AIW 9800 Pro Display Corruption

I've searched for this problem but can't find a solution. When I start my
computer after it has been powered off for a while (at least 5 minutes), the
display is corrupted by vertical lines alternating with uncorrupted text or
graphics fiom the bios splash screen on. Even the bios setup is corrupted.
If I restart several times, the problem goes away. The problem does not
occur on warm reboot. I thought it might be a power problem, so I replaced
the 430 watt power supply wth a 500 watt. No change. This problem has
occurred in two different systems, and with at least three different
monitors. This card has the small floppy-like power connector. Is this just
a bad card or is there something else I can do. Any help would be
appreciated.

3.0 Pentium 4 (Prescott) w/HT
2 gig dual channel PC3200
Abit IC7
530 watt Mad Dog SurePower (previously Antec 430 watt)
Antec P160 Case
ATI AIW 9800 Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
200 gig Maxtor HD
DVD+R/RW
DVD Rom
Floppy drive

Foy Hurst

martin

Foy Hurst wrote:
> I've searched for this problem but can't find a solution. When I
> start my computer after it has been powered off for a while (at least
> 5 minutes), the display is corrupted by vertical lines alternating
> with uncorrupted text or graphics fiom the bios splash screen on.
> Even the bios setup is corrupted. If I restart several times, the
> problem goes away. The problem does not occur on warm reboot. I
> thought it might be a power problem, so I replaced the 430 watt power
> supply wth a 500 watt. No change. This problem has occurred in two
> different systems, and with at least three different monitors. This
> card has the small floppy-like power connector. Is this just a bad
> card or is there something else I can do. Any help would be
> appreciated.
> 3.0 Pentium 4 (Prescott) w/HT
> 2 gig dual channel PC3200
> Abit IC7
> 530 watt Mad Dog SurePower (previously Antec 430 watt)
> Antec P160 Case
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2
> 200 gig Maxtor HD
> DVD+R/RW
> DVD Rom
> Floppy drive
>
> Foy Hurst

Foy,

Can you see the fan on the 9800 turning when it is running?

It may have siezed. Might be worth giving the fan a good clean. Sometimes if
you lift the sticker off the middle of the fan, you can get a drop of oil
in.

Martin

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Foy Hurst wrote:
> I've searched for this problem but can't find a solution. When I start my
> computer after it has been powered off for a while (at least 5 minutes), the
> display is corrupted by vertical lines alternating with uncorrupted text or
> graphics fiom the bios splash screen on. Even the bios setup is corrupted.
> If I restart several times, the problem goes away. The problem does not
> occur on warm reboot. I thought it might be a power problem, so I replaced
> the 430 watt power supply wth a 500 watt. No change. This problem has
> occurred in two different systems, and with at least three different
> monitors. This card has the small floppy-like power connector. Is this just
> a bad card or is there something else I can do. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> 3.0 Pentium 4 (Prescott) w/HT
> 2 gig dual channel PC3200
> Abit IC7
> 530 watt Mad Dog SurePower (previously Antec 430 watt)
> Antec P160 Case
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2
> 200 gig Maxtor HD
> DVD+R/RW
> DVD Rom
> Floppy drive
>
> Foy Hurst

I've had this problem for about a year now, if it sits for a while it
won't post. Once it gets running there's no problem at all.

Like you I changed power supplies (I had an Antec) because I heard that
the problem seemed to be worse with them, something to do with the high
degree of current protection in their outputs.

ATI took my card back and "fixed" it after I informed them I changed
power supplies. It came back a little better, it would post properly
once in a while.

I've just gone through a week of e-mail support with them, we tried
everything. Now he's found that the board I am using, a Soyo SY-41875P,
has a mention on the Soyo site as having incompatibility with Radeon
cards. So now I am waiting for a reply from Soyo.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get nowhere with this, each of the
makers is going to blame the other one(s).

From my experiments I found that you have to have a high current
available to the motherboard connector. I've had two power supplies
connected to the system, one to the motherboard and the other to the
card connector and the 12v ATX connector on the motherboard. And it
still wouldn't post. It must be down there in the AGP slot that the
bottleneck is. If I get nowhere with tech support (any of them) I'm
tempted to splice together two power supplies into one motherboard
connector. I know it's not a good thing to do, but when the idea is
there. . .

Ray

jk

Just go get yourself a new motherboard and save yourself a lot of
aggravation. The power supplies are not your problem.

JK