ATI driver on Linux machine

Hello, I download the latest ATI drivers for my linux machine (Fedora
Core 4) on my laptop, and when I launch "fglrxconfig", I get following:

This program will create the ATI "xorg.conf" file based on your
selections - for the following video cards...
- ATI Radeon 8500 / 9100
- ATI FireGL 8700 / 8800 / E1
- ATI FireGL T2
- ATI Radeon 9000
- ATI Radeon 9200
- ATI Radeon 9500
- ATI Radeon 9600
- ATI Radeon 9700
- ATI Radeon 9800
- ATI FireGL Z1 / X1 / X2
- ATI Mobility M9
- ATI Mobility FireGL 9000
- ATI Mobility M9PLUS
- ATI FireGL V3100 / V5100 / V7100

The problem is that my video-card is a ATI Radeon Mobility M6, which
doesn't appear in the list. What should I do? can this linux driver
still work?
Thanks in advance.
Michel

michelus34 a écrit :
> Hello, I download the latest ATI drivers for my linux machine (Fedora
> Core 4) on my laptop, and when I launch "fglrxconfig", I get following:
>
> This program will create the ATI "xorg.conf" file based on your
> selections - for the following video cards...
> - ATI Radeon 8500 / 9100
> - ATI FireGL 8700 / 8800 / E1
> - ATI FireGL T2
> - ATI Radeon 9000
> - ATI Radeon 9200
> - ATI Radeon 9500
> - ATI Radeon 9600
> - ATI Radeon 9700
> - ATI Radeon 9800
> - ATI FireGL Z1 / X1 / X2
> - ATI Mobility M9
> - ATI Mobility FireGL 9000
> - ATI Mobility M9PLUS
> - ATI FireGL V3100 / V5100 / V7100
>
> The problem is that my video-card is a ATI Radeon Mobility M6, which
> doesn't appear in the list. What should I do? can this linux driver
> still work?
> Thanks in advance.
> Michel

Don't you know this piece of venerable wisdom:
"If it ain't older than five years, it's too new for Linux." ?

For example, USB is new technology on Linux. Checking the level of ink
in printer cartridges is another example among zillions of others...

I'll always support the idea of Linux and open-source OS with all my
heart, but I'll never use it on a computer I'd otherwise have sent to
the computers cemetary.

--
Virez Saddam pour me répondre.
Remove Saddam to reply.

http://www.charles-de-gaulle.org
http://www.francelibre.net
http://www.concours-resistance.org

R.V. Gronoff wrote:
> michelus34 a écrit :
>
>> Hello, I download the latest ATI drivers for my linux machine (Fedora
>> Core 4) on my laptop, and when I launch "fglrxconfig", I get following:
>>
>> This program will create the ATI "xorg.conf" file based on your
>> selections - for the following video cards...
>> - ATI Radeon 8500 / 9100
>> - ATI FireGL 8700 / 8800 / E1
>> - ATI FireGL T2
>> - ATI Radeon 9000
>> - ATI Radeon 9200
>> - ATI Radeon 9500
>> - ATI Radeon 9600
>> - ATI Radeon 9700
>> - ATI Radeon 9800
>> - ATI FireGL Z1 / X1 / X2
>> - ATI Mobility M9
>> - ATI Mobility FireGL 9000
>> - ATI Mobility M9PLUS
>> - ATI FireGL V3100 / V5100 / V7100
>>
>> The problem is that my video-card is a ATI Radeon Mobility M6, which
>> doesn't appear in the list. What should I do? can this linux driver
>> still work?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Michel
>

> Don't you know this piece of venerable wisdom:
> "If it ain't older than five years, it's too new for Linux." ?

Wich is so wrong. All really popular hardware are working well,
sometimes with a small delay, cause company will first create drivers
for Windows, then for other OS, if so. It's more about politics.

> For example, USB is new technology on Linux. Checking the level of ink
> in printer cartridges is another example among zillions of others...

I use Linux for 5 year, and USB support was working fine since I began
to use Linux.

> I'll always support the idea of Linux and open-source OS with all my
> heart, but I'll never use it on a computer I'd otherwise have sent to
> the computers cemetary.

Well, there are some stuff, that you can do with Linux, and wont be
abble to do with Windows.
Linux is free, and I can do everything from Office productivity,
watching video, DVD, play music, editing music and video, programming,
surfing the web, IP telephony, and all that without paying anything, and
without living in a fear of Virus, or be afraid that my security patch
will work properly.
And last but not least, Linux can be put on big server, as on small
watch, and that without a fear that it will crash, doubt Windows is so
flexible. But that's a other debate.