SOLUTION to getting MMC EasyShare TV to work w/ WinXP SP-2.

jackass

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005

For those still having trouble getting EasyShare to work under
WinXP-SP-2--specifically having the problem of the client computer not
being able to see the Server computer, here is the solution.

This was buried in the "notes" of MMC 9.06 but I know this will work
under MMC 9.02 and I imagine under all the MMCs. It works for
me--hopefully it can work for you. Actually it's kinda neat to be
able to watch TV remotely via a 80211g network.

It is a three part fix:

Part 1 - COMPONENT SERVICES
----------------------------
1. This assumes that your hardware and the rest of your ATI software
is setup OK.
2. Install MMC/EasyShare on both the server and the client. When
asked, install EasyShare software as SERVER on the server computer and
as CLIENT on the client computer.
3. On the server, scan the network and see if you can pickup the
client. Click the red X and make it become a green check. (Don't worry
if you can't.)
4. Now--on both computers, open START > RUN > and enter "dcomcnfg."
The Component Services box opens.
5. Click "Component Services", navigate to MY COMPUTER.
6. Right click on MY COMPUTER and select properties.
7. Click "COM Security" tab
8. Under "Access Permissions," Click EDIT LIMITS.
9. For both Anonymous and Everyone, check/enable Remote Access. OK
10. Under "Launch and Activation Permissions," click EDIT LIMITS.
11. Under Permissions for Everyone, check REMOTE LAUNCH and REMOTE
ACTIVATION. OK
12. You have successfully configured COM SECURITY.

Part 2 - WINDOWS FIREWALL-Exceptions
-------------------------
1. Go to START > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
2. Navigate to Exceptions Tab, click ADD PORT.
3. Enter Name "Port 135". Type 135 in Port Number space. Click TCP
button. OK
4. Back to ADD PORT.
5. As name, enter "Port 593", Type 593 in Port space. Click UPD
button. OK
6. End of Firewall Exceptions.

Part 3 - WINDOWS FIREWALL-Add Programs.
1. Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
2. If not already checked, Enable "File and Printer Sharing."
3. Check M/S Management Console
4. ADD ATI MMC (Browse to install directory ATI\Multimedia\Main\and
click on ATIMMC.EXE)
5. For server only, ADD HsNetCtrl (Browse to ATI\Multimedia\Homestead\
and click HsNetCtrl.exe) The spelling may be slightly different
depending on MMC version. OK

That should do it. Remember DO ALL OF THE ABOVE ON BOTH SERVER AND
CLIENT.

Now go back to your client open CONFIG EZShare, scan the network and
see if the server doesn't pop up. Same with server. Scan the network
and see if the client doesn't show up as :"configured."

Open EasyShare TV on the client, finish out the install, and enjoy.

Ralph O'Rourke

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:09:09 -0400, JAckASs wrote:

> For those still having trouble getting EasyShare to work under
> WinXP-SP-2--specifically having the problem of the client computer not
> being able to see the Server computer, here is the solution.
>
> This was buried in the "notes" of MMC 9.06 but I know this will work
> under MMC 9.02 and I imagine under all the MMCs. It works for
> me--hopefully it can work for you. Actually it's kinda neat to be
> able to watch TV remotely via a 80211g network.
>
> It is a three part fix:
>
> Part 1 - COMPONENT SERVICES
> ----------------------------
> 1. This assumes that your hardware and the rest of your ATI software
> is setup OK.
> 2. Install MMC/EasyShare on both the server and the client. When
> asked, install EasyShare software as SERVER on the server computer and
> as CLIENT on the client computer.
> 3. On the server, scan the network and see if you can pickup the
> client. Click the red X and make it become a green check. (Don't worry
> if you can't.)
> 4. Now--on both computers, open START > RUN > and enter "dcomcnfg."
> The Component Services box opens.
> 5. Click "Component Services", navigate to MY COMPUTER.
> 6. Right click on MY COMPUTER and select properties.
> 7. Click "COM Security" tab
> 8. Under "Access Permissions," Click EDIT LIMITS.
> 9. For both Anonymous and Everyone, check/enable Remote Access. OK
> 10. Under "Launch and Activation Permissions," click EDIT LIMITS.
> 11. Under Permissions for Everyone, check REMOTE LAUNCH and REMOTE
> ACTIVATION. OK
> 12. You have successfully configured COM SECURITY.
>
> Part 2 - WINDOWS FIREWALL-Exceptions
> -------------------------
> 1. Go to START > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
> 2. Navigate to Exceptions Tab, click ADD PORT.
> 3. Enter Name "Port 135". Type 135 in Port Number space. Click TCP
> button. OK
> 4. Back to ADD PORT.
> 5. As name, enter "Port 593", Type 593 in Port space. Click UPD
> button. OK
> 6. End of Firewall Exceptions.
>
> Part 3 - WINDOWS FIREWALL-Add Programs.
> 1. Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
> 2. If not already checked, Enable "File and Printer Sharing."
> 3. Check M/S Management Console
> 4. ADD ATI MMC (Browse to install directory ATI\Multimedia\Main\and
> click on ATIMMC.EXE)
> 5. For server only, ADD HsNetCtrl (Browse to ATI\Multimedia\Homestead\
> and click HsNetCtrl.exe) The spelling may be slightly different
> depending on MMC version. OK
>
> That should do it. Remember DO ALL OF THE ABOVE ON BOTH SERVER AND
> CLIENT.
>
> Now go back to your client open CONFIG EZShare, scan the network and
> see if the server doesn't pop up. Same with server. Scan the network
> and see if the client doesn't show up as :"configured."
>
> Open EasyShare TV on the client, finish out the install, and enjoy.
>
> Ralph O'Rourke

There is no HsNetCtrl.exe, only HsCtrl.exe.

I followed the procedure closely with one difference..
Firewall off, but I added the specified programs to the Windows
Firewall anyway.

I can now establish a connection. The video and audio
appear on my main monitor (1920x1200 LCD) but breaks up
into rectangular blotches after several seconds. It
does display properly when I drag the TV screen to my
secondary monitor.

9.08 / 5.8 on both machines.

Server: 2.4 P4 1GB XP AIW 9600
Client: 3.2 P4 2GB XP AIW X600 Pro

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"