When I go to the control panel and select Windows Firewall,
I am getting the following error message "due to an unidentified problem,
Windows cannot display windows firewall settings". I wanted to check the
status as my T1 internet connection has ground to a halt. Dial-up is OK. I
have run Norton, Adaware, spybot, amd MS antispyware and look good there.
Thoughts?
--
lond(removethis)2310@earthlink.net

Lonnie wrote:

> When I go to the control panel and select Windows Firewall,
> I am getting the following error message "due to an unidentified problem,
> Windows cannot display windows firewall settings". I wanted to check the
> status as my T1 internet connection has ground to a halt. Dial-up is OK. I
> have run Norton, Adaware, spybot, amd MS antispyware and look good there.
> Thoughts?

Please try this:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

If the above didn't help, see if this one works:

"Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

torgeir.
No luck until i went to this step:

If the above didn't help, see if this one works:

"Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

I followed all of the steps on this site up to "last resort solution"
I can now access windows firewall from the control panel without an error
message
Once there its grayed out and i cant make any changes, but i can see the
button is selected showing the firewall is off. When I go to security center
its says firewall is on. Appreciate your suggestions. any other ideas
before i go to the last-resort solution or reinstall windows XP?
--

Lonnie wrote:

> torgeir.
> No luck until i went to this step:
>
> If the above didn't help, see if this one works:
>
> "Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings" error while
> accessing Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
>
> I followed all of the steps on this site up to "last resort solution"
> I can now access windows firewall from the control panel without an error
> message
> Once there its grayed out and i cant make any changes, but i can see the
> button is selected showing the firewall is off. When I go to security center
> its says firewall is on. Appreciate your suggestions. any other ideas
> before i go to the last-resort solution or reinstall windows XP?
Hi,

One last thing you can check before reinstalling:

If you under the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
and/or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it
to 1 and reboot.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Those settings don't exist on my copy of WinXP Pro? what gives...?

Jer

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
: Lonnie wrote:
:
: One last thing you can check before reinstalling:
:
: If you under the registry key
:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
: and/or
:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
: find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it
: to 1 and reboot.
:
:
:
:
: --
: torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
: Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
: the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

When you open firewall.cpl, does it read "...some settings are controlled by
group policy.." or similar?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Jer" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> Those settings don't exist on my copy of WinXP Pro? what gives...?
>
> Jer
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> : Lonnie wrote:
> :
> : One last thing you can check before reinstalling:
> :
> : If you under the registry key
> :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
> : and/or
> :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
> : find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it
> : to 1 and reboot.
> :
> :
> :
> :
> : --
> : torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> : Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> : the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

When I 'run' firewall.cpl, it just brings up the normal firewall. The
firewall is on. ??

Jer

: When you open firewall.cpl, does it read "...some settings are
controlled by
: group policy.." or similar?
:
: --
: Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
: http://windowsxp.mvps.org
:
:
: "Jer" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
: news:OkeU6dsoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > Those settings don't exist on my copy of WinXP Pro? what gives...?
: >
: > Jer
: >
: > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in
message
: > news:uOEnkvooFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > : Lonnie wrote:
: > :
: > : One last thing you can check before reinstalling:
: > :
: > : If you under the registry key
: > :
: >
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
: > : and/or
: > :
: >
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
: > : find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set
it
: > : to 1 and reboot.
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : --
: > : torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
: > : Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
: > : the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
: > : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
: >
: >
:

Are you the same poster as Lonnie?

--

> When I 'run' firewall.cpl, it just brings up the normal firewall. The
> firewall is on. ??
>
> Jer
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> : When you open firewall.cpl, does it read "...some settings are
> controlled by
> : group policy.." or similar?
> :
> : --
> : Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> : http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> :
> :
> : "Jer" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> : news:OkeU6dsoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : > Those settings don't exist on my copy of WinXP Pro? what gives...?
> : >
> : > Jer
> : >
> : > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in
> message
> : > news:uOEnkvooFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : > : Lonnie wrote:
> : > :
> : > : One last thing you can check before reinstalling:
> : > :
> : > : If you under the registry key
> : > :
> : >
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
> : > : and/or
> : > :
> : >
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
> : > : find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set
> it
> : > : to 1 and reboot.
> : > :
> : > :
> : > :
> : > :
> : > : --
> : > : torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> : > : Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> : > : the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> : > : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
> : >
> : >
> :

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

No, I'm someone else with the same problem. I tried to take your advice
and look at the two register entries,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\ find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it to1 and reboot.but I did not see these two entries anywhere. I even did a searchregistery for 'WindowsFirewall'throughout the entire registery and nothing came up, thus my questionabout the entries.Jer"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:%23jNlUJ0oFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...: Are you the same poster as Lonnie?:: --: Ramesh, Windows XP MVP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org::: "Jer" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message: news:%23aFKOG0oFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...: > When I 'run' firewall.cpl, it just brings up the normal firewall.The: > firewall is on. ??: >: > Jer: >: > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message: > news:uJIuJZwoFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...: > : When you open firewall.cpl, does it read "...some settings are: > controlled by: > : group policy.." or similar?: > :: > : --: > : Ramesh, Windows XP MVP: > : http://windowsxp.mvps.org: > :: > :: > : "Jer" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message: > : news:OkeU6dsoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...: > : > Those settings don't exist on my copy of WinXP Pro? whatgives...?: > : >: > : > Jer: > : >: > : > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in: > message: > : > news:uOEnkvooFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...: > : > : Lonnie wrote:: > : > :: > : > : One last thing you can check before reinstalling:: > : > :: > : > : If you under the registry key: > : > :: > : >: >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\: > : > : and/or: > : > :: > : >: >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\: > : > : find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0,set: > it: > : > : to 1 and reboot.: > : > :: > : > :: > : > :: > : > :: > : > : --: > : > : torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway: > : > : Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of: > : > : the 1328 page Scripting Guide:: > : > : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx: > : >: > : >: > :: >: >:

Jer wrote:

> No, I'm someone else with the same problem. I tried to take
> your advice and look at the two register entries,
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
> and/or
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
> find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0,
> set it to1 and reboot.but I did not see these two entries anywhere.
> I even did a searchregistery for 'WindowsFirewall'throughout the entire
> registery and nothing came up, thus my questionabout the entries

Hi,

I was not clear about this in my post about those registry
keys/values, but normally those keys/values does not exist,
and then the system will default to the same as EnableFirewall
set to 1.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Jer,

Are you facing the same problem that Lorne had. Ref: Error "Unable to view
firewall settings" while opening Firewall settings? Or, you're able to open
firewall.cpl settings page, but the options are greyed out? When you open
(or 'run') firewall.cpl, does it read as "For your security, some settings
are controlled by Group Policy" at the top of the applet? If that's the
case, open Gpedit.msc and navigate to:

Computer Configuration => Administrative Templates => System => Network =>
Network Connections => Windows Firewall =>Standard Profile

Set all of the following options to "Not Configured" (defaults)

Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
Windows Firewall: Do not allow exceptions
Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow local program exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception
Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception
Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow Remote Desktop exception
Windows Firewall: Allow UPnP framework exception
Windows Firewall: Prohibit notifications
Windows Firewall: Allow logging
Windows Firewall: Prohibit unicast response to multicast or broadcast
requests
Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow local port exceptions