deny access in a folder does not work

I am trying to deny access in a folder to avoid my brother to use it. No
matter what permissions/denies I use he is still capable of listing the
contents and even delete files. He cannot open or run the files/programs but
that is not enough for me. I denied EVERYTHING for EVERYONE (including
myself) but the folder it's still accesible. What is happening here? is it a
BUG in Windows XP Pro?

You may wish to review the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Hector" wrote:

| I am trying to deny access in a folder to avoid my brother to use it. No
| matter what permissions/denies I use he is still capable of listing the
| contents and even delete files. He cannot open or run the files/programs but
| that is not enough for me. I denied EVERYTHING for EVERYONE (including
| myself) but the folder it's still accesible. What is happening here? is it a
| BUG in Windows XP Pro?

Well, I already checked those links but didn't help. Thanks anyway. By the
way, the situation only occurs with users that were created at the moment of
installing Windows XP (initial screen). The users created later behave in a
'normal' way. It appears that the users created in the initial screen have
some special privilegies and can traverse and delete any folder/file no
matter the permissions. Of course I could delete and create such users again
but is tedious to configure again the profiles, mail accounts, documents, etc
and I don't want to give explanations to such users. Tell an user you want to
deny the access to a folder and he surely will try to snoop at it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You may wish to review the following:
>
> HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399
>
> You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286
>
> How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
> and folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Hector" wrote:
>
> | I am trying to deny access in a folder to avoid my brother to use it. No
> | matter what permissions/denies I use he is still capable of listing the
> | contents and even delete files. He cannot open or run the files/programs but
> | that is not enough for me. I denied EVERYTHING for EVERYONE (including
> | myself) but the folder it's still accesible. What is happening here? is it a
> | BUG in Windows XP Pro?

Are the other users Limited or Administrator?
Any Administrator can do and undo anything any Administrator can do.
If you need control, you are the only one who can access an Administrator.
That also includes the default Administrator accessible in Safe Mode.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Hector" <Hector@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, I already checked those links but didn't help. Thanks anyway. By the
> way, the situation only occurs with users that were created at the moment
> of
> installing Windows XP (initial screen). The users created later behave in
> 'normal' way. It appears that the users created in the initial screen have
> some special privilegies and can traverse and delete any folder/file no
> matter the permissions. Of course I could delete and create such users
> again
> but is tedious to configure again the profiles, mail accounts, documents,
> etc
> and I don't want to give explanations to such users. Tell an user you want
> deny the access to a folder and he surely will try to snoop at it.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You may wish to review the following:
>>
>> HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399
>>
>> You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286
>>
>> How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
>> and folders in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Hector" wrote:
>>
>> | I am trying to deny access in a folder to avoid my brother to use it.
>> No
>> | matter what permissions/denies I use he is still capable of listing the
>> | contents and even delete files. He cannot open or run the
>> files/programs but
>> | that is not enough for me. I denied EVERYTHING for EVERYONE (including
>> | myself) but the folder it's still accesible. What is happening here? is
>> it a
>> | BUG in Windows XP Pro?

The other users are administrators but the DENY access should block EVERYONE
including myself and that is not happening. The 'administrators' created long
after the installation of Windows XP behave according to the rules but the
'administrators' created in the initial screen (the first steps just after
the installation) apparently have special privilegies that allows then to
traverse folders and list/delete files no matter the restrictions.

Example of my enviroment:
User 'A' is an administrator created in the initial screen after the
instalation, as you know, it is mandatory to create at least one name (these
are what I call 'primary users'). User 'B' is an administrator created some
time later. User 'C' is me. I created a folder 'X', denied the access for
users 'A' and 'B' and gave full control to user 'C'. In my tests, the user
'A' can traverse, list and delete the contents of folder 'X' but he cannot
create, open or run files, therefore he acts weird. The user 'B' receives the
message "access denied" when he tries to open the folder 'X', therefore he
acts right. Both users are administrators and both have denied permissions to
the folder. the difference is the way they were created. One was created
automatically just after the installation and the other was created manually
long after. Moreover I have detected anothers weird behaivors in the 'primary
users', for example you cannot delete them all, you have to leave at least
one 'alive', but that is not matter for this discussion.