wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
    > >
    > > My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
    > > workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
    > >
    > > The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is
    > setup
    > > to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set
    > it
    > > up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
    > >
    > > On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify
    > the
    > > IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the
    IP
    > > Address to my network's Router?
    > >
    > > Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my
    local
    > > network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it
    > and
    > > not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
    > > power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
    > > address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the
    Access
    > > Point?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info you provide!
    > >
    > > Tim

    Hi

    An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
    http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

    So if you do not need the extras of an AP buy a Wireless Router.

    Setting up Wireless: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Ahhh that answers my question. So basically it's a "wireless hub", and my
    > wireless workstations will receive an IP from my main router (or Win2k
    > server, if/when I decide to implement that option of DHCP).
    >
    > This AP I have is an Access Point only, it doesn't have a router/DHCP
    > function built into it. My "goal" was to save a bit of money and not have
    > buy a brand new router, as the one I have now isn't even 2 months old yet.
    >
    > Thanks for the info
    >
    > Tim
    >

    > "Frank" <Frank@REMOVEALLCAPSitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > > If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than
    as
    > > router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
    > > gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired
    network.
    > > Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
    > > workstations.
    > >
    > > -Frank
    > >
    > > "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in
    > > preparation
    > > > of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything
    with
    > > > wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
    > > >
    > > > My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and
    2
    > > > workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
    > > >
    > > > The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is
    > > setup
    > > > to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also
    set
    > > it
    > > > up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
    > > >
    > > > On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I
    specify
    > > the
    > > > IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify
    the
    > IP
    > > > Address to my network's Router?
    > > >
    > > > Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my
    > local
    > > > network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to
    it
    > > and
    > > > not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
    > > > power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
    > > > address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the
    > Access
    > > > Point?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any info you provide!
    > > >
    > > > Tim

    > An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

    Ahhh I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Router with "Speedboost", and
    it was $150 at office depot from what I remember, then I saw the Wireless-G
    access point also by Linksys for $80. That's where I got my "cheaper" idea
    from. But still, the AP should be better for me... as my cable modem and
    router are in one room, and I can plug the AP into a wall port in one of my
    other rooms that would be closer to where I'd be using the laptop most of
    the time (and it'd be closer to the rear of my house so if I want to go out
    back and enjoy it, I'd be free there too :))

    Hi.
    You can find the "SpeedBooster" for half of the price that you saw.
    However under the circumstances. I.e setting the AP in another room you are
    better off with AP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > > An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
    > > http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html
    >
    > Ahhh I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Router with "Speedboost", and
    > it was $150 at office depot from what I remember, then I saw the
    Wireless-G
    > access point also by Linksys for $80. That's where I got my "cheaper" idea
    > from. But still, the AP should be better for me... as my cable modem and
    > router are in one room, and I can plug the AP into a wall port in one of
    my
    > other rooms that would be closer to where I'd be using the laptop most of
    > the time (and it'd be closer to the rear of my house so if I want to go
    out
    > back and enjoy it, I'd be free there too :))

    I am having trouble installing the same unit (WAP54G).
    Since the device has an assigned IP address, I assume that
    you should be able to ping it, but I cannot even from the
    wired network. Shouldn't I be able to?

    --
    Bob D

    > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
    (WAP54G) in preparation
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Yes, you should. Default IP for it is 192.168.1.245 with subnet mask of
    255.255.255.0, so I guess the first thing is to make sure your wired network
    is setup on the same subnet as well as having 192.168.1.x ip addresses
    setup... (at least I would think that's how it is... haha)

    What IP's are setup on your network as it is now?

    "Bob D" <bjdNOSPAMPLZ@evansville.net> wrote in message
    > I am having trouble installing the same unit (WAP54G).
    > Since the device has an assigned IP address, I assume that
    > you should be able to ping it, but I cannot even from the
    > wired network. Shouldn't I be able to?
    >
    > --
    > Bob D
    >
    > "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
    > (WAP54G) in preparation

Wireless Routers Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking