Origin, Maingear Offering Core i7-2700K OC'ed to 5+GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Why would I buy an unlocked CPU, just to have it Overclocked for me ?This is Bullsh!t[/citation]

Not everyone can do overclocking. This is for the noobs who would otherwise burn up their system or fry it trying to install a water cooling system, not for us enthusiasts who can do this on our own.

Lutfij

Titan
would only get the case and throw the innards at a scrapyard...honestly though can anybody get a hold of only the case?

i know its the raven R1 but the exterior and face plate are all machine aluminium :/

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Why would I buy an unlocked CPU, just to have it Overclocked for me ?This is Bullsh!t[/citation]

As jimmy stated not everyone knows how to OC or they are just uncomfortable doing it. The average PC gamer nowadays gets scared when they see a BSOD so they fear that they will ruin the expensive hardware that they paid for. Also an overclock over 5GHz is very difficult to achieve unless you really know what you are doing.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Its like buying an expensive car but asking someone else to drive it past 200mph.

Its hard for even an enthusiast to reach 5+Ghz without being very careful. But honestly I dont think such an overclock is even needed. Beyond 4Ghz theres hardly any gain in fps when it comes to gaming.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]guru_urug[/nom]Its hard for even an enthusiast to reach 5+Ghz without being very careful. But honestly I dont think such an overclock is even needed. Beyond 4Ghz theres hardly any gain in fps when it comes to gaming.[/citation]

From what I've seen most people can hit 4.7-4.9 GHz with the 2600k on air, so I can't image getting over 5GHz with the 2700k using water cooling would be that much more difficult.

But I agree there's not much gain to be had for the amount of extra power and heat it takes to get it that fast.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]As jimmy stated not everyone knows how to OC or they are just uncomfortable doing it. The average PC gamer nowadays gets scared when they see a BSOD so they fear that they will ruin the expensive hardware that they paid for. Also an overclock over 5GHz is very difficult to achieve unless you really know what you are doing.[/citation]

there are a few things i don't screw with on my computers, number 1 is the bios, don't fix what isn't broke. and number 2 is overclocking anything.

the last time i overclocked anything was in a computer that couldn't even run anything i wanted it to anymore, 8 or so years ago, it was 333mhz stock.

overclocking to me is just a way to give an unusable computer a but more time. with my p4, i had a prescot hyper threaded, that was already running hot, so when that could barely play 720p... i couldn't really overclock that comfortably. and now with a phenom II 955, i see no reason to overclock, everything gets done fast enough, everything plays and plays smoothly, the only "need" to over clock would be for bragging rights, but whats the point there.

personally i would rather have my crap run a bit slower, than increase the amount of heat that gets generated. especially if we talking about the over 5ghz range.

louish1982

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
no game at ultra settings with everything on will use more than half od this cpu on stock frequency, this kind of thing is ridiculous

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Its like buying an expensive car but asking someone else to drive it past 200mph."

I'd say the better analogy is like having someone customize a corvette for you, to make it perform like a supercar. IDK, engine tuning, replacing stock parts with carbon fiber, ceramic brakes, etc.

Hennessey and Saleen and Brabus and Alpina [and in house, like BMW's M-series and Mercedes' AMG and Dodge SRT] have been around doing exactly that for a long time [and before that you had your Yenko Camaros and such]

[citation][nom]louish1982[/nom]no game at ultra settings with everything on will use more than half od this cpu on stock frequency, this kind of thing is ridiculous[/citation]

Agree with you. I bought myself a K series CPU, and had it overclocked for a while. After realizing there was nothing to gain from the overclock, I decided it was just not worth pushing the original specs. The 2700k itself does not make sense, let alone overclock it.

I don't feel like looking it up but I wonder what kind of warranty(ies) they offer for a 5+ghz system. I wonder how much it must cost... How long would it last?

I put the 2600k at 4.6ghz at 1.33v for 24/7 use, and logged into Windows at 5ghz at 1.38v but didn't survive long enough to validate. I'd like to know what voltages they are using to hit over 5ghz. Is it prime95 stable? Hard to believe it would be, and if so, for how long? 30 minutes? 30 hours?

gandalf_alpha

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Not everyone can do overclocking. This is for the noobs who would otherwise burn up their system or fry it trying to install a water cooling system, not for us enthusiasts who can do this on our own.[/citation]

The reason you buy it from them Overclocked is very simple... If it fries itself, they will cover it under warranty. If you fry your own chip, Intel isn't going to replace it for you as you voided their warranty.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
In my 2500k rig with H50 it's not that hard to hit 5 GHz. I just have to put some volts through it, and turn off load line calibration in my asrock p67 professional lol I had it running up there for a day or two. But there was literally 0 fps gain over stock 3.3 or whatever the 2500 is. (games I played then were bad company 2, starcraft 2). I mostly just wanted to hit 5 GHz to say I did it, snap a pic of it running in CPUZ with intel burn test in the background, and then get the heck outta there.

Since then I've downsized to a i3 2120 with 6870 rig. As fun as monster rigs are, it starts costing a ton of money to get not that much more performance. a $600 rig will play most everything, beyond that your either playing BF3/Metro/Crysis 1 on max or the performance gain your getting, is the gain in your street cred for having 1337 components.

I would love a 2700k system. I just think it's a little bit like owning a BMW. Awesome, but with speed limits in place, kinda useless as a gain in practicality

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
"thanks to its "record breaking" professional overclocking team."

Oh yeah because it's really hard to overclock a liquid cooled rig up to 5 ghz....

Besides, they're just going to copy-paste the same bios settings to all their machines, so their "overclocking team" is only needed once.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]louish1982[/nom]no game at ultra settings with everything on will use more than half od this cpu on stock frequency, this kind of thing is ridiculous[/citation]

Distributed computing such at Seti@home and Folding@home will run faster :)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Isn't gaming on a 2600k overkill already? Why would anyone want this other than to brag about it? There's no reason a gaming rig would need it.[/citation]
Why does anyone want a supercar when a Corolla will get you where you want to go? Why does anyone want a 20 room 25 bath mansion when they live alone? Why does anyone need a $500 smartphone when all they do is make calls? The answer is CAUSE THEY CAN!!!

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I feel dumb me for asking this. How long is the warranty?

I wonder if that CPU could last 3 years over 5Ghz but what do they care, that machine is not designed to run that long but really fast. Also I am using my 2600K way lower than that and I am still happy not having to read the internet and pay to much for electricity.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Time is money. (Actually... time is candy :D)
Some people just don't want to spend time, energy and nerves on building and overclocking a system when they can just buy it pre-overclocked with warranty and everything.

U know, there are people that don't mess with it, they just want to use it. Like my brother in law.

Isn't that "Apple user like answer"?

Status
Not open for further replies.